wine bottle labels

  • itchybramble
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2007
      Does anyone have any advice for printing wine bottle labels? Particularly types of paper that
      is strong and soft enough for a good impression but still capable of being glued to a bottle
      and surviving a bucket of ice. Any other tips in this area would be much appreciated.

      Best,
      Genevieve Yue
      Lettre Sauvage
    • alex brooks
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2007
        On Sep 12, 2007, at 11:04 PM, itchybramble wrote:
        > Does anyone have any advice for printing wine bottle labels?
        > Particularly types of paper that
        > is strong and soft enough for a good impression but still capable
        > of being glued to a bottle
        > and surviving a bucket of ice.

        Genevieve-
        As someone who opens wine bottles for a living [besides the whole
        printing thing] i can tell you that 50% of commercial wine bottles do
        not retain their labels in a wine bucket. Usually the problem is the
        adhesive, not the paper. This can be particularly troublesome when
        pouring a bottle over a table, with your thumb on the front label and
        fingers on the back label, and the bottle slips out of its labels.

        Most labels that do stay on in a wine bucket look like crap. And even
        if they stay on, they're different afterwards, the same as a novel
        that's been dunked in icewater.

        I would recommend a handmade paper, or a heavily sized paper, along
        with a waterfast adhesive.
        That's all the help i'm good for.
        -alex
        press817
        lexington kentucky
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
          The only labels that survive moisture are either stamped right on the
          bottle or shrink-wrapped on. Paper never does well after a certain
          amount of time. Maybe printing it with a coat of lacquer or something
          like that will make it last a bit longer.

          That's all I've got right now. A theory: probably tree-based papers will
          disintegrate faster because their fibers are not only weaker, but tend
          to be shorter, I believe, than hemp or cotton.

          --Scott

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
            Geez, it's not like the bottles are going to be archived, are they?

            Seems like by the time you've had it in the ice for a while, that bottle's going for recycling

            ;-)

            At 7:38 AM -0700 13 09 07, Scott Rubel wrote:
            >The only labels that survive moisture are either stamped right on the
            >bottle or shrink-wrapped on. Paper never does well after a certain
            >amount of time. Maybe printing it with a coat of lacquer or something
            >like that will make it last a bit longer.
            >
            >That's all I've got right now. A theory: probably tree-based papers will
            >disintegrate faster because their fibers are not only weaker, but tend
            >to be shorter, I believe, than hemp or cotton.
            >
            >--Scott

            Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
          • richard seibert
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
              It is important to print wine labels grain short.
            • parallel_imp
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13, 2007
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, richard seibert <richard@...> wrote:

                > It is important to print wine labels grain short.

                Can you explain why?
                I've been told that automatic labelling machines require the grain
                to go around the bottle, not vertical, for additional stiffness during
                application. And since a label may be in vertical or horizontal format
                or even square (or round), it would be more clear to express grain
                orientation relative to container rather than to label format.
              • richard seibert
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 14, 2007
                  Sorry, am unable to explain why.

                  I only know that as a printer/designer my wine label clients have
                  been hyperparanoid about the issue, almost as if the world would
                  cease to turn if it were not the case. So I have only anecdotal
                  evidence. And the winemaker's experiences, which have led to these
                  anecdotes, may very well have had to do with older, more finicky
                  bottling machines.

                  I think the labels I have done have all been wider than tall, which
                  would make the grain run with cylinder rather than around it, but
                  I'll double check.