Re: [PPLetterpress] Mounting for Honeycomb base

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 20, 2002
      I use the Boxcar base most of the time, and have had very good results with
      it. If there is a drop in quality I cannot see it, and I'm pretty fussy. I
      have not had any trouble with plate travel, although I deliberately keep
      jobs requiring tight registration to a minimum. There are times, however,
      that I would like deeper relief, which the plastic-backed plates cannot
      offer at this time. So I still use metal-backed plates as well, and the
      Bunting Base is on my wish list.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 21, 2002
        On 8/20/02 8:36 AM, "Katie Harper" <knharper@...> wrote:
        >I use the Boxcar base most of the time, and have had very good results with
        > it.
        First of all, thanks for sharing your positive experience with our base.

        > There are times, however,
        > that I would like deeper relief, which the plastic-backed plates cannot
        > offer at this time.

        This is a valid concern, but one that I can't recall hearing from customers
        before this post. I usually handle these types of concerns one-on-one,
        because I often suspect the causes are related to an individual's technique.
        Many customers--including myself--use plastic-backed plates successfully for
        deep relief printing of wedding invitations on thick paper stock without
        "bottoming out" the plate.

        Before I address Katie's case, I would like to point out that the plastic
        backed plates have 0.029" relief, which is nearly identical to the relief of
        American Monotype (0.030"). This relief is also more than twice the overall
        thickness of both Rives BFK 250gsm and Mohawk Superfine 100# cover;
        "bottoming out" the plate on either of these thick papers would create a
        ridge on the reverse side of the paper more than twice as thick as the
        actual deboss*! Which side do your customers plan on reading?

        (* this "mountain" on the reverse side would be twice the thickness of the
        paper, plus the thickness of the paper itself, minus the "compression" that
        impression caused the paper. )

        So I wonder if these concerns are hocus-pocus. If there are other printers
        on the list who share this concern, please speak up! I would love to offer a
        system with deeper relief if it's needed. I just haven't seen (or heard) of
        the current plates' limitations until now. Perhaps I can help, though:

        Katie: I wonder if your are truly experiencing the plate "bottoming out". In
        experimenting this, I found you can get the full 0.029" of relief before the
        backing of the polymer plate hits the paper. When this happens, the backing
        burnishes the paper and creates an outline of the backing of the plate in
        the paper's surface. Is this the symptom that you have? If so, you are
        correct: you need a deeper relief plate. Contact me on- or off-list if
        you're interested in a system that will allow you a deeper relief without
        using magnetic bases.

        If you don't see the outline of the backing on the paper, then you haven't
        reached the plate's capacity for debossing the paper. If this is the case,
        contact me on- or off-list about press techniques to help you get more
        relief out of your plate. Please let me know what press, what paper, and
        what size form you're printing.

        Thanks,
        Harold

        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        Boxcar Press
        640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
        315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
        www.boxcarpress.com
        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      • David Griffin
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 22, 2002
          What I've always wondered is if the beard is the same angle on photpholymer
          plates as it is on foundry type. When I crank up the impression, I could swear
          the "type" becomes slightly bold-er. Of course, it could be my crummy platen dressing.......
          Dave
          Windswept Press

        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 23, 2002
            Sounds like you have too much ink or your rollers are too low, or rollers
            are not in good condition. There are a variety of issues to deal with, and I
            have a bit of experience with this particular battle. If you look at the
            final print through a loupe, you will probably see ink spreading out beyond
            the letter. See George Mill's book Platen Press Operation for some good
            illustration of various inking problems.

