[Fwd: Re: confounding question from Lynne Avadenka

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
      Lynne

      I mix a bit of William Everson theories along with Lewis Allen. Gives
      it more of that medieval organism feel.

      Yeah, I think the tendency is to want to make it "damp" where in
      actuality that is more like the practice of less experienced
      letterpress printers when it comes to inking, and thinking that adding
      more ink will solve a problem, when in most cases this is just
      covering up a problem and creating another.

      Apply the same idea to paper dampening, basically, less is more. Take
      away the words, wet, damp, moist. Dampening is really only meant to
      make the paper more supple by invigorating the fibers.

      I came across some technical information a while back that I think
      explains the rationale a bit. I'll try to paraphrase. Technically,
      cellulose is viscoelastic, being made up of polymeric fibers, meaning
      it has the tendency to flow under tension. The tension (stretching) is
      locked in during the drying process of manufacture. Moisture (and
      temperature) act as a plasticiser in this regard, they release the
      built-in tension of the fibers, and allow them to relax. But there is
      only a certain latitude to viscolasticity.

      That sort of makes sense to me.

      In this regard, over saturation is counter productive in this regard.
      Handmade and mouldmade papers respond well to dampening because they
      have less distinct fiber orientation (pronounced grain direction) in
      their manufacture, have stronger and longer fibers, and consequently
      are less prone to shrinkage or distortion (than grain direction
      prominent papers) upon re-drying.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lynnepress@... wrote:

      > Gerald,
      >
      > Thanks so much for the information. I also have the Lewis Allen
      book, went back and took a look at his methods. The dampening
      technique I learned in graduate school, works for editioning intaglio
      prints, thought it would work ok for letterpress. I think the paper
      was too wet, so I have made some adjustments that seem to have helped.

      > regards,
      > Lynne

      Avadenka]