Re: Vandercook SP15 question

  • splitflexi
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      Jonathan Palmer wrote:

      > Does anyone have any experience, assuming its
      > possible, attaching a motor to a manual SP15. Any
      > links, suggestions or help would be greatly
      > appreciated
      > Thanks
      > Jon

      When I read this I assumed you were talking about motorizing the
      manual INKING on an SP15, but then read the first response which
      referred to motorizing the carriage travel. So, which is it that you
      want to do?

      Not sure if either can be done simply or practically, although I've
      thought about motorizing the hand-cranked inking system on my SP15
      (hand-wheel on forward form roller, no ink drum reservoir). Decided it
      would be overkill and not really a gain in productivity. I can run
      enough paper through my press in an hour (100-150 sheets), by my own
      power alone, for my admittedly modest needs. What are you trying to
      achieve? Ease of operation, speed up production? Just my opinion, but
      it seems like this model press already excels at the former, while the
      latter may not really be appropriate in the first place.

      Duncan Dempster
      Honolulu, Hawaii
    • dragonflypaperpress
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
        Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to see if it's possible to motorize the manual inking system. I
        definitely don't want to motorize the carriage travel. The press isn't mine, its an
        organization that has asked me to see if it's possible.
        Cheers
        Jon

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
          Jon

          I'd suggest leaving it alone. Some very renown printers prefer the
          manual inking. I learned on one of them myself and while I don't have
          one, I think they are preferable in regard to controlling the inking.
          A bit slower in operation but if you are looking for speed in
          production printing, the Vandercook is the wrong type of press in the
          first place.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "dragonflypaperpress"