[PPLetterpress] Re: Color Management and photopolymer

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 18, 2007
      Fritz

      Thats a pretty high tech circuit board for the early 60s
      Classy design!

      :-)

      At 6:54 AM +0000 18 08 07, nagraph1 wrote:
      >Just for grins, I scanned my 4-color letterpress work and it is at:
      >
      >http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1340/1156824476_395d9af33f_b.jpg
      >
      >This was from wood mounted zinc cuts, 4-color process inks, no
      >makeready, coated stock, Miehle V-50, had to run 500 in register to
      >get a passing grade, and my press partner and I got an A from our
      >instructor, George Mills, at Carnegie Tech. I've often thought that
      >negatives and separations made for offset would work just fine in
      >letterpress and this sort of demonstrates that idea. Traditional
      >photoengraving was too bound by tradition by the 1960s when I
      >printed this (1962). The splash of yellow in this cut has no other
      >ink colors, and I didn't have problems with hard edges that the
      >letterpress folks would say that we had to have a minimum dot appear
      >on all the image.

      >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<

      Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com Sign up for "Type and Meaning" !
      Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 18, 2007
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

        > Just for grins, I scanned my 4-color letterpress work and it is at:
        >
        > http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1340/1156824476_395d9af33f_b.jpg
        >
        > This was from wood mounted zinc cuts, 4-color process inks, no
        > makeready, coated stock, Miehle V-50, had to run 500 in register to
        > get a passing grade, and my press partner and I got an A from our
        > instructor, George Mills, at Carnegie Tech. I've often thought that
        > negatives and separations made for offset would work just fine in
        > letterpress and this sort of demonstrates that idea. Traditional
        > photoengraving was too bound by tradition by the 1960s when I
        > printed this (1962). The splash of yellow in this cut has no other
        > ink colors, and I didn't have problems with hard edges that the
        > letterpress folks would say that we had to have a minimum dot appear
        > on all the image.
        >
        > Ansel Adams insisted on letterpress for his work because at the time
        > offset inks and paper coatings plus fountain solutions couldn't cope
        > with as dense a black that letterpress could print. Things changed
        > however, but the photoengraver, stuck with tradition, watched the
        > letterpress ship sink.

        That's really nice work, Fritz. And the artwork is well-suited to the
        process, probably done by a graphic artist specifically for
        reproduction, with limited highlights and shadows, no overlays
        necessary. On the other hand, something like an Ansel Adams photo
        with bright highlights and dark shadows far exceeds the tonal range of
        printing, letterpress or offset, and needs at least a duotone to even
        approach the original.
        When my teacher Inky Ryan was an apprentice, he was press
        assistant on an Ansel Adams book (copper halftones, coated stock).
        Ansel was hovering at the delivery and trying to critique each sheet.
        The foreman had to remove him from the pressroom and bring out
        press-sheets to the office for inspection. Once approved, they'd have
        to stop and scrub the plates every two or three sheets to hold the
        image. $$$!
        It is fun to play with old halftones, but for new work, do you
        know of any photoengravers doing fine-screen halftones today? How
        about Metal Magic?

        As for the photoengravers watching the letterpress ship sink, that
        isn't quite right. They merged with a lithographic union mid-60s to
        form the LPEU. So it's more like jumping ship.
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • nagraph1
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 19, 2007
          The negs were from Hughes Aircraft in California and this originally
          appeared on the cover of the Carnegie Tech technical magazine that
          was printed letterpress at the time. I watched in both horror and
          amusement as the cover was printed on a hand fed Miehle flatbed--the
          poor pressman kept muttering something about "what's wrong with
          black ink covers" and it turned out so-so in his hands. They had a
          Miehle 29 that it should have been printed on.

          A year after this was printed, I was working for Lockheed Missiles
          and Space and we were using technology far advanced from what was
          depicted in that artwork--we had successfully launched missiles from
          submarines that were guided by internal guidance systems that were
          pretty sophisticated, and the warhead could be delivered into a ten
          meter square on the ground. But,we were setting the manuals on how
          to operate this weapons system at Holmes Typography in San Jose on
          hot metal Monotypes. I always found that somewhat ironic. I need to
          get a better scan without some of the annoying moire that showed up
          on the flick site.

          Fritz

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...>