Re: [PPLetterpress] Favourite inks?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 9, 2002
      Speaking of inks, I recently received some free inks from an ink company
      here in Cincinnati that had cans and cans they were getting rid of (wrong
      colors, etc.) These are offset inks, so I wasn't expecting much in the way
      of performance for letterpress. The surprise was that some of them have
      printed better than any letterpress inks I have used. I recently got a
      sample of black from them that is the blackest black I have tried. The
      darker colors have proven to print very cleanly and have become my
      favorites. I know it flies in the face of conventional wisdom about
      letterpress inks, but there it is. They are a branch of Superior Printing
      Inks, which I gather is a national outfit.

      Oh, yeah... They also gave me a Vandercook last fall that they weren't using
      anymore for ink proofing.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com

    • LSeastone@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 9, 2002
        Offset inks are ground finer and therefore better for even, unspotted colors.

        Leonard Seastone
      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
          I'm working on a job that is going to require a very light, tasteful page
          border or ornament to be letterpress printed on each page of the book. It
          should be delicate but neither feminine nor masculine. Hard to explain, but
          I know I have seen examples, just can't think where. I have a few things in
          metal that might work, but most are heavier and more ornate in style than
          what I need, so I'll probably end up doing it digitally and making a plate.
          I have looked through all my books about books, printing, design, etc., and
          cannot find any examples of these types of things. Can anyone recommend
          books or other sources where I might find examples of this type of thing?

          Thanks.

        • thronobulx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
            Plenty of offset inks work fine for letterpress. Some has lots of drier in
            them, so one has to be careful not to let them sit on press to long.

            James Shanley
          • LSeastone@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
              Hanco Inks are offered without driers and so can run longer on letterpress.
              Leonard Seastone
            • The Indian Hill Press
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                Katie:

                William Addison Dwiggins designed some Deco-style piece ornaments, as
                well as several dozen lovely borders which he called his Caravan
                series, for Linotype. They've been digitized, I believe by Adobe. You
                can see them in the original metal if you own a late edition of the
                Linotype red specimen book or one of the supplements.

                Dan Waters
                Indian Hill Press

                >I'm working on a job that is going to require a very light, tasteful page
                >border or ornament to be letterpress printed on each page of the book. It
                >should be delicate but neither feminine nor masculine. Hard to explain, but
                >I know I have seen examples, just can't think where. I have a few things in
                >metal that might work, but most are heavier and more ornate in style than
                >what I need, so I'll probably end up doing it digitally and making a plate.
                >I have looked through all my books about books, printing, design, etc., and
                >cannot find any examples of these types of things. Can anyone recommend
                >books or other sources where I might find examples of this type of thing?
                >
                >Thanks.
                >

                >Katie Harper
                >Ars Brevis Press
                >Cincinnati, OH
                >513-233-9588
                >http://www.arsbrevispress.com
              • Bryan Hutcheson
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                  I primarily use rubber base offset inks but thought someone might have a
                  company name they prefer to order from.

                  Oil based inks are ok too as long as they aren¹t too thin. Since I also
                  acquired a shops entire ink cabinet with my windmill, there are some old
                  inks. I even found four unused cans of a German ink that came with the
                  windmill when it was installed. I¹m not opening them or using them...I think
                  they are cool things to have.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                    I even found four unused cans of a German ink that came with the
                    > windmill when it was installed. I1m not opening them or using them...I think
                    > they are cool things to have.

                    Bryan

                    If those German inks say Mandelik on the label best not to open them.
                    Probably full of known carcinogens. Once again, I offer my disposal
                    facilities to you. Just send to the below address and I will take
                    care of them. Oh yeah. Best to leave this kind of thing to the
                    professionals. We're trained in these areas.

                    Gerald Lange
                    The Bieler Press
                    4216-1/4 Glencoe Avenue
                    Marina del Rey, CA 90292
                  • typetom@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                      knharper@... writes:
                      << page border or ornament printed on each page of the book >>
                      Dan Waters' suggestion to look in the linotype specimen book is a good one --
                      many of the old specimen books have examples.

                      You might consider just a simple rule border, single or double hairline, or
                      rule with corner ornaments. The books of SF printer John Henry Nash
                      frequently had pages sub-divided and framed by rule.

                      Dover has several clip-art books that show borders. I'd also check out Bruce
                      Rogers' Paragraphs on Printing to consider the gorgeous delicate hanging
                      borders he did for The Pierrot of the Minute by Ernest Dowson. It's my
                      favorite such invention.

                      As Rogers did, you might consider subduing the border by using a muted second
                      color. A very soft color could tone down even a heavy frame to the right
                      proportions, to subdue the repeated weight of the frame, keeping it in the
                      background, while the text is present in black....
                      Tom
                    • Bryan Hutcheson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                        Gerald,

                        The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach

                        The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@m...> wrote:
                          > Gerald,
                          >
                          > The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach
                          >
                          > The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

                          Bryan

                          Ah, not familiar with Kast & Ehinger

                          Superior black printing ink?

                          But to reply to your question. I've found that stone lithographic
                          inks work well. I use Handschy and Charbonnell. Loads of pigment,
                          stiff, sticky, the usual. I bought the special Midway ink offered
                          from Mr Boxcar and will be trying that out on a forthcoming project.

                          All best

                          Gerald
                        • Kathleen Whalen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                            Katie, take a look at what Theo Rehak has to offer on www.daleguild.com

                            Some nce stuff there.

                            All the best,

                            Graham Moss
                            Incline Press
                            11A Printer Street
                            Oldham OL1 1PN England
                            (44) 0161 627 1966
                            http://www.inclinepress.com
                          • LSeastone@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                              The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
                              pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
                              oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.
                              Leonard Seastone
                            • Katie Harper
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                                Well, now I'm really curious about why I'm getting such good results with
                                thinner, runnier offset inks than I am with the stiff letterpress inks.
                                Sounds like others are liking the stiffer inks better. Does it have to do
                                with my presses? Papers?

                                Another question: I have to replace my Microtek scanner. I don't want to buy
                                another of their products again (long story having to do with lousy
                                support). Am leaning toward HP 3570 cxi, as I have been impressed with HP's
                                support in the past, and this one has a transparency adaptor and 1200 dpi
                                optical resolution. Does anyone have experience with this or similar
                                scanners, or any other recommendations?

                              • Fontdr@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                                  I have a Agfa Duoscan 1200 with transparency adapter and it has been trouble
                                  free for 2 years. HP support is not that good either.
                                  Bob Trogman
                                  Palm Springs
                                • Harold Kyle
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                                    On 9/11/02 6:35 AM, "LSeastone@..." <LSeastone@...> wrote:
                                    > The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
                                    > pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
                                    > oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.

                                    We stock 1 lbs cans of Book Black if you don't want to put in the 27 lbs
                                    minimum order with Midway.

                                    Harold

                                    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                    Boxcar Press
                                    640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                    315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                    www.boxcarpress.com
                                    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                  • LSeastone@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                                      Thank-you Harold,

                                      I have a small gang-up order that someone else is putting through right now.
                                      But a large book of wood-engravings is depleting my supply very quickly so I
                                      will gratefully take you up on the offer.

                                      Is the recipe no. B-17421? If so contact me off list as to payment.

                                      Thanks again,
                                      Leonard Seastone
                                      The Tideline Press