Re: [PPLetterpress] [Fwd: Re: confounding question from Lynne Avadenka

  • Lynnepress@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
      Gerald,

      Thanks so much for the information. I also have the Lewis Allen book, went back and took a look at his methods. The dampening technique I learned in graduate school, works for editioning intaglio prints, thought it would work ok for letterpress. I think the paper was too wet, so I have made some adjustments that seem to have helped.

      regards,
      Lynne

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
        Lynne

        I mix a bit of William Everson theories along with Lewis Allen. Gives
        it more of that medieval organism feel.

        Yeah, I think the tendency is to want to make it "damp" where in
        actuality that is more like the practice of less experienced
        letterpress printers when it comes to inking, and thinking that adding
        more ink will solve a problem, when in most cases this is just
        covering up a problem and creating another.

        Apply the same idea to paper dampening, basically, less is more. Take
        away the words, wet, damp, moist. Dampening is really only meant to
        make the paper more supple by invigorating the fibers.

        I came across some technical information a while back that I think
        explains the rationale a bit. I'll try to paraphrase. Technically,
        cellulose is viscoelastic, being made up of polymeric fibers, meaning
        it has the tendency to flow under tension. The tension (stretching) is
        locked in during the drying process of manufacture. Moisture (and
        temperature) act as a plasticiser in this regard, they release the
        built-in tension of the fibers, and allow them to relax. But there is
        only a certain latitude to viscolasticity.

        That sort of makes sense to me.

        In this regard, over saturation is counter productive in this regard.
        Handmade and mouldmade papers respond well to dampening because they
        have less distinct fiber orientation (pronounced grain direction) in
        their manufacture, have stronger and longer fibers, and consequently
        are less prone to shrinkage or distortion (than grain direction
        prominent papers) upon re-drying.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lynnepress@... wrote:

        > Gerald,
        >
        > Thanks so much for the information. I also have the Lewis Allen
        book, went back and took a look at his methods. The dampening
        technique I learned in graduate school, works for editioning intaglio
        prints, thought it would work ok for letterpress. I think the paper
        was too wet, so I have made some adjustments that seem to have helped.

        > regards,
        > Lynne

        Avadenka]