Re: [PPLetterpress] Best LP Black for PP?

  • Matt Kelsey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
      Gans Ink has something which I think is called Letterpress Bond Black. It's
      got a nice stiff texture and works wonderfully with photopolymer (and with
      metal type) on my platen press. It probably won't stay open on press for
      more than a few hours, but I like an ink that dries quickly. I bought a can
      of it from John Sullivan of Logos Graphics at the SF Book Arts/Printer's
      Fair in May, but you should be able to get it directly from Gans. John said
      he has good results with it from photopolymer on his windmill. If I recall
      correctly, I believe he said it had a higher proportion of pigment in it
      (like the old fashioned letterpress inks) compared to offset ink
      formulations.

      Matt

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        Matt

        Thanks for the info on the ink front. I've been put on to a "new" ink as
        well. And it seems to be worthwhile. Graphic Chemical & Ink Co.'s
        Lithographic Senefelder's Crayon Black No. 1803. Nice tack, quite
        sticky, with a nice string to it. Works quite well for a Vandercook or
        hand press right out of the can. Viscosity can also be altered (thinned)
        with their Graphic Litho Roll Up Black No. 1921 if need be.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
          Thanks all for the good info and pointers!

          BTW, I've recently purchased a can of the "good black stuff" from NA Graphics, haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to cracking it open...