Paper Dampening for a Better Impression

  • Steve Robison
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 3, 2007
      Here is another British Printing Society article that
      may be of interest to those using dampened paper

      http://www.bpsnet.org.uk/brignull/damp.pdf

      --Steve

      Steve Robison
      Belmont, CA (just south of San Francisco)

      Steve Robison
      robisonsteve@...

    • David McNamara
      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 23, 2007
        Bryan, et alii,

        Very cool calendar--and thanks for the report.

        Since I was also experimenting with dampening, I'll add some thoughts from my end:

        The job I dampened the paper for came out wonderful. I was using photopoymer and it was the best printing I've done. The paper was in my mini-fridge humidor for about 72 hours at around 90% relative humidity.

        During this time I also left about fifty business cards in there, and only took them out today. I was expecting total mildew infiltration--it'd been about ten days since I stuck them in there--but only a few were visibly affected (note the "visibly"). I decided to print on the "good" ones and will report on their status once they've dried out (ink and paper).

        The good news is that the reading was 99% relative humidity when I opened it up, so clearly you can achieve sustained high humidity with $5 worth of oasis foam.

        Based on this I would guess that your window of opportunity is between two and seven days at 90%+ RH. Sound about right?
        __

        David