Re: [PPLetterpress] Vandercook SP15 question

  • Halton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi Jonathan, the least expensive motive power might
      well be an apprentice. Joking aside, the motor drives
      on "Vandy Universal Series"
      are unique to them. The motor was specially built for
      them with right angle gearing and are no longer
      available. Mine was rewound at a cost of nearly $500.
      The cable attached from press to motor has 8-#12 wires
      and I replaced it with 2 4-conductor cables. Then you
      would need a control box to handle the limit switches
      at both ends of the press and also controls speed and
      braking as well. All said, I would recommend that you
      enjoy the SP as it is . . .or keep an eye out for a
      good Universal.
      Regards Joe Halton
      --- Jonathan Palmer <dragonflypaperpress@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone have any experience, assuming its
      > possible, attaching a motor to a manual SP15. Any
      > links, suggestions or help would be greatly
      > appreciated
      > Thanks
      > Jon

      > protection around
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • splitflexi
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
        Jonathan Palmer wrote:

        > Does anyone have any experience, assuming its
        > possible, attaching a motor to a manual SP15. Any
        > links, suggestions or help would be greatly
        > appreciated
        > Thanks
        > Jon

        When I read this I assumed you were talking about motorizing the
        manual INKING on an SP15, but then read the first response which
        referred to motorizing the carriage travel. So, which is it that you
        want to do?

        Not sure if either can be done simply or practically, although I've
        thought about motorizing the hand-cranked inking system on my SP15
        (hand-wheel on forward form roller, no ink drum reservoir). Decided it
        would be overkill and not really a gain in productivity. I can run
        enough paper through my press in an hour (100-150 sheets), by my own
        power alone, for my admittedly modest needs. What are you trying to
        achieve? Ease of operation, speed up production? Just my opinion, but
        it seems like this model press already excels at the former, while the
        latter may not really be appropriate in the first place.

        Duncan Dempster
        Honolulu, Hawaii
      • dragonflypaperpress
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
          Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to see if it's possible to motorize the manual inking system. I
          definitely don't want to motorize the carriage travel. The press isn't mine, its an
          organization that has asked me to see if it's possible.
          Cheers
          Jon

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
            Jon

            I'd suggest leaving it alone. Some very renown printers prefer the
            manual inking. I learned on one of them myself and while I don't have
            one, I think they are preferable in regard to controlling the inking.
            A bit slower in operation but if you are looking for speed in
            production printing, the Vandercook is the wrong type of press in the
            first place.

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "dragonflypaperpress"