Mounting bases and halftones

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2000
      Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on the mounting base questions I
      posted last week.!!!!!!!!!

      Also thanks to everyone who gave me info on the halftone question I posted.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
        Brian

        Are you working at Prof. Trissel's Press at Colorado College? I'm very glad to hear that the Press survives!

        I knew Jim in the early 90's, he invited me to teach a course on Book Structure. I also designed a bookplate for the press for him...

        He was, of course, very enthusiastic about photo-poly, even then...

        Regarding Gerald's statement below, I hope you'll also consider my thoughts in the "materiality" thread. I am a firm believer in the work of the hand (including letter carving!), but also that the computer should not be dismissed as merely a 'simulator' of 'real' techniques! If one is going to use photons to make an image, it is surely "un-natural" to force them to behave according to the laws of lead, thus belying the 'materials' involved!

        None-the-less, I would also point out that the best typographers, whether in lead or light have also learned to write with a broad pen. The 'rules' of typography which we are 'simulating' on the computer were, of course, first organized by the ancients, in particular Alcuin of York, chief of Charlemagne's scriptorium in Tours (9th C.)... If my Mac is simulating my composing stone, then the stone is a simulation of the writing desk!

        And will leave it at that, not to ruin the prior impression with offsetting ;-)

        Best to you and the Press!

        Peter

        --
        -
        AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa& @

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
        www.semiotx.com Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

        Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
        End Terrorism? End Poverty!
      • David Goodrich
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
          This discussion has been most interesting and I would like to expand it a
          little further.

          Whenever a new technology has been introduced, the first instinct has been
          to apply it so as to mimic the processes already in use. Only after time do
          the possibilities of the new technology become apparent and entirely new
          processes and uses emerge.

          When the industrial revolution first started applying power (water and later
          steam) to perform tasks, the initial devices employed closely imitated the
          hand processes that had been used. Some of the contraptions first devised
          seem pretty ludicrous today. Only after inventors realized that the rotary
          nature of the power drive called for a totally different approach to
          designing machinery did the real benefit appear.

          Similarly, when people first started conceiving robots in the 1930's they
          were little metal men with hands and legs who performed tasks just as people
          would. They were a joke. But today computer driven robots perform all
          sorts of precision tasks in the manufacturing process and they look nothing
          like any human counterpart.

          As Gerald pointed out, computers are simply big adding machines. When IBM
          first applied them to business record keeping, they "emulated" the manual
          bookkeeping procedures that had been developed by large corporations for
          handling thousands of transactions: they sorted, added up and summarized
          individual records and transferred the totals to larger and larger summary
          files of data. It was only when programmers took advantage of the
          computer's capabilities to work with random access memory that the ability
          to manage and use information created a revolution in how business itself is
          conducted.

          In our own narrow field, Gutenberg created a technology that attempted to
          mimic handwritten manuscripts. It took Aldus to recognize that the new
          technology created possibilities for the widespread diffusion of inexpensive
          and easily portable books and he created a new typography suitable to its
          purpose.

          There is no question in my mind that the application of computers and
          digitalization to the graphic arts is in its infancy. Although imitating
          little lead castings is one possibility, the ultimate use of this technology
          has not yet even been imagined.
        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2002
            > There is no question in my mind that the application of computers and
            > digitalization to the graphic arts is in its infancy. Although imitating=
            > little lead castings is one possibility, the ultimate use of this technol=ogy
            > has not yet even been imagined.

            HI David

            Well thought out, but I just have a guestion or two I'd like to pose
            in regard to your last statement here. Perhaps this needs to be
            considered?

            I recently read on that statistical page in Harper's that the
            majority of humans living on the planet have never used a telephone.
            This is an interesting statistic don't you think? What does that say
            for the notion of unimpeded progress for digital technology in a
            world where most folks don't participate? Especially considering that
            our material resources are not infinite and economic decline is
            almost inevitable? (In eight years we will reach the half way point
            in exploiting the earth's "possible" bio mass—another debatable
            statistic but this revealed from the oil industry itself). So,
            perhaps digital technology is not in its infancy, but already in its
            middle age???

            I suppose I sound like a Luddite. I'd like to think I'm not. But to
            put our faith in a continuous technological progress (in which very
            few of us, or any of us, actually play a part) may not exactly be a
            desirable, or realizable, goal.

            I suspect what I have said here would then tend to diminish the value
            of our letterpress work here and now... perhaps. Perhaps not. We do
            live in the here and now. And what we do here and now is what we have
            to offer the future. Just as we were informed by the past, that is also
            what we have to give over. We worked with our hands, and our minds, and
            our hearts. Is that too small a message to send to the future?

            Gerald
          • Sue Clancy
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2002
              Hi all,

              As a former digital addict (I've a BFA in fine art with an emphasis in graphic
              design) - I gotta admit I've fallen back in love with 'the human touch' after years
              of work as a 'graphics' person. So much so that some 5 years back I decided that I
              could no longer stomach my job as a graphic designer/pre-press person at a local
              printing press. (I couldn't contribute to the landfill by creating slick coated
              mass-produced things that had a very very short shelf life - things like media
              guides for sporting events etc.)
              I quit and went to work for myself - making hand made stuff. I won't go into the
              long-winded list of what all I'm doing now, but I LOVE seeing other artists
              letterpress work! I LOVE seeing original pen and ink illustrations. I LOVE doing
              pen and ink illustrations and 're-producing' them via woodcuts or linocuts!
              There's nothing better than getting your hands dirty and making something with a
              personal flavor (both in the creation of, and the reading/looking.)
              There's also nothing better than looking at something someone made with the sweat
              of their brow.
              And there's no better feeling - for me anyway - than after having worked a hard
              days work, settling down in my easy chair with a cold beer knowing that I exerted
              myself body, mind and spirit and that I gave it my all!

