Re: [PPLetterpress] Mounting base questions

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2 5:29 PM
      Harold and James;

      The base will be milled fairly precisely. The manufacturer said he can mill
      it to 2/10-of-a-thousand-of-an-inch...which seems pretty precise. I am
      having some holes tapped into the side which will allow me to screw in
      handles to remove it from the bed. The base manufacturer didn¹t want to use
      aluminum for this first base but is open to using it later. He ordered a
      piece of no2 steel and he is charging me just for materials

      Anyway, given the wrong set of circumstances, and depending on how much
      coffee, I have had ...there can sometimes be quoins and keys flying around
      my shop anyway. Sometimes there are pink elephants with green stripes...and
      once in awhile, I am pretty sure, the ghosts of the past operators of my C&P
      fly in for a visit.

      The 219 (formerly James Shanley¹s) is itchin¹ for some serious action. I
      will most likely use Harold¹s plastic backed plates for the huge halftone I
      am running...You ready for that Harold?...dust isn¹t to critical of an
      issue...the client is looking for a rough and industrial look.

      Thanx for the info,

      Bryan

      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€
      Bryan Hutcheson
      Manifesto LetterPress
      116 Pleasant St. #2245
      Easthampton, MA 01027

      p/f: 413.529.0009
      http://www.manifestopress.com
      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€

    • Mats Broberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1 12:39 AM
        > I wouldn't recommend these tapes or adhesives with
        > steel-backed plates.
        > I assume the steel-backs were developed for magnetic plates? But I'd
        > also fear they would not release well without damaging the
        > steel backing
        > (bending, kinks etc), but I'm just suspecting this as I've
        > never used steel-backs with film or transfer adhesives.

        Correct - using an adhesive tape with steel-backed photopolymer plates
        does bend and kink the plate. I had some problems with that myself when
        switching from magnetic bases to aluminium bases until Harold Kyle (of
        Boxcar Press) recommended me to switch from steel-backed plates to
        polyester-backed plates at the same time.

        When it comes to adhesive tapes, I have have had successful results with
        Tesa's specialty tape TESAPRINT 53210:

        http://www.tesatape.com/professional/industry/detail2/0,1024,4587,00.htm

        Harold also sells a very good adhesive tape.

        Best regards,
        Mats Broberg
      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2 6:18 AM
          On 9/1/02 3:39 AM, "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@...> wrote:
          > Harold also sells a very good adhesive tape.

          Thanks Mats. I have spent over two years sampling dozens of different
          manufacturers' products, including those by 3M and Tesa, and am confident
          that I stock the adhesive best suited for flatbed letterpress printing.
          Beyond its shear and peel strength this product has many other desirable
          qualities. I sell this adhesive film in rolls (12"x27yd and 18"x27yd) at the
          actual retail price, which, compared to many of its competitive products, is
          quite reasonable.

          Harold

          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          Boxcar Press
          640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
          315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
          www.boxcarpress.com
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2 6:42 AM
            On 8/31/02 5:52 PM, "Bryan Hutcheson" <bryan@...> wrote:
            > ....But is it going to cause me expensive headaches in the
            > long-run?

            It depends on how well the bases are machined and how effective your
            mounting system is. Although steel shouldn't cause too many headaches in the
            machining, its weight (105 lbs on that 18x24 versus 36 lbs in aluminum)
            might lead to a backache.

            I'm not sure how you will mount steel-backed plates your steel base. Perhaps
            you could wire an electro-magnet?! I can see it now... Plate drift? Just
            turn up the voltage. After printing, the plate releases from the base at the
            flip of a switch. How convenient! You can scrap metal on the side! Let us
            know what you find.

            Harold

            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          • thronobulx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2 8:55 AM
              Harold & Brian:

              Wouldn't turning the steel base into an electro magnet, over time, magnetize
              the whole press? My mind's eye sees pica rulers, quoin keys, paper clips,
              etc., flying through the shop to attach themselves to Brian's 219. Sort of a
              Fine Press Movement meets Flubber kind of thing.

              All best,

              James Shanley

            • bielerpr
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2 9:58 PM
                --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Harold Kyle <harold@b...> wrote:
                > On 8/31/02 5:52 PM, "Bryan Hutcheson" <bryan@m...> wrote:
                > > ....But is it going to cause me expensive headaches in the
                > > long-run?
                >
                > It depends on how well the bases are machined and how effective your
                > mounting system is. Although steel shouldn't cause too many headaches in the
                > machining, its weight (105 lbs on that 18x24 versus 36 lbs in aluminum)
                > might lead to a backache.
                >
                > I'm not sure how you will mount steel-backed plates your steel base. Perhaps
                > you could wire an electro-magnet?! I can see it now... Plate drift? Just
                > turn up the voltage. After printing, the plate releases from the base at the
                > flip of a switch. How convenient! You can scrap metal on the side! Let us
                > know what you find.
                >
                > Harold

                Harold

                Actually an insulated electro magnetic base would solve the problem of plate
                drift. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the one problem one would think it
                would solve. Registration. Once the power is turned off there is no way to
                affix registration guides to the base's surface without resorting to adhesives.
                You are left with the good ole tape and/or marking technique. Not exactly what
                one would have hoped for.