Re: [PPLetterpress] Miehle Vertical

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
      Lisa,

      As someone who runs up to 4 V-50's at a time, I have to say that they are
      a great production press, but unless you are really adept at setting one up
      to run quickly, you will be spending more time with setup and makeready
      than you will running the job through the press, as at 3,000 iph, a 250
      impression limited run will be done printing in about 5 minutes, and it
      will take you longer than that to set up the press... It is really
      designed for press runs of several thousand, but I have been known to print
      runs of 250 or 500 sheets on them at times.

      As for quality, I think they are a superb press for printing quality close
      register multicolor work. They maintain exacting register and if you do a
      good job with the form setup and makeready, you can pop off a run of 25,000
      to 50,000 sheets without a single stop for adjustments to the form or
      makeready. And, ink adjustments can be made on the fly as you see the
      need. They are just not the best choice for limited production....

      Now that I have said that, I have to admit that as a personalized
      stationery printer, the forms we run on a V-50 for stationery products
      range from 50 to 200 sheets. But, we run the same setup over and over and
      over again once the press is setup for a particular item. We have
      developed specialized lockups that allow us to make a pair of quick changes
      of forms for each product, with only a few lines of type in each one, so we
      can keep a press running almost constantly until all the orders for a given
      product are printed.

      Well, I guess I've rambled enough tonight, but if you want to know more,
      feel free to ask....

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
        One fine press printer who uses a Miehle Vertical is Henry Morris,
        of the Bird & Bull Press. His site is
        http://www.birdandbullpress.com/ and there's a picture of him with
        his Miehle on his history page. It is no more difficult in many
        cases to print 50 or 100 of something on a Vertical than it is to do
        the same thing on a proof press.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "lisaxdavidson"
        <lisaxdavidson@...> wrote:

        > Hi again . . . .
        >
        > Can I bother you again for some advice, please? Are there any
        opinions about a Miehle
        > Vertical V-36 or V-50? What should the price be, more or less,
        and are they right for the
        > limited edition art-book kind of thing, wood engravings, etc.?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Lisa

      • Lisa Davidson
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi, Lance,

          Yes, I'd like to hear more if you wouldn't mind . . . should I ask
          you "off-list"?

          Thank you,

          Lisa