Re: Plate output quality

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2007
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E Blesse" <blesse@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks, Gerald. I called them and was told that they are now
      outputting two kinds of film, a matte-based and glossy.

      Some plates require matte film, others do not.
      The Rigilon HX I use has a matte suface on the plate, works with
      smooth film; Miraclon MS wants matte film. If both film and plate have
      a smooth surface, they can stick together and trap air leading to bad
      contact, which will cause filling and indistinct edges.
      If your exposure unit has a flexible cover you can improve contact
      with roller or burnisher. But in a glass contact frame that can't be
      done, and if you don't trim the edges of the plate material cleanly,
      there may be a ridge that acts like a gasket, trapping air.
      --Eric Holub, SF