Re: Plastic plates' relief depth

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 23, 2002
      > "Sounds like you have too much ink or your rollers are too low, or rollers are not in good condition"
      > Thanks for the response, Katie, and those are certainly good possibilities. But my rollers are new, I've adjusted them with a guage, and I don't get the same effect with foundry type. And I still wonder if anyone knows if the angle is different.
      > Thanks, Dave

      Dave

      I'm not sure what the angle of slope is offhand. Think I have that in
      my notes somewhere, but at any rate, I would suspect the degree of
      inclination would be more similar to that of photoengravings rather
      than metal type. Secondly, the slope might be altered somewhat by
      exposure and washout times. The longer the exposure the more bottom
      fill-in will occur (the linking photopolymer grows upward from bottom
      to top with longer exposure). The more washout the more the
      possibility of undercutting near the surface image. Two somewhat
      contradictory processes that can be used to complement each other.
      This is especially forced for halftones.

      The enlargement you are concerned with is why there is so much stress
      here (on the list) on compensating for this effect at the prepress
      stage, both for type and images.

      Gerald
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
        From: Katie Harper
        > Sounds like you have too much ink or ....

        I don't get it.
        Haven't we established that there is always some gain,
        especially affecting the color/texture of small type?

        hhp
      • Fontdr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
          There are only 2 elements that make letterpress print–ink and impression.
          From there on its a plate problem.
        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
            I have been contacted by a young man in Cincinnati who has inherited his
            grandfather's C&P Old Style 10x15 platen press (serial number 2024, dating
            from about 1898) and several cases of type, with chases, job sticks, and all
            the workings for a small print shop (cabinets containing type cases are
            homemade). The press is in good working condition and needs a good home with
            someone who will use it and care for it as the grandfather did. It is,
            however, in a walkout basement, so it will need to be disassembled in order
            to be moved out through the doorways. The good news is that there are not
            any stairs!

            If you are interested, please contact me for more information.

            Katie Harper
            Ars Brevis Press
            Cincinnati, OH
            513-233-9588
            http://www.arsbrevispress.com
          • bielerpr
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
              Katie

              Regarding your earlier question: Here's an odd list I scrounged up of
              some commercial concerns scattered about the US (on your side of the
              river) either "manufacturing" photopolymer plates or "processing"
              them. Hard to tell from the descriptions. I guess just check out
              those listed in your own region. I doubt there is any way that I
              could put together a decent list of all commercial processors. The
              lists I have in the Bookmarks section are the more common (non-
              industry) processors that most book arts folk use.

              Gerald

              COSCO GRAPHICS
              Photopolymer, rubber platemakers
              TOLEDO, OH

              E Z PACKAGING & GRAPHICS
              Photopolymer, rubber platemakers
              LILBURN, GA

              MATRIX UNLIMITED INC
              Flexo, mylar, photopolymer platemakers
              ROCHESTER, NY

              MATTHEWS INTERNATIONAL CORP
              Mfrs, rubber, photopolymer printing plates, film masters
              NORTH ADDLEBORO, MA

              MULLER, WILLIAM, ENGRAVING INC
              Mfrs, flexographic, photopolymer plates, photoengravings
              WOODSIDE, NY

              PATERSON STAMP
              Offset platemakers; photopolymer plates
              CLIFTON, NJ

              QUINT CO
              Mfrs, rubber, photopolymer, flexo printing plates
              HILADELPHIA, PA

              SHAW, E C, CO
              Rubber, photopolymer printing plates
              CINCINNATI, OH

              VISIMARK INC
              Flexo, photopolymer, rubber platemakers
              WORCESTER, MA
            • bielerpr
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Fontdr@a... wrote:
                > There are only 2 elements that make letterpress printâ*"ink and impressio=n.
                > From there on its a plate problem.

                Hi

                This didn't come through properly. Bit of a glitch. Keyboarding I'd
                suspect. But yes, letterpress's unique qualities are accumulating ink
                gain and impression. But the plate has to be adjusted for this, yes?
                Or rather the imaging has to be adjusted prior to making the plate.
                Quite simple stuff actually. You can easily get there, but all the
                action is on the front end. Once solved, everything afterward is just
                letterpress. Yes?

                Gerald

                ps: I just have to say this. When I began as a "fine press" printer,
                though the term then was "private press," we rarely used the word
                "letterpress" because of its, by then, commercial denigration. My,
                my, my, how that has changed.
              • Katie Harper
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                  Thanks for the info, Gerald. I will pass it along to my workshop students
                  who are always asking about vendors who do polymer plates. I was delighted
                  to see there is one in Cincinnati. I believe there is also a list on the
                  AAPA website, but I have not seen it.

                • Katie Harper
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                    I had an odd experience yesterday, and though I'd pass it along to this list
                    in case someone else has experienced the same thing or has a clue as to how
                    I can fix it.

