Re: [PPLetterpress] Mounting base questions

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2000
      Harold and James;

      The base will be milled fairly precisely. The manufacturer said he can mill
      it to 2/10-of-a-thousand-of-an-inch...which seems pretty precise. I am
      having some holes tapped into the side which will allow me to screw in
      handles to remove it from the bed. The base manufacturer didn¹t want to use
      aluminum for this first base but is open to using it later. He ordered a
      piece of no2 steel and he is charging me just for materials

      Anyway, given the wrong set of circumstances, and depending on how much
      coffee, I have had ...there can sometimes be quoins and keys flying around
      my shop anyway. Sometimes there are pink elephants with green stripes...and
      once in awhile, I am pretty sure, the ghosts of the past operators of my C&P
      fly in for a visit.

      The 219 (formerly James Shanley¹s) is itchin¹ for some serious action. I
      will most likely use Harold¹s plastic backed plates for the huge halftone I
      am running...You ready for that Harold?...dust isn¹t to critical of an
      issue...the client is looking for a rough and industrial look.

      Thanx for the info,

      Bryan

      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€
      Bryan Hutcheson
      Manifesto LetterPress
      116 Pleasant St. #2245
      Easthampton, MA 01027

      p/f: 413.529.0009
      http://www.manifestopress.com
      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
        On 9/1/02 3:39 AM, "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@...> wrote:
        > Harold also sells a very good adhesive tape.

        Thanks Mats. I have spent over two years sampling dozens of different
        manufacturers' products, including those by 3M and Tesa, and am confident
        that I stock the adhesive best suited for flatbed letterpress printing.
        Beyond its shear and peel strength this product has many other desirable
        qualities. I sell this adhesive film in rolls (12"x27yd and 18"x27yd) at the
        actual retail price, which, compared to many of its competitive products, is
        quite reasonable.

        Harold

        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        Boxcar Press
        640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
        315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
        www.boxcarpress.com
        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
          On 8/31/02 5:52 PM, "Bryan Hutcheson" <bryan@...> wrote:
          > ....But is it going to cause me expensive headaches in the
          > long-run?

          It depends on how well the bases are machined and how effective your
          mounting system is. Although steel shouldn't cause too many headaches in the
          machining, its weight (105 lbs on that 18x24 versus 36 lbs in aluminum)
          might lead to a backache.

          I'm not sure how you will mount steel-backed plates your steel base. Perhaps
          you could wire an electro-magnet?! I can see it now... Plate drift? Just
          turn up the voltage. After printing, the plate releases from the base at the
          flip of a switch. How convenient! You can scrap metal on the side! Let us
          know what you find.

          Harold

          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        • thronobulx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
            Harold & Brian:

            Wouldn't turning the steel base into an electro magnet, over time, magnetize
            the whole press? My mind's eye sees pica rulers, quoin keys, paper clips,
            etc., flying through the shop to attach themselves to Brian's 219. Sort of a
            Fine Press Movement meets Flubber kind of thing.

            All best,

            James Shanley

          • bielerpr
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
              --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Harold Kyle <harold@b...> wrote:
              > On 8/31/02 5:52 PM, "Bryan Hutcheson" <bryan@m...> wrote:
              > > ....But is it going to cause me expensive headaches in the
              > > long-run?
              >
              > It depends on how well the bases are machined and how effective your
              > mounting system is. Although steel shouldn't cause too many headaches in the
              > machining, its weight (105 lbs on that 18x24 versus 36 lbs in aluminum)
              > might lead to a backache.
              >
              > I'm not sure how you will mount steel-backed plates your steel base. Perhaps
              > you could wire an electro-magnet?! I can see it now... Plate drift? Just
              > turn up the voltage. After printing, the plate releases from the base at the
              > flip of a switch. How convenient! You can scrap metal on the side! Let us
              > know what you find.
              >
              > Harold

              Harold

              Actually an insulated electro magnetic base would solve the problem of plate
              drift. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the one problem one would think it
              would solve. Registration. Once the power is turned off there is no way to
              affix registration guides to the base's surface without resorting to adhesives.
              You are left with the good ole tape and/or marking technique. Not exactly what
              one would have hoped for.