Re: [PPLetterpress] Scoring on a Heidleberg Platen

  • Ian Bristow
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
      Thanks Allen, worked excellent. Brilliant Idea, I'm leaving that rule locked up for future use.

      All the best
      Ian

      Allen Stump <adstump@...> wrote: ' Evening List, et al -

      A work around to score the full width of a card, past the brass guide

      Take rollers off.

      Cut a piece of 2 pt scoring rule to the total
      width of card, Grind out a notch just enough to
      clear the bottom of the chase so that it hangs
      over to the scribed line on the chase for brass
      guides.

      Lock up. Get position, normal packing plus tympan
      (for .918 rule). Be sure score is between brass
      guides.

      Ink rule with thumb/or - print on tympan.

      Affix a piece of 2 pt scoring rule (flat ways)
      about 18 pts - (not enough to hit guide bar) past
      the bottom edge of platen centered on the mark,
      remove packing - leaving just the tympan + rule

      Cut channel scoring matrix to suit, attach to
      flat rule, peel off channel leaving the matrix to
      the very bottom of flat rule. Keeping in mind, of
      course, to just roll over once to attach, the
      grippers will wipe off the channel other wise

      The score may be a bit weaker on the 14 pts that
      the brass guides need, but it works in a pinch.

      Any ?'s - give me a shout.

      Regards,

      Allen

      P. S. I'll be signing off the list come Monday -
      going out of the country for a month. I'll be
      back the first week of December
      --

      a Mano Press ¶ A. D. Stump, Printer
      22568 Mission Blvd. # 504 Hayward, CA 94541