Fairchild Scan-a-Graver

  • HaikuBooks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      Thanks everyone for the help with the adhesive tape.

      I have another question.

      I bought the following to restore more as a challenge and was wondering
      if anyone has used one. It is a Fairchild Scan-a-Graver made by Fairchild
      Graphic Equipment in Plainview, NY. It has not been made for a long time
      and Fairchild no longer exists. It was used by newspapers to make heat
      engraved halftone plastic plates. You put the image around one side of a
      drum scanner and wrapped the plastic plate around the other cylinder an
      then engaged the burner. It uses vacuum tubes and canister electrolytic
      capacitors.

      I was told it ran 10 years ago before it was stored in a barn. I am
      trying to track down the schematics from the patent office and am having
      a real ordeal tracking down replacement tubes and capacitors. By looking
      at the mechanics of the thing I have a guess as to how it ran but would
      love to hear from someone who has actually used one.

      Thanks,

      Dana
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        They only make halftones--not line engravings. And the halftones generally
        are of very poor quality by modern standards. Be *very cautious* of any
        unused nitrate plates stored in the fireproof vault on the lower right hand
        side. They may be in a state of decomposition at this point and could
        easily explode or cause a major fire should they come into contact with a
        match, cigarette or other flame. Your attempt to refurbish and operate this
        machine may involve more potential risk than reward in an uncontrolled
        environment.

        Cool looking tubes inside, though.

        Just my .02,

        Ed

        I bought the following to restore more as a challenge and was wondering
        if anyone has used one. It is a Fairchild Scan-a-Graver made by Fairchild
        Graphic Equipment in Plainview, NY.
      • Silver MayKitten
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
          For the capacitors try :

          www.newarc.com

          www.allied.avnet.com

          Both have printed catalogs.

          MayKitten

          --- HaikuBooks@... wrote:
          > Thanks everyone for the help with the adhesive tape.
          >
          > I have another question.
          >
          > I bought the following to restore more as a challenge and was
          > wondering
          > if anyone has used one. It is a Fairchild Scan-a-Graver made by
          > Fairchild
          > Graphic Equipment in Plainview, NY. It has not been made for a
          > long time
          > and Fairchild no longer exists. It was used by newspapers to make
          > heat
          > engraved halftone plastic plates. You put the image around one
          > side of a
          > drum scanner and wrapped the plastic plate around the other
          > cylinder an
          > then engaged the burner. It uses vacuum tubes and canister
          > electrolytic
          > capacitors.
          >
          > I was told it ran 10 years ago before it was stored in a barn. I
          > am
          > trying to track down the schematics from the patent office and am
          > having
          > a real ordeal tracking down replacement tubes and capacitors. By
          > looking
          > at the mechanics of the thing I have a guess as to how it ran but
          > would
          > love to hear from someone who has actually used one.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Dana

          =====
          Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?