Re: [PPLetterpress] Product for attaching glitter

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2007
      Sherry:

      I asked a similar question a few weeks ago on this list because of a
      job I had to do and the answers were few, but helpful. I would hardly
      ever have reason to do this glitter myself, but it was requested, yet
      the customer also wanted it to be very subtle. The way she described
      it was she wanted a pantone color ink, yet she wanted metal flake in
      it, yet she wanted it "non-metallic." Upon further questioning she
      understood that this was somewhat impossible for me, so she explained
      that she did want glitter, but not so much that the recipient would
      open up the invitation and say "Oooo, glitter!" She ended up saying
      she wanted it as subtle as possible.

      Here is a picture of what I finally did. In order to get it to be
      this subtle, I used my regular oil based ink, which dries very
      quickly. I found that if I printed ten pieces and started applying
      the glitter with a cotton Webril pad to the #1 piece (applying it in
      order of drying time), I could blow and flick it off and wipe it off
      with a clean cotton pad and flick it again, to the point where there
      is just a sparkle here and there. The few pieces I kept as extras
      show me the the glitter is staying stuck. I went to the art store and
      bought a $2 vial of this "embossing" powder, but without applying the
      heat it worked fine as glitter.

      I tried to take a good picture of it here. You can see how few
      sparkles there are in the slightly enhanced inset view, which is just
      what the customer wanted.

      If I were asked to do this with a heavy application of glitter, I may
      switch to rubber based ink, which does not dry quickly. This is about
      all I can tell you from my own experience, which is two hours' worth.

      http://invitesite.com/republic_of_tea_invitation.html

      And another thing. When you work with glitter, clean off a very flat,
      very big space and lay down a big sheet of paper and work in the
      middle of that. When you are finished, very quietly roll the paper
      up, so as to not make any wind and throw it in a windless, covered
      container in a windless room. Even after you take these precautions,
      you may find yourself attracting attention from strangers and friends
      alike.

      Scott Rubel

      On Dec 1, 2007, at 6:13 AM, sherryb552006 wrote:

      > I have a client who would like to print an outline image. Then she
      > wants to fill inselected areas with glitter. Is there a product to
      > use instead of ink that will allow me to print the shapes and add
      > glitter after printingbut while it is still wet. Will the glitter
      > still remain after the product is dry? Thanks for any insight.
      > Sherry Barber

    • Brent Done
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
        My wife has done rubberstamping art work for years (before it became this
        out of control "new" hobby), she uses a product called pearlesscense (i
        think that's the name) it is subtle, works well with rubberbased ink, and
        comes in a multitude of colors and color combinations - It can be found
        online, in rubber stamping stores, and most scrapbook stores.

        cool stuff!

        Brent

        BTW - rubber stampers are even more fanatical than letterpress folks....fair
        warning