Vandercook SP15 question

  • Jonathan Palmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      Does anyone have any experience, assuming its
      possible, attaching a motor to a manual SP15. Any
      links, suggestions or help would be greatly
      appreciated
      Thanks
      Jon

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Halton
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hi Jonathan, the least expensive motive power might
        well be an apprentice. Joking aside, the motor drives
        on "Vandy Universal Series"
        are unique to them. The motor was specially built for
        them with right angle gearing and are no longer
        available. Mine was rewound at a cost of nearly $500.
        The cable attached from press to motor has 8-#12 wires
        and I replaced it with 2 4-conductor cables. Then you
        would need a control box to handle the limit switches
        at both ends of the press and also controls speed and
        braking as well. All said, I would recommend that you
        enjoy the SP as it is . . .or keep an eye out for a
        good Universal.
        Regards Joe Halton
        --- Jonathan Palmer <dragonflypaperpress@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone have any experience, assuming its
        > possible, attaching a motor to a manual SP15. Any
        > links, suggestions or help would be greatly
        > appreciated
        > Thanks
        > Jon

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • splitflexi
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
          Jonathan Palmer wrote:

          > Does anyone have any experience, assuming its
          > possible, attaching a motor to a manual SP15. Any
          > links, suggestions or help would be greatly
          > appreciated
          > Thanks
          > Jon

          When I read this I assumed you were talking about motorizing the
          manual INKING on an SP15, but then read the first response which
          referred to motorizing the carriage travel. So, which is it that you
          want to do?

          Not sure if either can be done simply or practically, although I've
          thought about motorizing the hand-cranked inking system on my SP15
          (hand-wheel on forward form roller, no ink drum reservoir). Decided it
          would be overkill and not really a gain in productivity. I can run
          enough paper through my press in an hour (100-150 sheets), by my own
          power alone, for my admittedly modest needs. What are you trying to
          achieve? Ease of operation, speed up production? Just my opinion, but
          it seems like this model press already excels at the former, while the
          latter may not really be appropriate in the first place.

          Duncan Dempster
          Honolulu, Hawaii
        • dragonflypaperpress
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
            Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to see if it's possible to motorize the manual inking system. I
            definitely don't want to motorize the carriage travel. The press isn't mine, its an
            organization that has asked me to see if it's possible.
            Cheers
            Jon

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
              Jon

              I'd suggest leaving it alone. Some very renown printers prefer the
              manual inking. I learned on one of them myself and while I don't have
              one, I think they are preferable in regard to controlling the inking.
              A bit slower in operation but if you are looking for speed in
              production printing, the Vandercook is the wrong type of press in the
              first place.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "dragonflypaperpress"