Re: [PPLetterpress] wine bottle labels

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
      The only labels that survive moisture are either stamped right on the
      bottle or shrink-wrapped on. Paper never does well after a certain
      amount of time. Maybe printing it with a coat of lacquer or something
      like that will make it last a bit longer.

      That's all I've got right now. A theory: probably tree-based papers will
      disintegrate faster because their fibers are not only weaker, but tend
      to be shorter, I believe, than hemp or cotton.

      --Scott

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
        Geez, it's not like the bottles are going to be archived, are they?

        Seems like by the time you've had it in the ice for a while, that bottle's going for recycling

        ;-)

        At 7:38 AM -0700 13 09 07, Scott Rubel wrote:
        >The only labels that survive moisture are either stamped right on the
        >bottle or shrink-wrapped on. Paper never does well after a certain
        >amount of time. Maybe printing it with a coat of lacquer or something
        >like that will make it last a bit longer.
        >
        >That's all I've got right now. A theory: probably tree-based papers will
        >disintegrate faster because their fibers are not only weaker, but tend
        >to be shorter, I believe, than hemp or cotton.
        >
        >--Scott

        Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      • richard seibert
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
          It is important to print wine labels grain short.
        • parallel_imp
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, richard seibert <richard@...> wrote:

            > It is important to print wine labels grain short.

            Can you explain why?
            I've been told that automatic labelling machines require the grain
            to go around the bottle, not vertical, for additional stiffness during
            application. And since a label may be in vertical or horizontal format
            or even square (or round), it would be more clear to express grain
            orientation relative to container rather than to label format.
          • richard seibert
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2007
              Sorry, am unable to explain why.

              I only know that as a printer/designer my wine label clients have
              been hyperparanoid about the issue, almost as if the world would
              cease to turn if it were not the case. So I have only anecdotal
              evidence. And the winemaker's experiences, which have led to these
              anecdotes, may very well have had to do with older, more finicky
              bottling machines.

              I think the labels I have done have all been wider than tall, which
              would make the grain run with cylinder rather than around it, but
              I'll double check.