Product for attaching glitter

  • sherryb552006
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2007
      I have a client who would like to print an outline image. Then she
      wants to fill inselected areas with glitter. Is there a product to
      use instead of ink that will allow me to print the shapes and add
      glitter after printingbut while it is still wet. Will the glitter
      still remain after the product is dry? Thanks for any insight.
      Sherry Barber
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2007
        Sherry:

        I asked a similar question a few weeks ago on this list because of a
        job I had to do and the answers were few, but helpful. I would hardly
        ever have reason to do this glitter myself, but it was requested, yet
        the customer also wanted it to be very subtle. The way she described
        it was she wanted a pantone color ink, yet she wanted metal flake in
        it, yet she wanted it "non-metallic." Upon further questioning she
        understood that this was somewhat impossible for me, so she explained
        that she did want glitter, but not so much that the recipient would
        open up the invitation and say "Oooo, glitter!" She ended up saying
        she wanted it as subtle as possible.

        Here is a picture of what I finally did. In order to get it to be
        this subtle, I used my regular oil based ink, which dries very
        quickly. I found that if I printed ten pieces and started applying
        the glitter with a cotton Webril pad to the #1 piece (applying it in
        order of drying time), I could blow and flick it off and wipe it off
        with a clean cotton pad and flick it again, to the point where there
        is just a sparkle here and there. The few pieces I kept as extras
        show me the the glitter is staying stuck. I went to the art store and
        bought a $2 vial of this "embossing" powder, but without applying the
        heat it worked fine as glitter.

        I tried to take a good picture of it here. You can see how few
        sparkles there are in the slightly enhanced inset view, which is just
        what the customer wanted.

        If I were asked to do this with a heavy application of glitter, I may
        switch to rubber based ink, which does not dry quickly. This is about
        all I can tell you from my own experience, which is two hours' worth.

        http://invitesite.com/republic_of_tea_invitation.html

        And another thing. When you work with glitter, clean off a very flat,
        very big space and lay down a big sheet of paper and work in the
        middle of that. When you are finished, very quietly roll the paper
        up, so as to not make any wind and throw it in a windless, covered
        container in a windless room. Even after you take these precautions,
        you may find yourself attracting attention from strangers and friends
        alike.

        Scott Rubel

        On Dec 1, 2007, at 6:13 AM, sherryb552006 wrote:

        > I have a client who would like to print an outline image. Then she
        > wants to fill inselected areas with glitter. Is there a product to
        > use instead of ink that will allow me to print the shapes and add
        > glitter after printingbut while it is still wet. Will the glitter
        > still remain after the product is dry? Thanks for any insight.
        > Sherry Barber

      • Brent Done
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
          My wife has done rubberstamping art work for years (before it became this
          out of control "new" hobby), she uses a product called pearlesscense (i
          think that's the name) it is subtle, works well with rubberbased ink, and
          comes in a multitude of colors and color combinations - It can be found
          online, in rubber stamping stores, and most scrapbook stores.

          cool stuff!

          Brent

          BTW - rubber stampers are even more fanatical than letterpress folks....fair
          warning