Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Trying To Make A Good Impression

    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 1, 2007
      Lisa

      The Centre for Fine Print Research

      http://www.uwe.ac.uk/amd/cfpr/colltext.htm

      would be my first stop. They weren't around when we were doing our work
      with the process.

      A few books:

      The Practice of Collotype by Thomas A Wilson
      The Keepers of Light: A History and Working Guide to Early Photographic
      Processes by William Crawford
      Studio Collotype by Kent B. Kirby
      There is another, older book, like the Wilson, but I can't readily find
      it in the library.

      The Kirby book looks very impressive and comprehensive, until you try to
      follow any of the formulas and what not. The most damned book that has
      ever been in my library.

      This is a horridly difficult process, one that I would never ever want
      to repeat, but am so thankful for the experience. It WILL teach you
      more about printing as a process than you will ever learn from
      letterpress practice, and it can be printed on letterpress presses. We
      used an Albion iron hand press.

      Lisa Davidson wrote:
      > Gerald --
      >
      > What can you recommend to read about collotype printing? I am trying
      > to find out about it, but it's all rather vague.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Lisa
      >

      > On Dec 1, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
      >
      >> Many ink manufacturers
      >> will supply thes old formulas if you are willing to pay a premium. I
      >> was able to pick needed collotype ink that had not been made for over
      >> thirty years simply by asking. And paying :-)

    • okintertype
      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 4, 2007
        Very interesting, and I appreciate the information. I am getting
        ready to try my first. It will be only 100 lines. The engraver
        didn't think he could do anything finer, but 100 was all I wanted.
        Maybe I'll try to find another supplier eventually. I will use
        VanSon's oil base ink. I don't have time to order anything
        different, and if it doesn't work, I'll do a different project
        without halftones.

        Stan

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

        > Back in the summer of 1963, I printed a 16 page booklet for my
        > fraternity on my 10x15 C&P platen. I used 133 line halftones made
        by
        > East Texas Engraving (the Owosso of its day). This job ran twice,
        for
        > a total of 1500 copies. I used a regular letterpress halftone ink
        > which is a soft ink, not hard, and it has a gloss to it. I printed
        > type and halftones together, in 2 page spreads. I used traditional
        > makeready, that is, under the tympan using tissue. The text was 14
        pt
        > Times Roman (linotype), cut lines handset 8 pt ATF Garamond, and
        > heads 18 and 30 pt ATF Bulmer Italic. It is printed on 80# gloss
        > coated paper. I don't recall this being a very difficult job and is
        > typical of what I did at the time in my blissful ignorance of what
        > can and can't be done. See
        >
        > http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2285/2086487480_83074cb7ce_b.jpg
        >
        > for a scan of the largest halftone that after the bleed trim is 32
        > x38 1/2 picas. The actual sheet this particular halftone was
        printed
        > on had 2 facing halftones plus text.
        >
        > I think the key to any of this is to experiment. Tips are great and
        > lead one in the right direction, most of the time. I even bought a
        > new skeleton chase so I could print 11x17 sheets of solid type,
        > firmly beliving that a 10x15 should print that big of a form. As I
        > previously noted, I know better now.
        >
        > And yes, I'm in that picture, in the foreground, standing on the
        > rocks. I still have the jacket, the halftone, the hand set type,
        > except now I also own the ATF Bulmer matrices this type was cast
        > from. And the C&P still turns out work for me on a somewhat regular
        > basis. The Linotype work was cast at Edwin Stuart Typographers in
        > Pittsburgh, and I did the printing in Palo Alto, Calif. I also now
        > have a complete run of Times Roman mats for my linotype--it's just
        > taken a while to accumulate all this stuff.
        >
        > Fritz
        >
        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Barbara
        > >
        > > You've done a pretty good job. Couple of points regarding halftone
        > > images that might be of use in the future.
        > >
        > > First, yes you do have to clean the image quite a bit and often;
        > fast
        > > drying solvent, lint free tight knit cloth and compressed air.
        Lots