Re: [PPLetterpress] Ink prefs

  • David Glover
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5, 2001
      So, how can you tell if you have a "heavy bodied" ink.
      If you use a grind guage, what readings does it have to show?

      Am I making too much of this?
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6, 2001
        --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "David Glover" <dglover@g...> wrote:
        > So, how can you tell if you have a "heavy bodied" ink.
        > If you use a grind guage, what readings does it have to show?
        >
        > Am I making too much of this?

        Dear David

        I'm not sure that you can make "too much" of anything here. If you
        have a question there is a need to know. I don't know what a grind
        gauge is or actually how useful that may be in non-industrial usage
        (just guessing).

        As an advocate of "normative principles," I'm all for some gadget that
        will guarantee this or that but I'm not sure that any answer here is a
        quick fix.

        After all the PP, you are still left with the basics of letterpress. I
        suspect we are a bit heavy on the prepress aspect here but somewhat
        ignore presswork. From the get go I wondered if we'd ever talk about
        "letterpress" here because its somewhat assumed that anyone exploring
        PP and other techniques already knows their stuff.

        In this regard, I am concerned about a new generation of letterpress
        printing "advocates" who do not know their "stuff," and lets say, who
        will never have set metal type by hand. I talked to the head of a
        letterpress studio (which had a photopolymer plate processing machine)
        and I was told offhandedly that the students only use the metal type
        to initially set their names in a composing stick. Then on to the
        computer. This is a mistake. Here the process is not seen as the
        "saving grace" of letterpress, it is seen as the easy way out. Make
        the plate, smash it into the paper. Presto. Letterpress. Is this its
        artificial end?

        But...ink (let's get back to that Ger), I can explain a heavy bodied
        ink as opposed to a thin bodied ink etc but ultimately, its an
        experiential thing. I could tell you this or that and so what?. As can
        anyone else. What you might want to do is check out the work of
        printers you admire. What do they use? And more importantly, how do
        they use it? Personally, I want to know what ink Victor Hammer used.
        The additional problem, of course, is how does one emulate the craft
        concerns of Victor Hammer when one is not Victor Hammer?

        Good night
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2001
          bjorn@b... wrote:

          > ....If you are using polymer, rubber based ink won't stick to the
          > surface, so I've always avoided it. But I've heard from a friend that
          > if you get the matte surface plates that rubber will work, or if you
          > coat the surface of the plate and then let it dry....
          >

          > Bryce Knudson
          > Bjorn Press

          Dear Bryce

          How do you "coat" the polymer for rubber based inks? What do you use
          to do this?

          I'd never heard this before—that rubber based inks won't stick to
          photopolymer. By rubber-based inks are you talking about the older Van
          Son type formulation? Most inks being produced today are hybrids of
          sorts. Hard to say if any one ink consists solely of rubber or oil.
          Unless you go back to old formula.

          Recently I had Handschy make up a batch of collotype ink from an old
          formula. They hadn't made the ink in over ten years. So ink companies
          can do this for you, but, of course, you pay a very steep price.
          Normally I've always avoided mixing inks based on different formula
          but for the collotype we had to use a variety of inks to give us an
          immediate fix for viscosity alteration (needed to counteract
          fluctuation in atmospheric pressure/temperature/humidity—bit of a
          different animal) during the print run, and one of these was the old
          tried and true Van Son rubber base 10850.

          I got so used to using it for altering viscosity that when I recently
          printed a broadside I mixed the Van Son with a stone litho ink
          (heavily pigmented/high viscosity), which I use for most of my work,
          and noticed odd "splinters" of ink on the polymer printing surface. I
          assume this is a failure of the inks to coalesce. Or perhaps, as you
          suggest, rubber based inks react differently to photopolymer? The
          pick-up to the printed sheet didn't reveal the "splinters" but there
          was an odd sparkle to the black.

          Anyone know a bit more about this?

          [Wonder if some company somewhere holds the formula for the Mandlik
          black that was labeled for letterpress printing on dampened paper?
          This was the ink Lewis Allen recommended in Printing With the
          Handpress.]

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 6, 2001
            Hi Mark

            Well, you have me sitting on my hands with this one. Do you know what the
            ingredients are? Who is the manufacturer, and what is the brand name?
            Especially interested because you use it for hand-litho. Don't do hand-litho
            myself, but find the ink formulations are much better for studio-letterpress
            applications. Thanks!