                    What happened is this: I was setting type for a small brochure using Quark
                    Xpress 3.32 on my Mac G4 running 9.0.4. When I switched to the final font,
                    Centaur, all the lower parts of the descender on the lowercase g's were
                    gone. Also the tail on the uppercase italic Q. I had never noticed this
                    before with this font, which I use frequently, and I somehow doubted if
                    Bruce Rogers intended this. When printed on a laserprinter, the letters are
                    whole. When printed on an ink jet, which I assume is a QuickDraw printer and
                    only reproduces what is on the screen, the same pieces are missing. When I
                    tried the experiment in PageMaker I got the same results, although not as
                    much was missing. With Illustrator, the letters appear whole on screen.
                    Changing the baseline and leading didn't do a thing, nor did type size. I
                    tried a couple of other serif fonts, but could not repeat the problem, so it
                    may be endemic to Centaur.

                    Does anyone have an idea what is going on here, and more importantly, is
                    there something I can do to fix it?

                    Thanks.

                    Katie Harper
                    Ars Brevis Press
                    Cincinnati, OH
                    513-233-9588
                    http://www.arsbrevispress.com
                  • Brian Allen
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                      Katie -
                      some more info is needed to best diagnose the problem - are you using Adobe
                      Type Manager? What version number of the font? Adobe or Monotype
                      manufacture? (look in the .afm file at the notice, copyright and version
                      fields).
                      FYI, ATM allows you to preserve either line spacing or character shapes (see
                      the "general" settings under preferences) when it displays on screen.
                      Brian Allen

                      on 8/25/02 4:28 PM, Katie Harper at knharper@... wrote:

                      > I had an odd experience yesterday, and though I'd pass it along to this list
                      > in case someone else has experienced the same thing or has a clue as to how
                      > I can fix it.
                      >
                      > What happened is this: I was setting type for a small brochure using Quark
                      > Xpress 3.32 on my Mac G4 running 9.0.4. When I switched to the final font,
                      > Centaur, all the lower parts of the descender on the lowercase g's were
                      > gone. Also the tail on the uppercase italic Q. I had never noticed this
                      > before with this font, which I use frequently, and I somehow doubted if
                      > Bruce Rogers intended this. When printed on a laserprinter, the letters are
                      > whole. When printed on an ink jet, which I assume is a QuickDraw printer and
                      > only reproduces what is on the screen, the same pieces are missing. When I
                      > tried the experiment in PageMaker I got the same results, although not as
                      > much was missing. With Illustrator, the letters appear whole on screen.
                      > Changing the baseline and leading didn't do a thing, nor did type size. I
                      > tried a couple of other serif fonts, but could not repeat the problem, so it
                      > may be endemic to Centaur.
                      >
                      > Does anyone have an idea what is going on here, and more importantly, is
                      > there something I can do to fix it?
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >

                      > Katie Harper
                      > Ars Brevis Press
                      > Cincinnati, OH
                      > 513-233-9588
                      > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

                      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                      > ? Encountering problems? contact:
                      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                      > ? To unsubscribe:

                    • Katie Harper
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                        Thank you for advice and help with the typographic strangity.

                        Here is additional info:

                        font is Adobe, version 001.001

                        Switching the ATM prefs to preserve character shapes helped. The bottom of
                        the g came back, but the Italic Q still gets cut off. This was in Quark. I
                        haven't tried PageMaker yet.

                        It's been awhile since I read the book that came with ATM Deluxe. Will
                        switching to preserve character shapes be a compromise of some kind?

                      • Brian Allen
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                          Katie -
                          The ATM Deluxe 4.5 user guide has this to say:
                          Preserve: Choose the attributes that ATM Deluxe preserves when displaying or
                          printing fonts with accents or other diacritical marks.
                          + line spacing keeps all spacing between lines intact. ATM Deluxe may
                          compress uppercase letters with accents or other diacritical marks. This
                          option is the default.
                          + Character shapes increases the size of each character's bounding box so
                          that it prints to non-PostScript printers in its entirety. Selecting this
                          option may affect spacing between lines.

                          I have the same Centaur as you do, ATM Deluxe 4.6.1, and I don't see any
                          parts of letters being cut off on screen - with a standard 21 inch monitor).
                          My printer is PostScript, so Centaur prints cleanly there. I have Quark
                          4.11, though that shouldn't be the issue. I'm using the Adobe PS print
                          driver.
                          Brian Allen

                        • Fontdr@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                            The problem is with the reading of the postscript. The laser printer will
                            automatically translate the font for printer. QuarkXPress in the older
                            versions somtimes play games on the screen as well as the inkjet if there
                            isn't a jet server.
                            Bob Trogman
                          • bielerpr
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                              Dave

                              I did some looking around but could not find the degree of slope. In
                              a NAPP technical manual on flexography that I have they indicate an
                              expected increase in letterform gain of 5% from "negative to
                              printing." This is flexography though (not letterpress per se) and
                              usually in such reports "printing" has an awful lot to do with
                              "pressure" exerted on the photopolymer surface. See the following
                              for some interesting graphs

                              http://www.flexography.org/flexo/pdf/04A2001.pdf

                              They usually work this out much more in detail for the gain on
                              halftones at various lpi in these reports than they do for type.