            Katie Harper
            Ars Brevis Press
            Cincinnati, OH
            513-233-9588
            http://www.arsbrevispress.com

            > From: "David Griffin" <davidgriffin@...>
            > Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:03:53 -0400
            > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Plastic plates' relief depth
            >
            > What I've always wondered is if the beard is the same angle on photpholymer
            > plates as it is on foundry type. When I crank up the impression, I could
            > swear
            > the "type" becomes slightly bold-er. Of course, it could be my crummy platen
            > dressing.......
            > Dave
            > Windswept Press

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > ? Encountering problems? contact:
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > ? To unsubscribe:

          • David Griffin
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 23, 2002
              "Sounds like you have too much ink or your rollers are too low, or rollers are not in good condition"
              Thanks for the response, Katie, and those are certainly good possibilities. But my rollers are new, I've adjusted them with a guage, and I don't get the same effect with foundry type. And I still wonder if anyone knows if the angle is different.
              Thanks, Dave

            • bielerpr
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 23, 2002
                > "Sounds like you have too much ink or your rollers are too low, or rollers are not in good condition"
                > Thanks for the response, Katie, and those are certainly good possibilities. But my rollers are new, I've adjusted them with a guage, and I don't get the same effect with foundry type. And I still wonder if anyone knows if the angle is different.
                > Thanks, Dave

                Dave

                I'm not sure what the angle of slope is offhand. Think I have that in
                my notes somewhere, but at any rate, I would suspect the degree of
                inclination would be more similar to that of photoengravings rather
                than metal type. Secondly, the slope might be altered somewhat by
                exposure and washout times. The longer the exposure the more bottom
                fill-in will occur (the linking photopolymer grows upward from bottom
                to top with longer exposure). The more washout the more the
                possibility of undercutting near the surface image. Two somewhat
                contradictory processes that can be used to complement each other.
                This is especially forced for halftones.

                The enlargement you are concerned with is why there is so much stress
                here (on the list) on compensating for this effect at the prepress
                stage, both for type and images.

                Gerald
              • Hrant H Papazian
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
                  From: Katie Harper
                  > Sounds like you have too much ink or ....

                  I don't get it.
                  Haven't we established that there is always some gain,
                  especially affecting the color/texture of small type?

                  hhp
                • Fontdr@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
                    There are only 2 elements that make letterpress print–ink and impression.
                    From there on its a plate problem.
                  • Katie Harper
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
                      I have been contacted by a young man in Cincinnati who has inherited his
                      grandfather's C&P Old Style 10x15 platen press (serial number 2024, dating
                      from about 1898) and several cases of type, with chases, job sticks, and all
                      the workings for a small print shop (cabinets containing type cases are
                      homemade). The press is in good working condition and needs a good home with
                      someone who will use it and care for it as the grandfather did. It is,
                      however, in a walkout basement, so it will need to be disassembled in order
                      to be moved out through the doorways. The good news is that there are not
                      any stairs!

                      If you are interested, please contact me for more information.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 24, 2002
                        Katie

                        Regarding your earlier question: Here's an odd list I scrounged up of
                        some commercial concerns scattered about the US (on your side of the
                        river) either "manufacturing" photopolymer plates or "processing"
                        them. Hard to tell from the descriptions. I guess just check out
                        those listed in your own region. I doubt there is any way that I
                        could put together a decent list of all commercial processors. The
                        lists I have in the Bookmarks section are the more common (non-
                        industry) processors that most book arts folk use.

                        Gerald

                        COSCO GRAPHICS
                        Photopolymer, rubber platemakers
                        TOLEDO, OH

                        E Z PACKAGING & GRAPHICS
                        Photopolymer, rubber platemakers
                        LILBURN, GA

                        MATRIX UNLIMITED INC
                        Flexo, mylar, photopolymer platemakers
                        ROCHESTER, NY

                        MATTHEWS INTERNATIONAL CORP
                        Mfrs, rubber, photopolymer printing plates, film masters
                        NORTH ADDLEBORO, MA

                        MULLER, WILLIAM, ENGRAVING INC
                        Mfrs, flexographic, photopolymer plates, photoengravings
                        WOODSIDE, NY

                        PATERSON STAMP
                        Offset platemakers; photopolymer plates
                        CLIFTON, NJ

                        QUINT CO
                        Mfrs, rubber, photopolymer, flexo printing plates
                        HILADELPHIA, PA

                        SHAW, E C, CO
                        Rubber, photopolymer printing plates
                        CINCINNATI, OH

                        VISIMARK INC
                        Flexo, photopolymer, rubber platemakers
                        WORCESTER, MA
                      • bielerpr
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Fontdr@a... wrote:
                          > There are only 2 elements that make letterpress printâ*"ink and impressio=n.
                          > From there on its a plate problem.