            All best

            Mark Attwood wrote:

            > Hi Gerald,
            >
            > I don't know if anyone else has used this, but I use aerosol (I hope the
            > spelling is correct) a lot, as a modifyer in the ink, both for
            > hand-lithography and letterpress.
            >
            > It is a white powder, extremely light and fluffy, a bit like magnesium
            > carbonate, but makes the ink more bodied than mag. It is apparently so fine
            > that if you breathe it in it will end up in your blood! so what I do to
            > avoid breathing it in, is ask the ink manufacturer to mix it with tinting
            > medium until it is about the consistency of window putty, and then I use
            > that to body any ink I print with, and it really seems to work well.
            >
            > Mark.
            >
            > Mark Attwood
            >
            > The Artists' Press
            > Box 623
            > Newtown
            > 2113
            > South Africa
            >
            > Tel. +27 11 836 5474
            > fax. +27 11 836 6858
            > mark@...
          • Mark Attwood
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2001
              Hi Gerald,

              ----------
              >From: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>
              >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
              >Date: Thu, Sep 6, 2001, 5:47 pm
              >

              > bjorn@b... wrote:
              >
              >> ....If you are using polymer, rubber based ink won't stick to the
              >> surface, so I've always avoided it. But I've heard from a friend that
              >> if you get the matte surface plates that rubber will work, or if you
              >> coat the surface of the plate and then let it dry....
              >>

              >> Bryce Knudson
              >> Bjorn Press
              >>

              > Dear Bryce
              >
              > How do you "coat" the polymer for rubber based inks? What do you use
              > to do this?
              >

              > I'd never heard this before—that rubber based inks won't stick to
              > photopolymer. By rubber-based inks are you talking about the older Van
              > Son type formulation? Most inks being produced today are hybrids of
              > sorts. Hard to say if any one ink consists solely of rubber or oil.
              > Unless you go back to old formula.
              >
              > Recently I had Handschy make up a batch of collotype ink from an old
              > formula. They hadn't made the ink in over ten years. So ink companies
              > can do this for you, but, of course, you pay a very steep price.
              > Normally I've always avoided mixing inks based on different formula
              > but for the collotype we had to use a variety of inks to give us an
              > immediate fix for viscosity alteration (needed to counteract
              > fluctuation in atmospheric pressure/temperature/humidity—bit of a
              > different animal) during the print run, and one of these was the old
              > tried and true Van Son rubber base 10850.
              >
              > I got so used to using it for altering viscosity that when I recently
              > printed a broadside I mixed the Van Son with a stone litho ink
              > (heavily pigmented/high viscosity), which I use for most of my work,
              > and noticed odd "splinters" of ink on the polymer printing surface. I
              > assume this is a failure of the inks to coalesce. Or perhaps, as you
              > suggest, rubber based inks react differently to photopolymer? The
              > pick-up to the printed sheet didn't reveal the "splinters" but there
              > was an odd sparkle to the black.
              >

              > Anyone know a bit more about this?
              >

              > [Wonder if some company somewhere holds the formula for the Mandlik
              > black that was labeled for letterpress printing on dampened paper?
              > This was the ink Lewis Allen recommended in Printing With the
              > Handpress.]
              >

              > Ger> .

            • Mark Attwood
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 7, 2001
                Hi Gerald,

                I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
                about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
                Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
                I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.

                Let me know if you find out the correct name!

                regards,
                Mark.

                Mark Attwood

                The Artists' Press
                Box 623
                Newtown
                2113
                South Africa

                Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                fax. +27 11 836 6858
                mark@...

                ----------
                >From: Gerald Lange <bieler@...>
                >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
                >Date: Fri, Sep 7, 2001, 6:21 am
                >

                > Hi Mark
                >
                > Well, you have me sitting on my hands with this one. Do you know what the
                > ingredients are? Who is the manufacturer, and what is the brand name?
                > Especially interested because you use it for hand-litho. Don't do hand-litho
                > myself, but find the ink formulations are much better for studio-letterpress
                > applications. Thanks!
                >
                > All best

                > Mark Attwood wrote:
                >>
                >> Hi Gerald,
                >>
                >> I don't know if anyone else has used this, but I use aerosol (I hope the
                >> spelling is correct) a lot, as a modifyer in the ink, both for
                >> hand-lithography and letterpress.
                >>
                >> It is a white powder, extremely light and fluffy, a bit like magnesium
                >> carbonate, but makes the ink more bodied than mag. It is apparently so fine
                >> that if you breathe it in it will end up in your blood! so what I do to
                >> avoid breathing it in, is ask the ink manufacturer to mix it with tinting
                >> medium until it is about the consistency of window putty, and then I use
                >> that to body any ink I print with, and it really seems to work well.
                >>
                >> Mark.
                >>
                >> Mark Attwood
                >>
                >> The Artists' Press
                >> Box 623
                >> Newtown
                >> 2113
                >> South Africa
                >>
                >> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                >> fax. +27 11 836 6858
                >> mark@...

