Re: [PPLetterpress] Miehle Vertical

  • speedgray@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
      Lisa:

      Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
      sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.

      For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be your best
      choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or whatever, but the
      slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook proof press
      might better suit your needs.

      A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have also had
      some given to me for hauling them away.

      Speed Gray, APA 736
      Letterpress Green Sheet
      Ada, MI

    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
        It is true you can find them for free sometimes. I sold my V-36 four
        years ago for about $900.

        I don't think I would print wood engravings on it unless I really had
        a high quantity. If that were the case, I'd make a reproduction of
        the block first.

        --Scott

        On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:21 PM, speedgray@... wrote:

        > Lisa:
        >
        > Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
        > sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.
        >
        > For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be
        > your best
        > choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or
        > whatever, but the
        > slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook
        > proof press
        > might better suit your needs.
        >
        > A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have
        > also had
        > some given to me for hauling them away.
        >
        > Speed Gray, APA 736
        > Letterpress Green Sheet
        > Ada, MI

      • Lisa Davidson
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
          So does this mean there is a loss of quality in high production? I
          was wondering that.
          Lisa

          On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:

          > It is true you can find them for free sometimes. I sold my V-36 four
          > years ago for about $900.
          >
          > I don't think I would print wood engravings on it unless I really had
          > a high quantity. If that were the case, I'd make a reproduction of
          > the block first.
          >
          > --Scott
          >
          > On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:21 PM, speedgray@... wrote:
          >
          > > Lisa:
          > >
          > > Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
          > > sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.
          > >
          > > For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be
          > > your best
          > > choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or
          > > whatever, but the
          > > slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook
          > > proof press
          > > might better suit your needs.
          > >
          > > A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have
          > > also had
          > > some given to me for hauling them away.
          > >
          > > Speed Gray, APA 736
          > > Letterpress Green Sheet
          > > Ada, MI

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lisa Davidson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
            Hi, Speed (HI-Speed)

            I just said "limited edition" because it seems easier for me to
            comprehend. Does a production press yield lesser results?

            Thanks,

            Lisa

            On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:21 PM, speedgray@... wrote:

            > Lisa:
            >
            > Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
            > sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.
            >
            > For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be
            > your best
            > choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or
            > whatever, but the
            > slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook
            > proof press
            > might better suit your needs.
            >
            > A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have
            > also had
            > some given to me for hauling them away.
            >
            > Speed Gray, APA 736
            > Letterpress Green Sheet
            > Ada, MI

          • Lance Williams
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
              Lisa,

              As someone who runs up to 4 V-50's at a time, I have to say that they are
              a great production press, but unless you are really adept at setting one up
              to run quickly, you will be spending more time with setup and makeready
              than you will running the job through the press, as at 3,000 iph, a 250
              impression limited run will be done printing in about 5 minutes, and it
              will take you longer than that to set up the press... It is really
              designed for press runs of several thousand, but I have been known to print
              runs of 250 or 500 sheets on them at times.

              As for quality, I think they are a superb press for printing quality close
              register multicolor work. They maintain exacting register and if you do a
              good job with the form setup and makeready, you can pop off a run of 25,000
              to 50,000 sheets without a single stop for adjustments to the form or
              makeready. And, ink adjustments can be made on the fly as you see the
              need. They are just not the best choice for limited production....

              Now that I have said that, I have to admit that as a personalized
              stationery printer, the forms we run on a V-50 for stationery products
              range from 50 to 200 sheets. But, we run the same setup over and over and
              over again once the press is setup for a particular item. We have
              developed specialized lockups that allow us to make a pair of quick changes
              of forms for each product, with only a few lines of type in each one, so we
              can keep a press running almost constantly until all the orders for a given
              product are printed.

              Well, I guess I've rambled enough tonight, but if you want to know more,
              feel free to ask....

              - Lance Williams
              Williams Stationery Co.
              Camden, New York
              APA #785

            • nagraph1
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                One fine press printer who uses a Miehle Vertical is Henry Morris,
                of the Bird & Bull Press. His site is
                http://www.birdandbullpress.com/ and there's a picture of him with
                his Miehle on his history page. It is no more difficult in many
                cases to print 50 or 100 of something on a Vertical than it is to do
                the same thing on a proof press.

                Fritz

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "lisaxdavidson"
                <lisaxdavidson@...> wrote:

                > Hi again . . . .
                >
                > Can I bother you again for some advice, please? Are there any
                opinions about a Miehle
                > Vertical V-36 or V-50? What should the price be, more or less,
                and are they right for the
                > limited edition art-book kind of thing, wood engravings, etc.?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Lisa

              • Lisa Davidson
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Hi, Lance,

                  Yes, I'd like to hear more if you wouldn't mind . . . should I ask
                  you "off-list"?

                  Thank you,

                  Lisa