Re: Imagesetter

    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 14, 2007
      Jacob

      I think you should seriously consider why you need this equipment and
      the overall cost benefit of it. If you are not producing a great deal
      of work it would make more sense to outsource for your film negatives.
      I would think such an investment would only pay you back if your were
      to also furnish film negatives to others. If on the only hand, you
      only want it for the personal satisfaction of being able to do your
      work all in house, and cost is not then a factor, well then it does
      not matter.

      I bought a new platemaker a long while back but the only reason I did
      so was that I had a client who was looking at a $6,000 bill for
      platework. I told him I could buy a platemaker for twice that amount
      of money and he generously struck a deal with me. He'd pay for half,
      and I pay for half. I really did not need the platemaker but it did
      serve well for in-house production. But it would not have paid for the
      investment unless I also provided plates for other folks. I do so and
      it supplements my income, but this is hardly something I would want to
      do for a living. Typographic design and printing are far more
      interesting and creatively engaging to me.

      Had I not had such an opportunity I am quite sure I would not have
      given such an acquisition any thought and would be outsourcing for my
      needs. An imagesetter is something I would never consider simply
      because of the ongoing maintenance and and ever changing software
      requirements. In just a matter of a few years the equipment will be
      quite outdated and obsolete. Service bureaus don't seem to be a very
      long lived business venture.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Groth" <jacob@...> wrote:

      > Dear List (especially those familiar with imagesetters),
      >
      > I'm currently researching the possibility of purchasing an
      imagesetter for producing quality negatives for platemaking. I have
      an Interflex A-4 platemaker and am considering options for making
      negatives.

      > Question: are there any imagesetters that only print black? Since
      it is not necessary for me to use color, I'm hoping that there are
      some less expensive models that print only black. It seems that all
      the used imagesetters I've been finding seem to have a lot more
      features than I need - and thus a lot more cost than I'd like.

      > Jacob Groth
      > El Dorado Hills, CA

    • Lisa Davidson
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 27, 2007
        Hi, Autumn,

        Can I ask you something about your Pt/Pd prints? I've just changed
        my method of doing the enlarged digital negatives, and wish I'd done
        it years ago. Do you not like Pictorico OHP much? If you have any
        time to talk about it, that is.

        Thank you,

        Lisa