              • Katie Harper
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 9, 2001
                  Dear Mark and Chris:

                  I'm used to mag carbonate but have not heard about the products that you
                  like that add extra body to inks. My question is this: do they add any color
                  at all? Seems like something like the white Chris describes or even the
                  "window putty" that Mark likes would also tend to change the color of the
                  ink that it is mixed with.

                  I just purchased an entire letterpress shop that includes, among many other
                  wonderful things, cans and cans and cans of ink, mostly in 5# cans, all
                  sealed as new. I have no idea what type of ink they contain, but I suspect
                  that the guy who owned the shop I purchased probably himself purchased
                  another letterpress shop going out of business, although these could well be
                  offset inks. Most were packed about 1990-91. One description, for example,
                  from the Wickoff Color Corporation, is for PMS 279 Blue Wax Free. Does
                  anyone know what type of ink this is?

                  Katie Harper

                  Remember: Book arts will save the world!

                  > From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
                  > Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:37:31 +0000
                  > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
                  >
                  > Hi Gerald,
                  >
                  > I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
                  > about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
                  > Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
                  > I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you find out the correct name!
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Mark.
                  >

                  > Mark Attwood
                  >
                  > The Artists' Press
                  > Box 623
                  > Newtown
                  > 2113
                  > South Africa
                  >
                  > Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                  > fax. +27 11 836 6858
                  > mark@...
                  >

                  > ----------
                  >> From: Gerald Lange <bieler@...>
                  >> To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  >> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
                  >> Date: Fri, Sep 7, 2001, 6:21 am
                  >>

                  >> Hi Mark
                  >>
                  >> Well, you have me sitting on my hands with this one. Do you know what the
                  >> ingredients are? Who is the manufacturer, and what is the brand name?
                  >> Especially interested because you use it for hand-litho. Don't do hand-litho
                  >> myself, but find the ink formulations are much better for studio-letterpress
                  >> applications. Thanks!
                  >>
                  >> All best

                  >> Mark Attwood wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>> Hi Gerald,
                  >>>
                  >>> I don't know if anyone else has used this, but I use aerosol (I hope the
                  >>> spelling is correct) a lot, as a modifyer in the ink, both for
                  >>> hand-lithography and letterpress.
                  >>>
                  >>> It is a white powder, extremely light and fluffy, a bit like magnesium
                  >>> carbonate, but makes the ink more bodied than mag. It is apparently so fine
                  >>> that if you breathe it in it will end up in your blood! so what I do to
                  >>> avoid breathing it in, is ask the ink manufacturer to mix it with tinting
                  >>> medium until it is about the consistency of window putty, and then I use
                  >>> that to body any ink I print with, and it really seems to work well.
                  >>>
                  >>> Mark.
                  >>>
                  >>> Mark Attwood
                  >>>
                  >>> The Artists' Press
                  >>> Box 623
                  >>> Newtown
                  >>> 2113
                  >>> South Africa
                  >>>
                  >>> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                  >>> fax. +27 11 836 6858

                • flywheel@premier1.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 9, 2001
                    Katie

                    Yes, the LCC (Letterpress Conversion Compound) does change the color of the
                    ink as well, but that's good. When you're trying to mix a PMS color, we
                    almost always have to add opaque white to the mix in order to get the exact
                    match we want. We never use the trans. white that the formulas call for
                    because that only thins the ink to the point where the color isn't anywhere
                    at all what we want. The LCC was designed to bring the mixed color back to
                    where it should be for letterpress. If you follow the formula exactly as
                    written in the PMS books, you will never get your color match. Those PMS
                    colors as designed for offset printing which, obviously, puts ink down in a
                    whole different way than letterpress. The LCC works similarly to straight
                    opaque white only it's got ten times the body which makes for a wonderful
                    letterpress printing ink.

