Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Trying To Make A Good Impression

  • rpolinski@nac.net
    Message 1 of 51 , Dec 1, 2007
      That came out really nice. The border and ornaments are great; a very nice
      and interesting layout. What kind of ink did you use and did you run the
      border at the same time as the cut? Any special makeready/packing?

      Rich

      > Hi Rich,
      >
      > I'm experimenting with halftones myself. I'm fairly happy with a print
      > I got using a matte inkjet photo paper:
      >
      > http://flickr.com/photos/7929005@N07/2079340658/
      >
      > Barbara
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, rpolinski@... wrote:
      >
      >> I'm definitely going to experiment more including trying some coated
      >> paper. Presently I have only rubber base ink. Any recommendations on
      >> a particular paper or ink?

    • okintertype
      Message 51 of 51 , Dec 4, 2007
        Very interesting, and I appreciate the information. I am getting
        ready to try my first. It will be only 100 lines. The engraver
        didn't think he could do anything finer, but 100 was all I wanted.
        Maybe I'll try to find another supplier eventually. I will use
        VanSon's oil base ink. I don't have time to order anything
        different, and if it doesn't work, I'll do a different project
        without halftones.

        Stan

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

        > Back in the summer of 1963, I printed a 16 page booklet for my
        > fraternity on my 10x15 C&P platen. I used 133 line halftones made
        by
        > East Texas Engraving (the Owosso of its day). This job ran twice,
        for
        > a total of 1500 copies. I used a regular letterpress halftone ink
        > which is a soft ink, not hard, and it has a gloss to it. I printed
        > type and halftones together, in 2 page spreads. I used traditional
        > makeready, that is, under the tympan using tissue. The text was 14
        pt
        > Times Roman (linotype), cut lines handset 8 pt ATF Garamond, and
        > heads 18 and 30 pt ATF Bulmer Italic. It is printed on 80# gloss
        > coated paper. I don't recall this being a very difficult job and is
        > typical of what I did at the time in my blissful ignorance of what
        > can and can't be done. See
        >
        > http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2285/2086487480_83074cb7ce_b.jpg
        >
        > for a scan of the largest halftone that after the bleed trim is 32
        > x38 1/2 picas. The actual sheet this particular halftone was
        printed
        > on had 2 facing halftones plus text.
        >
        > I think the key to any of this is to experiment. Tips are great and
        > lead one in the right direction, most of the time. I even bought a
        > new skeleton chase so I could print 11x17 sheets of solid type,
        > firmly beliving that a 10x15 should print that big of a form. As I
        > previously noted, I know better now.
        >
        > And yes, I'm in that picture, in the foreground, standing on the
        > rocks. I still have the jacket, the halftone, the hand set type,
        > except now I also own the ATF Bulmer matrices this type was cast
        > from. And the C&P still turns out work for me on a somewhat regular
        > basis. The Linotype work was cast at Edwin Stuart Typographers in
        > Pittsburgh, and I did the printing in Palo Alto, Calif. I also now
        > have a complete run of Times Roman mats for my linotype--it's just
        > taken a while to accumulate all this stuff.
        >
        > Fritz
        >
        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Barbara
        > >
        > > You've done a pretty good job. Couple of points regarding halftone
        > > images that might be of use in the future.
        > >
        > > First, yes you do have to clean the image quite a bit and often;
        > fast
        > > drying solvent, lint free tight knit cloth and compressed air.
        Lots