Re: [PPLetterpress] Mounting base questions

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2000
      Harold and James;

      The base will be milled fairly precisely. The manufacturer said he can mill
      it to 2/10-of-a-thousand-of-an-inch...which seems pretty precise. I am
      having some holes tapped into the side which will allow me to screw in
      handles to remove it from the bed. The base manufacturer didn¹t want to use
      aluminum for this first base but is open to using it later. He ordered a
      piece of no2 steel and he is charging me just for materials

      Anyway, given the wrong set of circumstances, and depending on how much
      coffee, I have had ...there can sometimes be quoins and keys flying around
      my shop anyway. Sometimes there are pink elephants with green stripes...and
      once in awhile, I am pretty sure, the ghosts of the past operators of my C&P
      fly in for a visit.

      The 219 (formerly James Shanley¹s) is itchin¹ for some serious action. I
      will most likely use Harold¹s plastic backed plates for the huge halftone I
      am running...You ready for that Harold?...dust isn¹t to critical of an
      issue...the client is looking for a rough and industrial look.

      Thanx for the info,

      Bryan

      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€
      Bryan Hutcheson
      Manifesto LetterPress
      116 Pleasant St. #2245
      Easthampton, MA 01027

      p/f: 413.529.0009
      http://www.manifestopress.com
      €‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹€

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2002
        > I went to the 3M site and found lots, actually too much. This was the
        > choice I found for tapes. They each seem to have a catalog. Which one
        > where you referring too?
        >
        > Dana

        Dana

        I went through the catalog looking for specific characteristics: 1)
        high or excellent shear strength and 2) easy release. These are the
        tapes I found (though there may be newer tapes and transfer adhesives
        on the market):

        400 Double-coated tissue tape. 50 oz/in adhesion. .13 mm thick
        404 Double-coated tissue tape. 55 oz/in adhesion. .13 mm thick
        410 Double-coated tissue tape. 50 oz/in adhesion. .11 mm thick
        442 Double-coated film tape. 50 oz/in adhesion. .09 mm thick
        947 Double-coated tape. 50 oz/in adhesion. .11 mm thick

        I don't have the specs on the adhesive Boxcar is selling but
        from my experience with it, I would certainly say it does the job.

        To que in here on Bryon's question:

        I wouldn't recommend these tapes or adhesives with steel-backed plates.
        I assume the steel-backs were developed for magnetic plates? But I'd
        also fear they would not release well without damaging the steel backing
        (bending, kinks etc), but I'm just suspecting this as I've never used
        steel-backs with film or transfer adhesives.

        Gerald
      • Mats Broberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
          > I wouldn't recommend these tapes or adhesives with
          > steel-backed plates.
          > I assume the steel-backs were developed for magnetic plates? But I'd
          > also fear they would not release well without damaging the
          > steel backing
          > (bending, kinks etc), but I'm just suspecting this as I've
          > never used steel-backs with film or transfer adhesives.

          Correct - using an adhesive tape with steel-backed photopolymer plates
          does bend and kink the plate. I had some problems with that myself when
          switching from magnetic bases to aluminium bases until Harold Kyle (of
          Boxcar Press) recommended me to switch from steel-backed plates to
          polyester-backed plates at the same time.

          When it comes to adhesive tapes, I have have had successful results with
          Tesa's specialty tape TESAPRINT 53210:

          http://www.tesatape.com/professional/industry/detail2/0,1024,4587,00.htm

          Harold also sells a very good adhesive tape.

          Best regards,
          Mats Broberg
        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
            On 9/1/02 3:39 AM, "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@...> wrote:
            > Harold also sells a very good adhesive tape.

            Thanks Mats. I have spent over two years sampling dozens of different
            manufacturers' products, including those by 3M and Tesa, and am confident
            that I stock the adhesive best suited for flatbed letterpress printing.
            Beyond its shear and peel strength this product has many other desirable
            qualities. I sell this adhesive film in rolls (12"x27yd and 18"x27yd) at the
            actual retail price, which, compared to many of its competitive products, is
            quite reasonable.

            Harold

            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
            Boxcar Press
            640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
            315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
            www.boxcarpress.com
            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
              On 8/31/02 5:52 PM, "Bryan Hutcheson" <bryan@...> wrote:
              > ....But is it going to cause me expensive headaches in the
              > long-run?

              It depends on how well the bases are machined and how effective your
              mounting system is. Although steel shouldn't cause too many headaches in the
              machining, its weight (105 lbs on that 18x24 versus 36 lbs in aluminum)
              might lead to a backache.

              I'm not sure how you will mount steel-backed plates your steel base. Perhaps
              you could wire an electro-magnet?! I can see it now... Plate drift? Just
              turn up the voltage. After printing, the plate releases from the base at the
              flip of a switch. How convenient! You can scrap metal on the side! Let us
              know what you find.

              Harold

              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
            • thronobulx@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
                Harold & Brian:

                Wouldn't turning the steel base into an electro magnet, over time, magnetize
                the whole press? My mind's eye sees pica rulers, quoin keys, paper clips,
                etc., flying through the shop to attach themselves to Brian's 219. Sort of a
                Fine Press Movement meets Flubber kind of thing.

                All best,

                James Shanley

              • bielerpr
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
                  --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Harold Kyle <harold@b...> wrote:
                  > On 8/31/02 5:52 PM, "Bryan Hutcheson" <bryan@m...> wrote:
                  > > ....But is it going to cause me expensive headaches in the
                  > > long-run?
                  >
                  > It depends on how well the bases are machined and how effective your
                  > mounting system is. Although steel shouldn't cause too many headaches in the
                  > machining, its weight (105 lbs on that 18x24 versus 36 lbs in aluminum)
                  > might lead to a backache.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure how you will mount steel-backed plates your steel base. Perhaps
                  > you could wire an electro-magnet?! I can see it now... Plate drift? Just
                  > turn up the voltage. After printing, the plate releases from the base at the
                  > flip of a switch. How convenient! You can scrap metal on the side! Let us
                  > know what you find.
                  >
                  > Harold

                  Harold

                  Actually an insulated electro magnetic base would solve the problem of plate
                  drift. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the one problem one would think it
                  would solve. Registration. Once the power is turned off there is no way to
                  affix registration guides to the base's surface without resorting to adhesives.
                  You are left with the good ole tape and/or marking technique. Not exactly what
                  one would have hoped for.