Miehle Vertical

  • lisaxdavidson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi again . . . .

      Can I bother you again for some advice, please? Are there any opinions about a Miehle
      Vertical V-36 or V-50? What should the price be, more or less, and are they right for the
      limited edition art-book kind of thing, wood engravings, etc.?

      Thanks,

      Lisa
    • speedgray@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
        Lisa:

        Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
        sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.

        For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be your best
        choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or whatever, but the
        slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook proof press
        might better suit your needs.

        A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have also had
        some given to me for hauling them away.

        Speed Gray, APA 736
        Letterpress Green Sheet
        Ada, MI

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
          It is true you can find them for free sometimes. I sold my V-36 four
          years ago for about $900.

          I don't think I would print wood engravings on it unless I really had
          a high quantity. If that were the case, I'd make a reproduction of
          the block first.

          --Scott

          On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:21 PM, speedgray@... wrote:

          > Lisa:
          >
          > Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
          > sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.
          >
          > For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be
          > your best
          > choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or
          > whatever, but the
          > slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook
          > proof press
          > might better suit your needs.
          >
          > A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have
          > also had
          > some given to me for hauling them away.
          >
          > Speed Gray, APA 736
          > Letterpress Green Sheet
          > Ada, MI

        • Lisa Davidson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
            So does this mean there is a loss of quality in high production? I
            was wondering that.
            Lisa

            On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:

            > It is true you can find them for free sometimes. I sold my V-36 four
            > years ago for about $900.
            >
            > I don't think I would print wood engravings on it unless I really had
            > a high quantity. If that were the case, I'd make a reproduction of
            > the block first.
            >
            > --Scott
            >
            > On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:21 PM, speedgray@... wrote:
            >
            > > Lisa:
            > >
            > > Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
            > > sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.
            > >
            > > For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be
            > > your best
            > > choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or
            > > whatever, but the
            > > slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook
            > > proof press
            > > might better suit your needs.
            > >
            > > A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have
            > > also had
            > > some given to me for hauling them away.
            > >
            > > Speed Gray, APA 736
            > > Letterpress Green Sheet
            > > Ada, MI

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lisa Davidson
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
              Hi, Speed (HI-Speed)

              I just said "limited edition" because it seems easier for me to
              comprehend. Does a production press yield lesser results?

              Thanks,

              Lisa

              On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:21 PM, speedgray@... wrote:

              > Lisa:
              >
              > Miehle Verticals are production presses. The V-50 is a bit more
              > sophisticated than the V-36, though both are fine presses.
              >
              > For limited edition book work, however, a Vertical might not be
              > your best
              > choice. You didn't say what "limited edition" is; 25 or 250 or
              > whatever, but the
              > slowest speed on a Vertical is 2500 IPH. A flat bed Vandercook
              > proof press
              > might better suit your needs.
              >
              > A nice V-50 would cost between $750 and $3000. Although, I have
              > also had
              > some given to me for hauling them away.
              >
              > Speed Gray, APA 736
              > Letterpress Green Sheet
              > Ada, MI

            • Lance Williams
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                Lisa,

                As someone who runs up to 4 V-50's at a time, I have to say that they are
                a great production press, but unless you are really adept at setting one up
                to run quickly, you will be spending more time with setup and makeready
                than you will running the job through the press, as at 3,000 iph, a 250
                impression limited run will be done printing in about 5 minutes, and it
                will take you longer than that to set up the press... It is really
                designed for press runs of several thousand, but I have been known to print
                runs of 250 or 500 sheets on them at times.

                As for quality, I think they are a superb press for printing quality close
                register multicolor work. They maintain exacting register and if you do a
                good job with the form setup and makeready, you can pop off a run of 25,000
                to 50,000 sheets without a single stop for adjustments to the form or
                makeready. And, ink adjustments can be made on the fly as you see the
                need. They are just not the best choice for limited production....

                Now that I have said that, I have to admit that as a personalized
                stationery printer, the forms we run on a V-50 for stationery products
                range from 50 to 200 sheets. But, we run the same setup over and over and
                over again once the press is setup for a particular item. We have
                developed specialized lockups that allow us to make a pair of quick changes
                of forms for each product, with only a few lines of type in each one, so we
                can keep a press running almost constantly until all the orders for a given
                product are printed.

                Well, I guess I've rambled enough tonight, but if you want to know more,
                feel free to ask....

                - Lance Williams
                Williams Stationery Co.
                Camden, New York
                APA #785

              • nagraph1
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                  One fine press printer who uses a Miehle Vertical is Henry Morris,
                  of the Bird & Bull Press. His site is
                  http://www.birdandbullpress.com/ and there's a picture of him with
                  his Miehle on his history page. It is no more difficult in many
                  cases to print 50 or 100 of something on a Vertical than it is to do
                  the same thing on a proof press.

                  Fritz

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "lisaxdavidson"
                  <lisaxdavidson@...> wrote:

                  > Hi again . . . .
                  >
                  > Can I bother you again for some advice, please? Are there any
                  opinions about a Miehle
                  > Vertical V-36 or V-50? What should the price be, more or less,
                  and are they right for the
                  > limited edition art-book kind of thing, wood engravings, etc.?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Lisa

                • Lisa Davidson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                    Hi, Lance,

                    Yes, I'd like to hear more if you wouldn't mind . . . should I ask
                    you "off-list"?

                    Thank you,

                    Lisa