                              I suspect that the 5% is quite close to the "maximum" amount of weight
                              reduction that one would attempt at the prepress stage, or as
                              Harold Kyle says, a bit more accurately, at the "pre-prepress" stage.

                              Though, of course, whatever was the degree of slope for the various
                              forms of metal type from foundry to foundry? handset, Monotype,
                              Linotype, etc? I'd assume these all varied a bit? I know in the late
                              fifties to early sixties Stempel was designing serrated edges into
                              their large point sized type to allow for ink drain on the larger and
                              faster presses of the time. The stuff looked like it had knicks on
                              the letterform's edges. And they were knicks, but cast. I doubt there is
                              any kind of consistency with any of the type technologies of the twentieth-
                              century in regard to degree of slope.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                Hrant H Papazian wrote:

                                > From: "bielerpr"
                                > > I have they indicate an expected increase
                                > > in letterform gain of 5%
                                >
                                > How could it be a percentage and not a metric amount?
                                > Let's say you have a circle 10 inches in diameter,
                                > no way is it going to gain 10 times more than a
                                > circle of 1 inch.
                                >
                                > hhp

                                Hrant

                                Good example! Probably should be expressed in metric.

                                I assume they are talking at the micro-level (my new word for the day).
                                But then, these technical reports are a bit inscrutable (well, at least
                                they are for me).

                                Thanks for setting this one straight!!!

                                Gerald
                              • Katie Harper
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                  Hello and thanks to all who responded about my digital typographic
                                  strangity, ie, letters being clipped on screen or with ink jet printers. I
                                  think the reason I have never noticed this before is that here to fore I
                                  have always used a laser printer. The ink jet is a new acquisition that I
                                  use for color proofs.

                                  The suggestion of switching ATM to preserve character shape (thank you Brian
                                  for that detail from the manual) had the most positive effect. In Quark, I
                                  was able to see both the bottom of the g but the Q was still clipped. With
                                  PageMaker, both letters were fine. This part of the ATM manual was a bit
                                  disconcerting, however: "Selecting this option (preserve character shape)
                                  may affect spacing between lines." Leads to visions of uneven leading all
                                  over the place...

                                  I think I shall keep the default setting (preserving line spacing) and turn
                                  it off when I know the final output has to be on an ink jet printer (rare).
                                  And when I really want things to look as right as rain, I'll set them in
                                  metal ;-)

                                  Katie Harper
                                  Ars Brevis Press
                                  Cincinnati, OH
                                  513-233-9588
                                  http://www.arsbrevispress.com

                                  > From: Fontdr@...
                                  > Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 01:08:21 EDT
                                  > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                  > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Strangity
                                  >
                                  > The problem is with the reading of the postscript. The laser printer will
                                  > automatically translate the font for printer. QuarkXPress in the older
                                  > versions somtimes play games on the screen as well as the inkjet if there
                                  > isn't a jet server.
                                  > Bob Trogman

                                • Harold Kyle
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                    On 8/23/02 3:23 PM, "bielerpr" <bieler@...> wrote:
                                    > I'm not sure what the angle of slope is offhand.

                                    The Technical Data Sheets for Jet plates list the optimal slope as 25 to 30
                                    degrees. I assume this means that a vertical slope is 0 degrees and a
                                    horizontal slope (say, an unprocessed plate) is 90 degress.

                                    Keep in mind that the light source's size and proximity to the plate affect
                                    this angle. A large bank of lights 1-1/2" from the plate will produce a more
                                    "gradual" slope (closer to 30 degrees), while a point light source located a
                                    few feet above the plate will cause a very "steep" slope (closer to
                                    vertical). The close bank of lights will send UV light through the negative
                                    at an "angle", building up more of the beard and providing a better
                                    foundation for the surface.

                                    Perhaps the differences you notice between lead and plastic are due to ink
                                    taking to the two surfaces differently. You might try stiffening the ink
                                    with polymer. Matte polymer plates tend to fight the squeeze of ink. You
                                    might have better results if you haven't already tried a matte plate
                                    surface.

                                    Harold

                                    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                    Boxcar Press
                                    640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                    315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                    www.boxcarpress.com
                                    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                  • Hrant H Papazian
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                      From: "bielerpr"

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 27, 2002
                                        From: Gerald Lange
                                        > I assume they are talking at the micro-level

                                        Well, if that means text (like at 10-11 point),
                                        it could make sense. If we assume that a "normal"
                                        text font has a stem width of within a narrow range,
                                        then a percentage is almost as good as a metric.

                                        And if you're working in Fontographer to compensate for
                                        gain (which I understand you yourself do), then it's much
                                        easier to just make things 5% thinner than try to calculate
                                        how many em units let's say 1/1000 of an inch is (for your
                                        intended point size).

                                        hhp