Favourite inks?

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 9 2:08 PM
      So what are everyone¹s favourite ink brands to use with polymer?

      I have a whole shelf of different inks given to me by an old letterpress
      printer. Obviously, the best inks in the batch are no longer
      available...thick and sticky with lots of pigment.

      Bryan

      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€
      Bryan Hutcheson
      Manifesto LetterPress
      116 Pleasant St. #2245
      Easthampton, MA 01027

      p/f: 413.529.0009
      http://www.manifestopress.com
      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€

    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 9 2:35 PM
        Speaking of inks, I recently received some free inks from an ink company
        here in Cincinnati that had cans and cans they were getting rid of (wrong
        colors, etc.) These are offset inks, so I wasn't expecting much in the way
        of performance for letterpress. The surprise was that some of them have
        printed better than any letterpress inks I have used. I recently got a
        sample of black from them that is the blackest black I have tried. The
        darker colors have proven to print very cleanly and have become my
        favorites. I know it flies in the face of conventional wisdom about
        letterpress inks, but there it is. They are a branch of Superior Printing
        Inks, which I gather is a national outfit.

        Oh, yeah... They also gave me a Vandercook last fall that they weren't using
        anymore for ink proofing.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com

      • LSeastone@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 9 3:56 PM
          Offset inks are ground finer and therefore better for even, unspotted colors.

          Leonard Seastone
        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 10 7:04 AM
            I'm working on a job that is going to require a very light, tasteful page
            border or ornament to be letterpress printed on each page of the book. It
            should be delicate but neither feminine nor masculine. Hard to explain, but
            I know I have seen examples, just can't think where. I have a few things in
            metal that might work, but most are heavier and more ornate in style than
            what I need, so I'll probably end up doing it digitally and making a plate.
            I have looked through all my books about books, printing, design, etc., and
            cannot find any examples of these types of things. Can anyone recommend
            books or other sources where I might find examples of this type of thing?

            Thanks.

          • thronobulx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 10 7:21 AM
              Plenty of offset inks work fine for letterpress. Some has lots of drier in
              them, so one has to be careful not to let them sit on press to long.

              James Shanley
            • LSeastone@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 10 10:45 AM
                Hanco Inks are offered without driers and so can run longer on letterpress.
                Leonard Seastone
              • The Indian Hill Press
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 10 11:09 AM
                  Katie:

                  William Addison Dwiggins designed some Deco-style piece ornaments, as
                  well as several dozen lovely borders which he called his Caravan
                  series, for Linotype. They've been digitized, I believe by Adobe. You
                  can see them in the original metal if you own a late edition of the
                  Linotype red specimen book or one of the supplements.

                  Dan Waters
                  Indian Hill Press

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 10 11:47 AM
                    I primarily use rubber base offset inks but thought someone might have a
                    company name they prefer to order from.

                    Oil based inks are ok too as long as they aren¹t too thin. Since I also
                    acquired a shops entire ink cabinet with my windmill, there are some old
                    inks. I even found four unused cans of a German ink that came with the
                    windmill when it was installed. I¹m not opening them or using them...I think
                    they are cool things to have.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 10 3:26 PM
                      I even found four unused cans of a German ink that came with the
                      > windmill when it was installed. I1m not opening them or using them...I think
                      > they are cool things to have.

                      Bryan

                      If those German inks say Mandelik on the label best not to open them.
                      Probably full of known carcinogens. Once again, I offer my disposal
                      facilities to you. Just send to the below address and I will take
                      care of them. Oh yeah. Best to leave this kind of thing to the
                      professionals. We're trained in these areas.

                      Gerald Lange
                      The Bieler Press
                      4216-1/4 Glencoe Avenue
                      Marina del Rey, CA 90292
                    • typetom@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 10 4:03 PM
                        knharper@... writes:
                        << page border or ornament printed on each page of the book >>
                        Dan Waters' suggestion to look in the linotype specimen book is a good one --
                        many of the old specimen books have examples.

                        You might consider just a simple rule border, single or double hairline, or
                        rule with corner ornaments. The books of SF printer John Henry Nash
                        frequently had pages sub-divided and framed by rule.

                        Dover has several clip-art books that show borders. I'd also check out Bruce
                        Rogers' Paragraphs on Printing to consider the gorgeous delicate hanging
                        borders he did for The Pierrot of the Minute by Ernest Dowson. It's my
                        favorite such invention.

                        As Rogers did, you might consider subduing the border by using a muted second
                        color. A very soft color could tone down even a heavy frame to the right
                        proportions, to subdue the repeated weight of the frame, keeping it in the
                        background, while the text is present in black....
                        Tom
                      • Bryan Hutcheson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 10 7:15 PM
                          Gerald,

                          The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach

                          The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 11 1:26 AM
                            --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@m...> wrote:
                            > Gerald,
                            >
                            > The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach
                            >
                            > The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

                            Bryan

                            Ah, not familiar with Kast & Ehinger

                            Superior black printing ink?

                            But to reply to your question. I've found that stone lithographic
                            inks work well. I use Handschy and Charbonnell. Loads of pigment,
                            stiff, sticky, the usual. I bought the special Midway ink offered
                            from Mr Boxcar and will be trying that out on a forthcoming project.

                            All best

                            Gerald
                          • Kathleen Whalen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 11 3:11 AM
                              Katie, take a look at what Theo Rehak has to offer on www.daleguild.com

                              Some nce stuff there.

                              All the best,

                              Graham Moss
                              Incline Press
                              11A Printer Street
                              Oldham OL1 1PN England
                              (44) 0161 627 1966
                              http://www.inclinepress.com
                            • LSeastone@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 11 3:35 AM
                                The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
                                pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
                                oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.
                                Leonard Seastone
                              • Katie Harper
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 11 6:45 AM
                                  Well, now I'm really curious about why I'm getting such good results with
                                  thinner, runnier offset inks than I am with the stiff letterpress inks.
                                  Sounds like others are liking the stiffer inks better. Does it have to do
                                  with my presses? Papers?

                                  Another question: I have to replace my Microtek scanner. I don't want to buy
                                  another of their products again (long story having to do with lousy
                                  support). Am leaning toward HP 3570 cxi, as I have been impressed with HP's
                                  support in the past, and this one has a transparency adaptor and 1200 dpi
                                  optical resolution. Does anyone have experience with this or similar
                                  scanners, or any other recommendations?

                                • Fontdr@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 11 8:00 AM
                                    I have a Agfa Duoscan 1200 with transparency adapter and it has been trouble
                                    free for 2 years. HP support is not that good either.
                                    Bob Trogman
                                    Palm Springs
                                  • Harold Kyle
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 11 8:11 AM
                                      On 9/11/02 6:35 AM, "LSeastone@..." <LSeastone@...> wrote:
                                      > The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
                                      > pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
                                      > oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.

                                      We stock 1 lbs cans of Book Black if you don't want to put in the 27 lbs
                                      minimum order with Midway.

                                      Harold

                                      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                      Boxcar Press
                                      640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                      315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                      www.boxcarpress.com
                                      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                    • LSeastone@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 11 8:34 AM
                                        Thank-you Harold,

                                        I have a small gang-up order that someone else is putting through right now.
                                        But a large book of wood-engravings is depleting my supply very quickly so I
                                        will gratefully take you up on the offer.

                                        Is the recipe no. B-17421? If so contact me off list as to payment.

                                        Thanks again,
                                        Leonard Seastone
                                        The Tideline Press