RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: print estimating/management software

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
      Well, I have never tried it, but is it programmed in Visual Basic by
      Microsoft, so I would hope the made Vista backwards compatable with at
      least XP. I would think so.. Just download the program and try it...

      - Lance

      MacBook Pro with
      > Parallels and Windows Vista Business. Could you speculate whether your
      program would
      > run as is on Vista?
      >
      > Brian
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams" <lwwill7999@...>
      wrote:

      > > If you are looking for a nice quick pricing program, I wrote one a
      couple
      > > years ago to fill my needs. Several letterpress printers have found it
      > > helpful. It is only available for PC's running Windows, but here is the
      > > website to download:
      > >
      > > http://software.kadetstationery.com
      > >
      > > Registration is $30, and it will be mostly fully functional for 30
      days. I
      > > say mostly, because I can't remember off-hand if I disabled anything or
      not
      > > for the first 30 days.... But after that, there are some limits on
      what it
      > > will allow you to do...
      > >
      > > Take a look, and I am always willing to do some program updates to
      improve
      > > functionality....
      > >
      > > - Lance Williams
      > > Williams Stationery Co.
      > > Camden, New York
      > > APA #785

    • George Chapman
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
        I'm sure that Lance's program is just fine for his operation and
        adaptable to your needs. That being said I did thousands of estimates
        manually over a ten year period at a successful small company in
        Kentucky using a simple fill in the blanks sheet. As they say, for a
        small shop, it ain't rocket science. The critical thing is setting the
        right basic values.

        gac
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
          For some people it is rocket science. As I've grown I've had to hire
          people, and even though I can pretty much estimate in my head, they
          can't. I keep them because they are very skilled "people persons" and
          really help land the sales, but in order to have them function
          mathematically I had to come up with a giant grid and I had to simplify
          the estimating process, perhaps losing a little profit on some jobs and
          making too much on others.

          I have dreamed of a little pop-up calculator that is specific to my
          particular needs and I may have it soon, I think. It will work in Excel.

          --Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 28, 2007
            Going back to this question...
            Jason, how are you using this (Billings) for estimating letterpress print jobs?

            Is there an estimating system in the program or did you come up with your own approach to this?

            thanks!

            PF

            At 9:43 AM -0600 2 08 07, Jason Wedekind wrote:
            >I don't think you could call my shop busy, but seeing your .mac
            >address made me think you may want to check out what I use for
            >estimating/invoicing... It's called Billings.
            >
            >http://www.billings2.com/
            >
            >I was laughing at some of the reviews at versiontracker. I haven't
            >had any real problems with it. And the price is definitely right,
            >Bob! or Brian ;)
            >
            >Jason Wedekind
            >http://www.genghiskern.com
            >

            >On Aug 1, 2007, at 6:27 PM, allenprinter wrote:
            >
            > > On the subject of the business of letterpress, is anyone with a
            > > busy shop using cost
            > > estimating and/or project management software? I'd like to do
            > > quotes faster and more
            > > accurately, and keep better track of projects. So I'm looking at
            > > this kind of software. Most
            > > packages I've come across are for large offset operations and much
            > > too expensive. Any leads
            > > gratefully accepted.
            > > Thanks very much.
            > > Brian Allen
            > > bdallen@...

            Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
            http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
            http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
          • Allison Chapman
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 28, 2007
              I love the Billings program. I am only about a month in, but I have found
              it very helpful.

              I have been doing the 30 day trial for Billings and the companion program,
              Daylite. Daylite is a little bit more than I need at this point, I have
              decided to just purchase Billings.

              Allison

            • Jason Wedekind
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                There's an estimate "slip" in the software. They have expense, timed,
                flat and one more category, and you can make your own sub categories.
                Once you put your categories in there (platemaking, paper, film) it's
                rather quick to put together an estimate. If the job moves forward,
                you roll it into the working "slips" phase, then once it's done, you
                roll to the "invoice". It saves me time personally. I used to do my
                estimate/billing in InDesign. This is way faster/easier to track and
                it pops out a professional looking form.

                If I ever upgrade to a intel based mac I'll try Lance's software. It
                sounds more printer based.

                Hope that helps!

                Jason Wedekind
                303.960.5770