Photopolymer Plate Usage

  • k_risseeuw
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2007
      Hello,
      I am doing research about the use of photopolymer plates in contemporary
      letterpress shops for a graduate class at the University of Texas -
      Austin. I would love as many responses to the following questions as
      possible. While paper will not be quantitative, I am interested in
      representing the changes in traditional letterpress. Please copy/paste
      the questions and respond to me offlist at kt.risseeuw@....

      Let me know if you have any questions or would like more information.
      Thank you for your time!

      -Katie Risseeuw

      Photopolymer Plate Questions

      1. Do you use polymer plates in your shop?

      2. Does the shop have metal type? How much, generally (i.e., typefaces,
      sizes, drawers, etc.)?

      3. Do you expose the plates yourself or have them made for you?
      a. What exposure unit do you have?
      b. Do you use automatic washout or hand washout?
      c. Do you use metal-backed plates or adhesive-backed?

      4. Do you make the films yourself? For example, you have access to an
      Imagesetter, make your own digital transparencies from a printer, use a
      copy camera to make films, or make photocopied transparencies.

      5. Do you use polymer plates for images and text? One more than the
      other?

      6. If you use polymer plates for text, do you buy digital typefaces?
      Any favorite or hated typefaces, favorite font companies, and why?

      7. What are the conditions that cause you to choose polymer text or
      illustrations for a new work? For example, in text, wanting a preferred
      non-metal typeface, lack of quantity or size of a metal typeface, or
      difficult tyographic design. For illustrations, is polymer easier than
      relief (wood or lino, etc.), intaglio, and litho images (excluding
      different press requirements)?

      8. How did you learn to use polymer plates? Workshop, college shop
      training, commercial shop training, friends, manufacturer's
      instructions, discussion list assistance, etc.

      9. What kind of presses are you printing on?

      10. Is the use of photopolymer plates integral to the shop? Is it
      slowly becoming that way?

      11. What kind of work does your shop print, primarily? For example,
      books, posters, business cards and stationery, greeting cards, etc.

    • Robert E Blesse
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2007
        Dear Katie,

        Attached is a Word document answering the questions you asked on your email to this PPLetterpress group. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

        I assume you are related to John; daughter? John and I have been good friends for many years as both of us are in charge of college book arts programs.

        I'd be interested in hearing the results of your survey.

        Best,

        Bob Blesse

        Robert E. Blesse
        Director, The Black Rock Press
        Department of Art, School of the Arts
        Address:
        University Library MS 322
        University of Nevada, Reno
        Reno, NV 89557-0044

        775-682-5630 - Office
        775-233-2546 - Cell
        blesse@... <mailto:blesse@...>
        www.blackrockpress.org <http://www.blackrockpress.org/>

        the questions and respond to me offlist at kt.risseeuw@... <mailto:kt.risseeuw%40gmail.com> .

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2007
          Hi,
          Thank you so much to all who responded to this survey. If you haven't
          yet, please still do! I appreciate all the replies very much, and my
          paper is coming along pretty well!

          Thanks again,
          Katie

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "k_risseeuw" <kt.risseeuw@...>