                          Hi

                          This didn't come through properly. Bit of a glitch. Keyboarding I'd
                          suspect. But yes, letterpress's unique qualities are accumulating ink
                          gain and impression. But the plate has to be adjusted for this, yes?
                          Or rather the imaging has to be adjusted prior to making the plate.
                          Quite simple stuff actually. You can easily get there, but all the
                          action is on the front end. Once solved, everything afterward is just
                          letterpress. Yes?

                          Gerald

                          ps: I just have to say this. When I began as a "fine press" printer,
                          though the term then was "private press," we rarely used the word
                          "letterpress" because of its, by then, commercial denigration. My,
                          my, my, how that has changed.
                        • Katie Harper
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                            Thanks for the info, Gerald. I will pass it along to my workshop students
                            who are always asking about vendors who do polymer plates. I was delighted
                            to see there is one in Cincinnati. I believe there is also a list on the
                            AAPA website, but I have not seen it.

                          • Katie Harper
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                              I had an odd experience yesterday, and though I'd pass it along to this list
                              in case someone else has experienced the same thing or has a clue as to how
                              I can fix it.

                              What happened is this: I was setting type for a small brochure using Quark
                              Xpress 3.32 on my Mac G4 running 9.0.4. When I switched to the final font,
                              Centaur, all the lower parts of the descender on the lowercase g's were
                              gone. Also the tail on the uppercase italic Q. I had never noticed this
                              before with this font, which I use frequently, and I somehow doubted if
                              Bruce Rogers intended this. When printed on a laserprinter, the letters are
                              whole. When printed on an ink jet, which I assume is a QuickDraw printer and
                              only reproduces what is on the screen, the same pieces are missing. When I
                              tried the experiment in PageMaker I got the same results, although not as
                              much was missing. With Illustrator, the letters appear whole on screen.
                              Changing the baseline and leading didn't do a thing, nor did type size. I
                              tried a couple of other serif fonts, but could not repeat the problem, so it
                              may be endemic to Centaur.

                              Does anyone have an idea what is going on here, and more importantly, is
                              there something I can do to fix it?

                              Thanks.

                              Katie Harper
                              Ars Brevis Press
                              Cincinnati, OH
                              513-233-9588
                              http://www.arsbrevispress.com
                            • Brian Allen
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                                Katie -
                                some more info is needed to best diagnose the problem - are you using Adobe
                                Type Manager? What version number of the font? Adobe or Monotype
                                manufacture? (look in the .afm file at the notice, copyright and version
                                fields).
                                FYI, ATM allows you to preserve either line spacing or character shapes (see
                                the "general" settings under preferences) when it displays on screen.
                                Brian Allen

                                on 8/25/02 4:28 PM, Katie Harper at knharper@... wrote:

                                > I had an odd experience yesterday, and though I'd pass it along to this list
                                > in case someone else has experienced the same thing or has a clue as to how
                                > I can fix it.
                                >
                                > What happened is this: I was setting type for a small brochure using Quark
                                > Xpress 3.32 on my Mac G4 running 9.0.4. When I switched to the final font,
                                > Centaur, all the lower parts of the descender on the lowercase g's were
                                > gone. Also the tail on the uppercase italic Q. I had never noticed this
                                > before with this font, which I use frequently, and I somehow doubted if
                                > Bruce Rogers intended this. When printed on a laserprinter, the letters are
                                > whole. When printed on an ink jet, which I assume is a QuickDraw printer and
                                > only reproduces what is on the screen, the same pieces are missing. When I
                                > tried the experiment in PageMaker I got the same results, although not as
                                > much was missing. With Illustrator, the letters appear whole on screen.
                                > Changing the baseline and leading didn't do a thing, nor did type size. I
                                > tried a couple of other serif fonts, but could not repeat the problem, so it
                                > may be endemic to Centaur.
                                >
                                > Does anyone have an idea what is going on here, and more importantly, is
                                > there something I can do to fix it?
                                >
                                > Thanks.
                                >

