Mounting bases and halftones

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2000
      Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on the mounting base questions I
      posted last week.!!!!!!!!!

      Also thanks to everyone who gave me info on the halftone question I posted.

    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
        A while back, there was a discussion on this list about scanning either
        grayscale or color artwork and using Photoshop tools to turn the image into
        really nice, clean line art. At least I think that was what we read about. I
        can't seem to find those messages now. Can someone refresh my memory about
        the technique involved? I have an old Victorian print that a customer wants
        me to turn into line art for a letterpress plate. My thinking right now is
        that the most successful method will be to simply redraw the image, tracing
        over it. However, I'm stumped as to what to do with the subtle tonalities of
        grays. Perhaps doing a sort of wood cut effect to render the gray tones
        would be an option.

        Any other suggestions? If you email me offlist, I can send you a PDF of the
        scanned artwork, if that will help.

        Thanks.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
          > A while back, there was a discussion on this list about scanning either
          > grayscale or color artwork and using Photoshop tools to turn the image into
          > really nice, clean line art. At least I think that was what we read about. I
          > can't seem to find those messages now. Can someone refresh my memory about
          > the technique involved?

          > Katie Harper
          > Ars Brevis Press
          > Cincinnati, OH
          > 513-233-9588
          > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

          Katie

          The thread ran in and out from message 775 into the early 800s with a
          follow up or two.

          I believe what you are inquiring about was Mark Attwood's recipe for
          reworking color scans into line work. It works quite well in that
          regard but I have not had similar results with grayscales of line
          art. I've found the "unsharp" feature he discussed seems to
          "splinter" the line work if there is not enough tonal gradation to
          begin with. I've found a reverse procedure, slight application of
          blurring filters, works better in that regard.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
            Katie

            A bit further comment on this:

            I don't trust in the notion that a high resolution scanner alone will
            do the job for you, the higher the better, etc., and that's that.
            Certainly hi-rez will help but not if you rely solely on it. If you
            are going to print the image letterpress you have to get it to a
            state where it will replicate exactingly despite all the additional
            problems associated with presswork; ink gain, impression.

            This requires a bit of handwork; thinning the weighty strokes,
            rebuilding the thin strokes, incorporating ink traps (breaking
            curves, bracketing tight angles, etc), and when possible, the
            construction of inking supports and drains. If you do it right and
            enlarge the piece at all, it will look a bit odd. But the proof is in
            the printing. I find this to be a very intuitive process and relying on
            mathematics and exact pixel configuration isn't actually going to get
            you to where you need to be.

            Gerald
          • cmcgarr1957
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
              I use Photoshop to scan in images either b/w or grayscale. Then I use Adobe
              Streamline to turn it into line art. I've been using Streamline for about 10 years
              and it's wonderful. If you need help with correct setting in Streamline please
              reply. Oh, when scanning in b/w art you must scan in at 1200 resolution to
              keep the integrity of the line, when it is turned into vector art the line remains
              smooth.

              Casey McGarr