[PPLetterpress] Re: Deep relief pp; Cutting a larger base....

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
      Thanks all for the enlightenment on this thread!
      Hope to have all the pieces in place to give it a whirl in the next week or so. (Still waiting for my 220 power install for the Intertek...)
      I've got a 9x12 Boxcar base which came along with the Heidelberg, as it turns out.
      Haven't checked with the gauge yet, but I assume it's "standard" height, as there are no markings indicating otherwise (does the deep base have a note to that effect?)

      Regards
      PF

      At 5:21 AM +0000 2 08 07, Gerald Lange wrote:
      >Matt
      >
      >The thinner base, the so called "deep relief," will actually
      >accomodate either thick or thin plates with appropriate underlay on
      >the latter ((dependent upon the variance of grind, .021-.023). So, you
      >don't really need another base. Bit trickier on a platen though. But
      >yes, if one is inking the floor of the plate, the rollers are
      >definitely out of adjustment.

      >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<

      Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com Sign up for "Type and Meaning" !
      Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
        The bases with red gridding are Deep Relief. Standard bases have black
        gridding.

        For Matt, a glue stick helps keep underlay attached to the base during
        lockup.

        I hope this helps,
        Harold

        Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

        > Thanks all for the enlightenment on this thread!
        > Hope to have all the pieces in place to give it a whirl in the next
        > week or so. (Still waiting for my 220 power install for the Intertek...)
        > I've got a 9x12 Boxcar base which came along with the Heidelberg, as
        > it turns out.
        > Haven't checked with the gauge yet, but I assume it's "standard"
        > height, as there are no markings indicating otherwise (does the deep
        > base have a note to that effect?)
        >
        > Regards
        > PF
        >
        > At 5:21 AM +0000 2 08 07, Gerald Lange wrote:
        > >Matt
        > >
        > >The thinner base, the so called "deep relief," will actually
        > >accomodate either thick or thin plates with appropriate underlay on
        > >the latter ((dependent upon the variance of grind, .021-.023). So, you
        > >don't really need another base. Bit trickier on a platen though. But
        > >yes, if one is inking the floor of the plate, the rollers are
        > >definitely out of adjustment.
        >
        > --
        > AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa&@
        > >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<
        >
        > Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com <http://typeandmeaning.com> Sign
        > up for "Type and Meaning" !
        > Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
        > -:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*-:-*
        > Peter Fraterdeus http://www.alphabets.com <http://www.alphabets.com> :
        > Sign up for "MiceType"!
        > Galena, Illinois Design Philosophy Fonts Lettering Letterpress Wood Type
        > Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com <http://www.fraterdeus.com>
        > Photography Irish Fiddle Political Observation
        > http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
        > <http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus>

        Boxcar Press: Letterpress for the 21st Century
        501 West Fayette Street, Studio 222
        Syracuse, New York 13204
        (315) 473-0930 phone
        (315) 473-0967 fax
        http://www.boxcarpress.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
          Matt

          Thanks. I would think this would work for any kind of base where the
          plate and base combination do not work out to type high but can be
          measurable. Though, the fold is tricky; a 1/2-pt (copper) or 1-pt (brass
          or lead) length of leading might need be used to compensate between the
          base and underlay slip.