Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Materiality

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2000
      By materiality are you referring to what Marx, Hegel, the phenomenologists
      and existentialists referred to as materialism?

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
        Bryan

        Well, my undergraduate minor was in Philosophy and half the department was
        made up of phenomenologists and the other half was made of logical positivists
        (if that's the correct term). They were in a constant undeclared war. At any
        rate, I have a fairly ok background in this stuff. In fact, I was considering
        pursing graduate studies under Glenn Gray, one of the more contemporary writers
        on phenomenology.

        So, to answer your question, in terms of a definition of materiality (Katie's
        term), which, by dictionary definition, is a "material nature or quality," only
        by linkage to that meaning. More to the point in terms of the discussion,
        technology, and specifically, typography, I'd think you'd find more clarity in
        this regard, in the work of Robin Kinross, who underpins his theoretical
        arguments in _Modern Typography: An Essay in Critical History_ and _Fellow
        readers: notes on multiplied language_ with consideration for the material
        basis of typography (printing, and the accruements of).

        There are, of course, several phenomenological studies on technology, though
        they are somewhat outdated and do not take into acoount the new digital twist
        in the road. But, we are moving a wee bit off track here I suspect.

        Gerald

        Bryan Hutcheson wrote:

        > By materiality are you referring to what Marx, Hegel, the phenomenologists
        > and existentialists referred to as materialism?
      • Kathleen Whalen
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2002
          Kathy has updated the website, and although she says she's not too pleased
          with the way it looks on the wider screen she has access to at work, I think
          it looks OK on the imac in the office here. Comments welcome!

          But it does include the two latest books, one about some Bewick bookplates
          and the other with some previously unpublished Seamus Heaney poems in it.

          All good wishes

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          11A Printer Street