type-high lino cuts

  • lisaxdavidson
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi, everybody,

      Is there a source for type-high wood blocks or lino-cuttable surfaces that you could use to
      make sorts or decorative caps or whatever?

      Thanks,

      Lisa
    • Casey McGarr
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007
        Graphic Chemical has type high linoleum

        <http://www.graphicchemical.net/shopdisplayproducts.asp?
        id=240&cat=Mounted+Linoleum+Blocks>
      • Casey McGarr
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007
          Lisa,

          I buy linoleum by the rolls from Dick Blick then I buy Particle board from Home Depot and
          have them cut it to the size I need. I use a Glider saw to cut smaller pieces of particle board. I
          put a light coat of Elmers wood glue on the back of the linoleum and a thin coat on the
          particle board. Then after placing the linoleum on the particle board I place several other
          pieces of particle board on top to apply pressure for even adhesion.

          Since the mounted linoleum on particle board is not type high you will need to build it up by
          backing to particle board with a few sheets of 100# cover, make sure your have a type high
          gauge for accurate measure.

          I print a lot of posters on my Vandercook #4 and have done this for years and it works great
          and is more cost effective.

          I would be happy to discuss this further through email if you need.

          Casey
          iLP
        • Norman L McKnight
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007
            An excellent resource for printmakers wishing to use wood engraving,
            Japanese woodcut or linocuts I would suggest checking out:

            McClain's Printmaking Supplies
            15685 SW 116th Avenue PMB 202
            King City OR 97224-2695

            www.imcclains.com mail@...

            Tel: 503 641 8355

            They have an excellent, illustrated catalog available. They supply
            all kinds of wood blocks, linocut blocks, resingrave blocks & also
            MasterCarve blocks. They also have all kinds of tools, inks &
            papers for printmaking, especially Japanese materials. You should
            not miss this resource. I have not seen it mentioned before, but
            it should be.

            Norman McKnight
            Philoxenia Press
            Berkeley
          • Mel
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
              > Graphic Chemical has type high linoleum

              Unless Speedball, the supplier of the blocks, has changed something,
              the linoleum blocks supplied by Graphic Chemical are not type high.
              They are close but require some packing to bring them to type high. I
              ordered a considerable quantity some months back and was astounded to
              find them to be low. I contacted Graphic Chemical who verified they
              are not type high and the supplier has no intention of making them
              type high according to the email I received. If things have indeed
              changed I apologize now to all concerned.
            • Lisa Davidson
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                Aha, Casey, thank you.
                Lisa

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Mel,

                  Well isn't that a bit of deceptive advertising. Months ago someone sent me the link to GC and
                  I thought what a great idea for all of us that do linocuts to be able and go on press without
                  too much padding underneath. Hmmmm, I won't be sending that link out for type high
                  linoleum, I do like the company and have ordered a lot of supplies from them.

                  Casey
                • Lisa Davidson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                    I saw this; they are type high. www.lawrence.co.uk/

                    Lisa

                    On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Casey McGarr wrote:

                    > Mel,
                    >
                    > Well isn't that a bit of deceptive advertising. Months ago someone
                    > sent me the link to GC and
                    > I thought what a great idea for all of us that do linocuts to be
                    > able and go on press without
                    > too much padding underneath. Hmmmm, I won't be sending that link
                    > out for type high
                    > linoleum, I do like the company and have ordered a lot of supplies
                    > from them.
                    >
                    > Casey

                  • Lisa Davidson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                      sorry, it might only be their woodcut blocks that are type high, and
                      not their linoleum, at www.lawrence.co.uk/