                    My guess about the PMS 279 BLue Wax Free ink would be that it's just regular
                    old oil base ink without wax (an additive that was put into ink in order to
                    reduce its tack and increase its flow). At least I think that's what it was
                    for. I am in no way an expert on ink, but I know what works when I see it,
                    and I've been looking for this LCC for years. I never had much luck with
                    magnesium carbonate and it doesn't work nearly as well as this LCC.

                    The reason I've been going on and on about this LCC is that I want to try
                    and help develop a market for it so that it will be around when next I need
                    to order it. The more people who buy it, the likelier its survival.

                    Chris Stern
                    Stern & Faye, Printers
                    Sedro-Woolley, WA
                    98284

                    ----------

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
                      Hi Katie,

                      theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
                      but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
                      ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
                      transparent colours.

                      Mark.

                      Mark Attwood

                      The Artists' Press
                      Box 623
                      Newtown
                      2113
                      South Africa

                      Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                      fax. +27 11 836 6858
                      mark@...

                      ----------

                    • Katie Harper
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
                        Thanks to all who responded to my query about ink additives. When I was in
                        graduate school as a printmaker, I once had a half day workshop on ink
                        additives... I confess I wasn't as enthralled as I might have been, not
                        thinking it probably would be useful one day...

                        I also got another reply offline from Dan at Indian Hill press, and am
                        posting it here for those of you who were curious, as I was, about "Wax-free
                        inks."

                        Dear Katie:

                        Just got your bulletin on the Letterpress list.

                        Wax-free inks are important to printers who to do hot foil-stamping
                        on top of a printed surface. If the ink contains wax, the heat will
                        melt it and the foil will not adhere. Wax-free ink generally dries
                        very quickly, so don't leave it on your press overnight. It is also a
                        specialty ink, and more expensive than general job inks.

                        Best,
                        Dan Waters
                        Indian Hill Press

                        Remember: Book arts will save the world!

                        > From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
                        > Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:29:29 +0000
                        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
                        >
                        > Hi Katie,
                        >
                        > theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
                        > but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
                        > ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
                        > transparent colours.
                        >
                        > Mark.
                        >

                        > Mark Attwood
                        >
                        > The Artists' Press
                        > Box 623
                        > Newtown
                        > 2113
                        > South Africa
                        >
                        > Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                        > fax. +27 11 836 6858
                        > mark@...
                        >

                        > ----------
                        >> From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
                        >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                        >> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
                        >> Date: Sun, Sep 9, 2001, 1:07 pm
                        >>

                        >> Dear Mark and Chris:
                        >>
                        >> I'm used to mag carbonate but have not heard about the products that you
                        >> like that add extra body to inks. My question is this: do they add any color
                        >> at all? Seems like something like the white Chris describes or even the
                        >> "window putty" that Mark likes would also tend to change the color of the
                        >> ink that it is mixed with.
                        >>
                        >> I just purchased an entire letterpress shop that includes, among many other
                        >> wonderful things, cans and cans and cans of ink, mostly in 5# cans, all
                        >> sealed as new. I have no idea what type of ink they contain, but I suspect
                        >> that the guy who owned the shop I purchased probably himself purchased
                        >> another letterpress shop going out of business, although these could well be
                        >> offset inks. Most were packed about 1990-91. One description, for example,
                        >> from the Wickoff Color Corporation, is for PMS 279 Blue Wax Free. Does
                        >> anyone know what type of ink this is?
                        >>
                        >> Katie Harper
                        >>

                        >> Remember: Book arts will save the world!
                        >>

                        >>> From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
                        >>> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:37:31 +0000
                        >>> To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                        >>> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
                        >>>
                        >>> Hi Gerald,
                        >>>
                        >>> I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
                        >>> about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
                        >>> Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
                        >>> I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.
                        >>>
                        >>> Let me know if you find out the correct name!
                        >>>
                        >>> regards,
                        >>> Mark.
                        >>>

                        >>> Mark Attwood
                        >>>
                        >>> The Artists' Press
                        >>> Box 623
                        >>> Newtown
                        >>> 2113
                        >>> South Africa
                        >>>
                        >>> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
                        >>> fax. +27 11 836 6858
                        >>> mark@...
                        >>>

                        >>> ----------

                      • Terrence Chouinard
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
                          > I never had much luck with
                          > magnesium carbonate and it doesn't work nearly as well as this LCC.

                          Chris
                          I'm guessing the LCC doesn't dry out your ink as fast as magnesium carbonate
                          does. Any sense if this is the case or not?

                          Terry

                          Terrence Chouinard
                          the Wing & the Wheel Press
                          Box 216