Re: Scoring

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 2, 2007
      Take a look at the Fastbind C-400. There is one on Ebay right now
      (Auction 260144786204) for a very attractive price. I believe normal
      retail is about $1300. I was able to obtain one from a distributor for
      about $800 as it had been returned when the buyer returned it and the
      distributor wanted to peddle it as quickly as possible. I have been
      very happy with it, using it for cards and for book covers. You can
      see the other models they offer at http://www.maping.com/

      Mel
    • alncarter2003
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 6, 2007
        Scoring paper in quantity is the sort of work that's better done by a
        trade bindery than by yourself or your shop--that's what most
        commercial printers do. You could buy a heidelberg windmill or a
        miehle vertical to do that work but how long would it take you to pay
        that equipment off with whatever you charge for scoring--years?
        Instead, you simply send it out, get it done right, quickly, and
        cheaply, you mark it up and actually (gulp!) make a profit on the work
        instead of making an investment of time and money.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "leorawest" <leorawest@...> wrote:

        > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
        > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
        > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
        > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score quickly.
        > Thanks!

      • Jamison Hiner
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
          I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
          some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
          press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
          to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
          and error to get it centered?
        • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
            Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
            and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
            how to utilize it and get great results.

            I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
            it.

            Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
            Southwest Finishing, Inc.
            Ft.Worth, Texas
            APA # 800
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
              Fritz, I'll be interested in this as well.

              Thx
              Peter

              At 9:38 AM -0800 20 01 08, Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:
              >Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
              >and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
              >how to utilize it and get great results.
              >
              >I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
              >it.

              Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
              http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
              http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                Scoring is easier than printing, and no trial and error required.
                Assuming you are just scoring a card in half, you just need a rule
                from Fritz or somewhere. Lock it up, register it, and score away. If
                the cards are thick, you might want matrix, too. A small investment
                compared to the screwups of Kinkos, but just as easy.

                --Scott

                On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:09 AM, Jamison Hiner wrote:

                > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                > and error to get it centered?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • nagraph1
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                  Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                  steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                  off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                  of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                  printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                  that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                  packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                  This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                  properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                  according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                  tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                  cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                  what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                  on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                  and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.

                  Fritz

                  ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                  > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                  > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                  > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                  > and error to get it centered?

                • Jamison Hiner
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                    I will definitely be doing my own scoring from here on out. Now I need
                    help understanding which matrix I need to get. Most of my paper has
                    been the nice thick 110# lettra 100% cotton

                    Thank you all for your help
                    Jamie

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                    > Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                    > steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                    > off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                    > of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                    > printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                    > that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                    > packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                    > This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                    > properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                    > according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                    > tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                    > cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                    > what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                    > on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                    > and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.
                    >
                    > Fritz
                    >
                    > ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                    > > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                    > > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                    > > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                    > > and error to get it centered?

                  • nagraph1
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                      Knowing the paper/thickness points towards mauve that handles .020
                      to .024, or olive, in the same thickness range, the difference being
                      that mauve has a channel width of 1.7mm and olive has a channel widh
                      of 1.9mm. We stock the mauve, but any of the matrix is an easy order.
                      The backer thickness is .009", so that much packing has to be removed
                      or the scoring rule acts like a cutting rule.

                      Fritz

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>