Erbar Initials again

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22 2:07 PM
      Thanks to all who furnished information regarding the Erbar Initials.
      The only primary source materials I found was a printing of the
      Initials by a San Francisco printer, dated 1924, and the information
      below* as provided by RIT.

      Based on secondary sources it would seem that Jakob Erbar (the
      designer of the Erbar sans, a source of confusion) was the designer
      for the Initials. Oddly though, the Initials seem never included in
      listings of his designs. And, unless I missed an email or two, none
      of the sources indicated a date of design for the Initials.

      Secondary sources also indicate Ludwig & Mayer as the foundry of
      origin (Erbar designed for this foundry). The importer, Continental,
      later Amsterdam Continental, did handle distribution for Ludwig &
      Mayer. The Cary Graphic Arts Press indicated that the face does show
      in Continental's specimen books of around 1929.*

      Apparently Melbert Cary of the Press of the Woolly Whale was fond of
      using the initials in combination with Eve. The RIT Cary Collection
      has a current showing of the Press of the Woolly Whale.

      Ludwig & Mayer also sold matrices to the US market for some of its
      faces. Not uncommon. Castcrafters of Chicago cast a number of Stemple
      faces, such as Optima and Palatino, from Stemple matrices. The
      casting I have however indicates it was ground to .918 for the US
      market.

      Amsterdam was suggested by a couple of correspondents. I did check
      through the Amsterdam catalogs that I have and it is not there,
      though they did cast the Erasmus Initials, which are often confused
      with the Erbar. The Initials I have likewise do not have the common
      t/a pinmark. Similar to other Ludwig & Mayer castings I have, there
      is no pinmark.

      So, that's the story thus far. Again, thanks one and all.

      Gerald Lange