              Sue

              bielerpr wrote:

              > > There is no question in my mind that the application of computers and
              > > digitalization to the graphic arts is in its infancy. Although imitating=
              > > little lead castings is one possibility, the ultimate use of this technol=ogy
              > > has not yet even been imagined.
              >
              > HI David
              >
              > Well thought out, but I just have a guestion or two I'd like to pose
              > in regard to your last statement here. Perhaps this needs to be
              > considered?
              >
              > I recently read on that statistical page in Harper's that the
              > majority of humans living on the planet have never used a telephone.
              > This is an interesting statistic don't you think? What does that say
              > for the notion of unimpeded progress for digital technology in a
              > world where most folks don't participate? Especially considering that
              > our material resources are not infinite and economic decline is
              > almost inevitable? (In eight years we will reach the half way point
              > in exploiting the earth's "possible" bio mass—another debatable
              > statistic but this revealed from the oil industry itself). So,
              > perhaps digital technology is not in its infancy, but already in its
              > middle age???
              >
              > I suppose I sound like a Luddite. I'd like to think I'm not. But to
              > put our faith in a continuous technological progress (in which very
              > few of us, or any of us, actually play a part) may not exactly be a
              > desirable, or realizable, goal.
              >
              > I suspect what I have said here would then tend to diminish the value
              > of our letterpress work here and now... perhaps. Perhaps not. We do
              > live in the here and now. And what we do here and now is what we have
              > to offer the future. Just as we were informed by the past, that is also
              > what we have to give over. We worked with our hands, and our minds, and
              > our hearts. Is that too small a message to send to the future?

              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > • Encountering problems? contact:
              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > • To unsubscribe:

            • Katie Harper
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
                A while back, there was a discussion on this list about scanning either
                grayscale or color artwork and using Photoshop tools to turn the image into
                really nice, clean line art. At least I think that was what we read about. I
                can't seem to find those messages now. Can someone refresh my memory about
                the technique involved? I have an old Victorian print that a customer wants
                me to turn into line art for a letterpress plate. My thinking right now is
                that the most successful method will be to simply redraw the image, tracing
                over it. However, I'm stumped as to what to do with the subtle tonalities of
                grays. Perhaps doing a sort of wood cut effect to render the gray tones
                would be an option.

                Any other suggestions? If you email me offlist, I can send you a PDF of the
                scanned artwork, if that will help.

                Thanks.

                Katie Harper
                Ars Brevis Press
                Cincinnati, OH
                513-233-9588
                http://www.arsbrevispress.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
                  > A while back, there was a discussion on this list about scanning either
                  > grayscale or color artwork and using Photoshop tools to turn the image into
                  > really nice, clean line art. At least I think that was what we read about. I
                  > can't seem to find those messages now. Can someone refresh my memory about
                  > the technique involved?

                  > Katie Harper
                  > Ars Brevis Press
                  > Cincinnati, OH
                  > 513-233-9588
                  > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

                  Katie

                  The thread ran in and out from message 775 into the early 800s with a
                  follow up or two.

                  I believe what you are inquiring about was Mark Attwood's recipe for
                  reworking color scans into line work. It works quite well in that
                  regard but I have not had similar results with grayscales of line
                  art. I've found the "unsharp" feature he discussed seems to
                  "splinter" the line work if there is not enough tonal gradation to
                  begin with. I've found a reverse procedure, slight application of
                  blurring filters, works better in that regard.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
                    Katie

                    A bit further comment on this:

                    I don't trust in the notion that a high resolution scanner alone will
                    do the job for you, the higher the better, etc., and that's that.
                    Certainly hi-rez will help but not if you rely solely on it. If you
                    are going to print the image letterpress you have to get it to a
                    state where it will replicate exactingly despite all the additional
                    problems associated with presswork; ink gain, impression.

                    This requires a bit of handwork; thinning the weighty strokes,
                    rebuilding the thin strokes, incorporating ink traps (breaking
                    curves, bracketing tight angles, etc), and when possible, the
                    construction of inking supports and drains. If you do it right and
                    enlarge the piece at all, it will look a bit odd. But the proof is in
                    the printing. I find this to be a very intuitive process and relying on
                    mathematics and exact pixel configuration isn't actually going to get
                    you to where you need to be.

                    Gerald
                  • cmcgarr1957
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2002
                      I use Photoshop to scan in images either b/w or grayscale. Then I use Adobe
                      Streamline to turn it into line art. I've been using Streamline for about 10 years
                      and it's wonderful. If you need help with correct setting in Streamline please
                      reply. Oh, when scanning in b/w art you must scan in at 1200 resolution to
                      keep the integrity of the line, when it is turned into vector art the line remains
                      smooth.

                      Casey McGarr