oil on my rollers

  • amber_ellisseguine
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11 9:41 AM
      I was printing on my windmill last night and I started out by cleaning
      it, (I just got it moved and it has been setting in my new shop where
      a lot of work has been going on so it is a bit dusty) and oiling it
      because the oil was low below the yellow line in th back).

      Everything was fine until I inked my press. I am currently printing a
      transparent background. I am using transparent white with a very small
      amount (about a pinhead) of this blue/purple I mixed myself. I tried
      running the job and I kept getting a green tint to my color. I
      couldn't figure it out for a long time but eventually I discovered it
      was the oil from my press. I watched the press carefully and saw the
      oil getting on the ends of the rollers. The oil seems to be coming off
      of the cylinder.

      My question after this long drawn out story is how to I clean it up
      and stop it from continuing to spread the oil. Any theories on why
      this happened? I have had this problem before but just not nearly as
      bad and because I was printing a solid color it didn't effect the ink.

      I have searched the archives and haven't been able to find anything on
      this topic. I also searched the manual and hints for the pressman, not
      to mention a general web search.

      Thank you all in advance for your help!
      Amber
    • Norman Hicks
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12 11:04 AM
        Hey Amber

        There is a very good local windmill (and cylinder) mechanic, ex
        Heidelberg mechanic�it was Heidelberg in Hong Kong�His name is Sandy
        and his number is 510-589-0318.

        How is cutting now?

        Norman

        Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
        582 6th Street
        San Francisco, California 94103
        United States of America
        415-575-0933
        415-575-0907 fax
        415-725-1670 Norman cell
        415-725-1671 Walter cell
        sales@...
        http://printingequip.com visit us repeatedly!!

        On Nov 11, 2007, at 9:41 AM, amber_ellisseguine wrote:

[...]

      • mikefrommontanan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14 6:06 PM
          This is not an uncommon problem, especially on older Windmills with
          wear on the cylinder bushings. The next time you run the press, keep
          the rollers off the cylinder and turn the press over by hand (drop the
          clutch and turn the flywheel until the cylinder has turned halfway.
          There you should find oil, generally at the edge of the cylinder.
          Clean it off and it will not return until the press has sat overnight.
          If oil is getting on the cylinder quicker than that, expecially while
          you are running, then you certainly need to invest in new bushings for
          the cylinder (ie: call the mechanic -- (: < p)).

          Michael Seitz
          Missoula MT

          (with a 1952 Windmill in the shop).