RE: Digital Simulation?

  • Hrant H Papazian
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
      From: "David Goodrich"
      > There is no question in my mind that the application of
      > computers and digitalization to the graphic arts is in
      > its infancy. Although imitating little lead castings
      > is one possibility, the ultimate use of this technology
      > has not yet even been imagined.

      Very well said. And the eventual maturation of typography will
      hinge in large part on the escape from the "tyranny of the hand",
      as I like to call it. (But fortunately for our Peter, not even
      his grandkids might see that glorious day... :-)

      hhp
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        Fortunately indeed. Maturation of typography???

        Oh, I now recall that our Hrant has some particularly idiosyncratic ideas about 'evolving' the alphabet, and that the part of the hand, as in "hand-writing" keeps frustrating his designs... ;-)

        The "tyranny of the hand" is nothing like the tyranny of the mind.

        The first is capable of acknowledging its mistakes, the second rarely cares to consider the possibility.

        Without the hand involved, the heart will have nothing to do with it. Thus I am quite pleased that said "glorious" day may never come.

        P.

        >From: "David Goodrich"
        >> There is no question in my mind that the application of
        >> computers and digitalization to the graphic arts is in
        >> its infancy. Although imitating little lead castings
        >> is one possibility, the ultimate use of this technology
        >> has not yet even been imagined.
        >
        >Very well said. And the eventual maturation of typography will
        >hinge in large part on the escape from the "tyranny of the hand",
        >as I like to call it. (But fortunately for our Peter, not even
        >his grandkids might see that glorious day... :-)
        >
        >hhp
        >

        >ï To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        >PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >ï Encountering problems? contact:
        >PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >ï To unsubscribe:

        -
        AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa& @

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
        www.semiotx.com Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

        Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
        End Terrorism? End Poverty!

        by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

        The War on Drugs Destroys Too Many Innocent Lives. Enough!
        http://www.dpf.org
      • Hrant H Papazian
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2002
          From: Peter Fraterdeus
          > our Hrant has some particularly idiosyncratic ideas
          > about 'evolving' the alphabet, and that the part of
          > the hand, as in "hand-writing" keeps frustrating his
          > designs... ;-)

          Actually, the only frustration I've noted is on the part of those
          who harbor an unhealthy* reverence for the Latin alphabet or those
          who let their infatuation** with a body part cloud their objectivity,
          in learning that: my Alphabet Reform talk was standing-room-only
          at the ATypI conference of '99, that it was subsequently reviewed
          favorably in the ATypI newsletter as well as ID Magazine, that a
          well-known designer asked me to write a comprehensive essay about
          it for his book***, that in November tipoGraphica magazine will
          publish a translation of that essay, that people are actually
          designing fonts**** according to this effort, et alia.

          * http://www.textmatters.com/pipermail/members/2001-December/015290.html

          ** Might you fit in here too?

          *** http://gunnarswanson.com/GDandR/GDandR_Book.html

          **** http://www.typophile.com/forums/messages/29/1500.html

          > Thus I am quite pleased that said "glorious" day may never come.

          You misread me - that day *will* come.
          And when it does, how will you be remembered?

          hhp