                                > Katie Harper
                                > Ars Brevis Press
                                > Cincinnati, OH
                                > 513-233-9588
                                > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

                                > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                > ? Encountering problems? contact:
                                > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                > ? To unsubscribe:

                              • Katie Harper
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                                  Thank you for advice and help with the typographic strangity.

                                  Here is additional info:

                                  font is Adobe, version 001.001

                                  Switching the ATM prefs to preserve character shapes helped. The bottom of
                                  the g came back, but the Italic Q still gets cut off. This was in Quark. I
                                  haven't tried PageMaker yet.

                                  It's been awhile since I read the book that came with ATM Deluxe. Will
                                  switching to preserve character shapes be a compromise of some kind?

                                • Brian Allen
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                                    Katie -
                                    The ATM Deluxe 4.5 user guide has this to say:
                                    Preserve: Choose the attributes that ATM Deluxe preserves when displaying or
                                    printing fonts with accents or other diacritical marks.
                                    + line spacing keeps all spacing between lines intact. ATM Deluxe may
                                    compress uppercase letters with accents or other diacritical marks. This
                                    option is the default.
                                    + Character shapes increases the size of each character's bounding box so
                                    that it prints to non-PostScript printers in its entirety. Selecting this
                                    option may affect spacing between lines.

                                    I have the same Centaur as you do, ATM Deluxe 4.6.1, and I don't see any
                                    parts of letters being cut off on screen - with a standard 21 inch monitor).
                                    My printer is PostScript, so Centaur prints cleanly there. I have Quark
                                    4.11, though that shouldn't be the issue. I'm using the Adobe PS print
                                    driver.
                                    Brian Allen

                                  • Fontdr@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                                      The problem is with the reading of the postscript. The laser printer will
                                      automatically translate the font for printer. QuarkXPress in the older
                                      versions somtimes play games on the screen as well as the inkjet if there
                                      isn't a jet server.
                                      Bob Trogman
                                    • bielerpr
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 25, 2002
                                        Dave

                                        I did some looking around but could not find the degree of slope. In
                                        a NAPP technical manual on flexography that I have they indicate an
                                        expected increase in letterform gain of 5% from "negative to
                                        printing." This is flexography though (not letterpress per se) and
                                        usually in such reports "printing" has an awful lot to do with
                                        "pressure" exerted on the photopolymer surface. See the following
                                        for some interesting graphs

                                        http://www.flexography.org/flexo/pdf/04A2001.pdf

                                        They usually work this out much more in detail for the gain on
                                        halftones at various lpi in these reports than they do for type.

                                        I suspect that the 5% is quite close to the "maximum" amount of weight
                                        reduction that one would attempt at the prepress stage, or as
                                        Harold Kyle says, a bit more accurately, at the "pre-prepress" stage.

                                        Though, of course, whatever was the degree of slope for the various
                                        forms of metal type from foundry to foundry? handset, Monotype,
                                        Linotype, etc? I'd assume these all varied a bit? I know in the late
                                        fifties to early sixties Stempel was designing serrated edges into
                                        their large point sized type to allow for ink drain on the larger and
                                        faster presses of the time. The stuff looked like it had knicks on
                                        the letterform's edges. And they were knicks, but cast. I doubt there is
                                        any kind of consistency with any of the type technologies of the twentieth-
                                        century in regard to degree of slope.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                          Hrant H Papazian wrote:

                                          > From: "bielerpr"
                                          > > I have they indicate an expected increase
                                          > > in letterform gain of 5%
                                          >
                                          > How could it be a percentage and not a metric amount?
                                          > Let's say you have a circle 10 inches in diameter,
                                          > no way is it going to gain 10 times more than a
                                          > circle of 1 inch.
                                          >
                                          > hhp

                                          Hrant

                                          Good example! Probably should be expressed in metric.

