ATF Little Giant

  • lisaxdavidson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2007
      Hi, everybody,

      I know a while ago someone posted pictures of their Little Giant press running. I have an
      opportunity to buy one of these, I think. Is it unusually difficult to maintain and run, or is
      there anything I ought to know about them? I looked at the manual and had the usual "Oh
      my God" moment about all the oiling, etc. Maybe again these directions only apply if you
      run it day and night. Is this true? If anyone can tell me anything about this press I would be
      extremely grateful, any idiosyncrasies or whatever.

      Thank you,

      Lisa Davidson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
        Lisa

        I suspect that before one buys such a press they should consider what
        they want it for. This based on what you do or what you want to do.
        From your previous posts here, I am not yet sure.

        Yes, production presses require a great deal of attention to
        lubrication or they just might grind down to a steaming hunk of junk.
        When a manufacturer specifies a lubrication schedule, yes, they are
        assuming industrial usage. Should you lubricate based on this
        recommendation? yes.

        If you have any press, great or small, should you lubricate it every
        time you use it? Well, yes, if you want it to last. And, pass on.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "lisaxdavidson"
        <lisaxdavidson@...> wrote:

        > Hi, everybody,
        >
        > I know a while ago someone posted pictures of their Little Giant
        press running. I have an
        > opportunity to buy one of these, I think. Is it unusually difficult
        to maintain and run, or is
        > there anything I ought to know about them? I looked at the manual
        and had the usual "Oh
        > my God" moment about all the oiling, etc. Maybe again these
        directions only apply if you
        > run it day and night. Is this true? If anyone can tell me anything
        about this press I would be
        > extremely grateful, any idiosyncrasies or whatever.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Lisa Davidson

      • Rick Shearer
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
          Hi

          Why do people worry so much about taking care of a machine as far as oil and grease? That is a very simple thing to do and makes a machine last a long time. The thing you should worry about is will I be able to run it and will it do what I need it to do. This takes skill to do, anyone with a thought process should be able to oil. Not to say you over look it as not being important, as it is, but that would not be a cosideration in buying it. Rick

          Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
          Lisa

          I suspect that before one buys such a press they should consider what
          they want it for. This based on what you do or what you want to do.
          From your previous posts here, I am not yet sure.

          <lisaxdavidson@...> wrote:

          > Hi, everybody,
          >
          > I know a while ago someone posted pictures of their Little Giant
          press running. I have an
          > opportunity to buy one of these, I think. Is it unusually difficult
          to maintain and run, or is
          > there anything I ought to know about them? I looked at the manual
          and had the usual "Oh
          > my God" moment about all the oiling, etc. Maybe again these
          directions only apply if you
          > run it day and night. Is this true? If anyone can tell me anything
          about this press I would be
          > extremely grateful, any idiosyncrasies or whatever.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Lisa Davidson

        • Lisa Davidson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
            Hi, Gerald, Greg, John, Chad, and future others,

            Thank you all for your replies, which I will meditate upon. And yes,
            Gerald, you're right, I'm not quite sure what my place in this world
            is yet, but, and "that's a big but," the art students are putting the
            Vandercook press prices up so high that I think I'm being squeezed
            upwardly into the world of the super-press, heavy-duty, high
            production "real" press that makes exciting noises and is for some
            reason mysteriously cheap, or at least reasonable. So . . . why
            not? It's not a four-color Japanese-made offset press the size of a
            house and priced like one, so it seems forgivable. By that, of
            course, I mean that I don't need it to live, but I like it.

            Lisa

            On Oct 30, 2007, at 12:28 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

            > Lisa
            >
            > I suspect that before one buys such a press they should consider what
            > they want it for. This based on what you do or what you want to do.
            > From your previous posts here, I am not yet sure.
            >
            > Yes, production presses require a great deal of attention to
            > lubrication or they just might grind down to a steaming hunk of junk.
            > When a manufacturer specifies a lubrication schedule, yes, they are
            > assuming industrial usage. Should you lubricate based on this
            > recommendation? yes.
            >
            > If you have any press, great or small, should you lubricate it every
            > time you use it? Well, yes, if you want it to last. And, pass on.
            >
            > Gerald
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "lisaxdavidson"
            > <lisaxdavidson@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, everybody,
            > >
            > > I know a while ago someone posted pictures of their Little Giant
            > press running. I have an
            > > opportunity to buy one of these, I think. Is it unusually difficult
            > to maintain and run, or is
            > > there anything I ought to know about them? I looked at the manual
            > and had the usual "Oh
            > > my God" moment about all the oiling, etc. Maybe again these
            > directions only apply if you
            > > run it day and night. Is this true? If anyone can tell me anything
            > about this press I would be
            > > extremely grateful, any idiosyncrasies or whatever.
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > Lisa Davidson

          • David McNamara
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
              Ah, but they're not mysteriously cheap. Don't forget that relocation is part of a press's cost. (And that's not to mention the cost of housing it.)
              __

              David

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
                At 2:33 PM -0400 30 10 07, David McNamara wrote:
                >Ah, but they're not mysteriously cheap. Don't forget that relocation is part of a press's cost. (And that's not to mention the cost of housing it.)

                And once they're under your roof, it becomes a difficult thing to get them out again ;-)

                PF

                Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus