Best LP Black for PP?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
      Is there any distinction made between inks for PP vs metal letterpress?
      Either way, what are favorite sources at this time?

      I am fortunate to have found a can of Cardinal Colors Slow-dry Letterpress Black (about 12 years old) while digging through the rest of the rock hard stuff. The old ink guys at Cardinal (no longer around, I'm afraid) took real pleasure in making up a batch for me at the time from the old formula in their books.

      This oil-based warm black will stay open on the press for a day or more (though I don't leave it on that long), and just has a wonderful flat sharpness to it, along with the unmistakable smell of good ink.

      I'm not sure any such supplier still exists...

      Thanks for tips!
      Cheers
      PF

      >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<

      Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com Sign up for "Type and Meaning" !
      Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
    • Matt Kelsey
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        Gans Ink has something which I think is called Letterpress Bond Black. It's
        got a nice stiff texture and works wonderfully with photopolymer (and with
        metal type) on my platen press. It probably won't stay open on press for
        more than a few hours, but I like an ink that dries quickly. I bought a can
        of it from John Sullivan of Logos Graphics at the SF Book Arts/Printer's
        Fair in May, but you should be able to get it directly from Gans. John said
        he has good results with it from photopolymer on his windmill. If I recall
        correctly, I believe he said it had a higher proportion of pigment in it
        (like the old fashioned letterpress inks) compared to offset ink
        formulations.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
          Matt

          Thanks for the info on the ink front. I've been put on to a "new" ink as
          well. And it seems to be worthwhile. Graphic Chemical & Ink Co.'s
          Lithographic Senefelder's Crayon Black No. 1803. Nice tack, quite
          sticky, with a nice string to it. Works quite well for a Vandercook or
          hand press right out of the can. Viscosity can also be altered (thinned)
          with their Graphic Litho Roll Up Black No. 1921 if need be.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
            Thanks all for the good info and pointers!

            BTW, I've recently purchased a can of the "good black stuff" from NA Graphics, haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to cracking it open...