                                          I assume they are talking at the micro-level (my new word for the day).
                                          But then, these technical reports are a bit inscrutable (well, at least
                                          they are for me).

                                          Thanks for setting this one straight!!!

                                          Gerald
                                        • Katie Harper
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                            Hello and thanks to all who responded about my digital typographic
                                            strangity, ie, letters being clipped on screen or with ink jet printers. I
                                            think the reason I have never noticed this before is that here to fore I
                                            have always used a laser printer. The ink jet is a new acquisition that I
                                            use for color proofs.

                                            The suggestion of switching ATM to preserve character shape (thank you Brian
                                            for that detail from the manual) had the most positive effect. In Quark, I
                                            was able to see both the bottom of the g but the Q was still clipped. With
                                            PageMaker, both letters were fine. This part of the ATM manual was a bit
                                            disconcerting, however: "Selecting this option (preserve character shape)
                                            may affect spacing between lines." Leads to visions of uneven leading all
                                            over the place...

                                            I think I shall keep the default setting (preserving line spacing) and turn
                                            it off when I know the final output has to be on an ink jet printer (rare).
                                            And when I really want things to look as right as rain, I'll set them in
                                            metal ;-)

                                            Katie Harper
                                            Ars Brevis Press
                                            Cincinnati, OH
                                            513-233-9588
                                            http://www.arsbrevispress.com

                                            > From: Fontdr@...
                                            > Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 01:08:21 EDT
                                            > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                                            > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Strangity
                                            >
                                            > The problem is with the reading of the postscript. The laser printer will
                                            > automatically translate the font for printer. QuarkXPress in the older
                                            > versions somtimes play games on the screen as well as the inkjet if there
                                            > isn't a jet server.
                                            > Bob Trogman

                                          • Harold Kyle
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                              On 8/23/02 3:23 PM, "bielerpr" <bieler@...> wrote:
                                              > I'm not sure what the angle of slope is offhand.

                                              The Technical Data Sheets for Jet plates list the optimal slope as 25 to 30
                                              degrees. I assume this means that a vertical slope is 0 degrees and a
                                              horizontal slope (say, an unprocessed plate) is 90 degress.

                                              Keep in mind that the light source's size and proximity to the plate affect
                                              this angle. A large bank of lights 1-1/2" from the plate will produce a more
                                              "gradual" slope (closer to 30 degrees), while a point light source located a
                                              few feet above the plate will cause a very "steep" slope (closer to
                                              vertical). The close bank of lights will send UV light through the negative
                                              at an "angle", building up more of the beard and providing a better
                                              foundation for the surface.

                                              Perhaps the differences you notice between lead and plastic are due to ink
                                              taking to the two surfaces differently. You might try stiffening the ink
                                              with polymer. Matte polymer plates tend to fight the squeeze of ink. You
                                              might have better results if you haven't already tried a matte plate
                                              surface.

                                              Harold

                                              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 26, 2002
                                                From: "bielerpr"

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 27, 2002
                                                  From: Gerald Lange
                                                  > I assume they are talking at the micro-level

                                                  Well, if that means text (like at 10-11 point),
                                                  it could make sense. If we assume that a "normal"
                                                  text font has a stem width of within a narrow range,
                                                  then a percentage is almost as good as a metric.

                                                  And if you're working in Fontographer to compensate for
                                                  gain (which I understand you yourself do), then it's much
                                                  easier to just make things 5% thinner than try to calculate
                                                  how many em units let's say 1/1000 of an inch is (for your
                                                  intended point size).

                                                  hhp