Re: [PPLetterpress] print estimating/management software

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
      Isn't it disgusting? You'd think there would be a simple pop-up
      window that could do the estimations and calculations. Instead, all
      the software is high-end, designed for very big, profitable print
      shops. I finally hired a college guy to make one that will hopefully
      work in Excel. Even though i can estimate jobs in my head,
      practically, I would rather have a couple of people at a desk do it.
      If I can get this kid to write me a bit of software that will pop up
      and do the job, I will be so happy. If it works, I'll let you know
      how it goes.

      --Scott

      On Aug 1, 2007, at 6:27 PM, allenprinter wrote:

      > On the subject of the business of letterpress, is anyone with a
      > busy shop using cost
      > estimating and/or project management software? I'd like to do
      > quotes faster and more
      > accurately, and keep better track of projects. So I'm looking at
      > this kind of software. Most
      > packages I've come across are for large offset operations and much
      > too expensive. Any leads
      > gratefully accepted.
      > Thanks very much.
      > Brian Allen
      > bdallen@...
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
        If you are looking for a nice quick pricing program, I wrote one a couple
        years ago to fill my needs. Several letterpress printers have found it
        helpful. It is only available for PC's running Windows, but here is the
        website to download:

        http://software.kadetstationery.com

        Registration is $30, and it will be mostly fully functional for 30 days. I
        say mostly, because I can't remember off-hand if I disabled anything or not
        for the first 30 days.... But after that, there are some limits on what it
        will allow you to do...

        Take a look, and I am always willing to do some program updates to improve
        functionality....

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

      • allenprinter
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
          Lance,

          Thanks very much for this link. Looks like what I could use. I have a new MacBook Pro with
          Parallels and Windows Vista Business. Could you speculate whether your program would
          run as is on Vista?

          Brian

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams" <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

          > If you are looking for a nice quick pricing program, I wrote one a couple
          > years ago to fill my needs. Several letterpress printers have found it
          > helpful. It is only available for PC's running Windows, but here is the
          > website to download:
          >
          > http://software.kadetstationery.com
          >
          > Registration is $30, and it will be mostly fully functional for 30 days. I
          > say mostly, because I can't remember off-hand if I disabled anything or not
          > for the first 30 days.... But after that, there are some limits on what it
          > will allow you to do...
          >
          > Take a look, and I am always willing to do some program updates to improve
          > functionality....
          >
          > - Lance Williams
          > Williams Stationery Co.
          > Camden, New York
          > APA #785

        • Jason Wedekind
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
            I don't think you could call my shop busy, but seeing your .mac
            address made me think you may want to check out what I use for
            estimating/invoicing... It's called Billings.

            http://www.billings2.com/

            I was laughing at some of the reviews at versiontracker. I haven't
            had any real problems with it. And the price is definitely right,
            Bob! or Brian ;)

            Jason Wedekind
            http://www.genghiskern.com

            On Aug 1, 2007, at 6:27 PM, allenprinter wrote:

            > On the subject of the business of letterpress, is anyone with a
            > busy shop using cost
            > estimating and/or project management software? I'd like to do
            > quotes faster and more
            > accurately, and keep better track of projects. So I'm looking at
            > this kind of software. Most
            > packages I've come across are for large offset operations and much
            > too expensive. Any leads
            > gratefully accepted.
            > Thanks very much.
            > Brian Allen
            > bdallen@...

          • Lance Williams
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
              Well, I have never tried it, but is it programmed in Visual Basic by
              Microsoft, so I would hope the made Vista backwards compatable with at
              least XP. I would think so.. Just download the program and try it...

              - Lance

            • George Chapman
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                I'm sure that Lance's program is just fine for his operation and
                adaptable to your needs. That being said I did thousands of estimates
                manually over a ten year period at a successful small company in
                Kentucky using a simple fill in the blanks sheet. As they say, for a
                small shop, it ain't rocket science. The critical thing is setting the
                right basic values.

                gac
              • Scott Rubel
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                  For some people it is rocket science. As I've grown I've had to hire
                  people, and even though I can pretty much estimate in my head, they
                  can't. I keep them because they are very skilled "people persons" and
                  really help land the sales, but in order to have them function
                  mathematically I had to come up with a giant grid and I had to simplify
                  the estimating process, perhaps losing a little profit on some jobs and
                  making too much on others.

                  I have dreamed of a little pop-up calculator that is specific to my
                  particular needs and I may have it soon, I think. It will work in Excel.

                  --Scott

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 28, 2007
                    Going back to this question...
                    Jason, how are you using this (Billings) for estimating letterpress print jobs?

                    Is there an estimating system in the program or did you come up with your own approach to this?

                    thanks!

                    PF

                    At 9:43 AM -0600 2 08 07, Jason Wedekind wrote:
                    >I don't think you could call my shop busy, but seeing your .mac
                    >address made me think you may want to check out what I use for
                    >estimating/invoicing... It's called Billings.
                    >
                    >http://www.billings2.com/
                    >
                    >I was laughing at some of the reviews at versiontracker. I haven't
                    >had any real problems with it. And the price is definitely right,
                    >Bob! or Brian ;)
                    >
                    >Jason Wedekind
                    >http://www.genghiskern.com
                    >

                    >On Aug 1, 2007, at 6:27 PM, allenprinter wrote:
                    >
                    > > On the subject of the business of letterpress, is anyone with a
                    > > busy shop using cost
                    > > estimating and/or project management software? I'd like to do
                    > > quotes faster and more
                    > > accurately, and keep better track of projects. So I'm looking at
                    > > this kind of software. Most
                    > > packages I've come across are for large offset operations and much
                    > > too expensive. Any leads
                    > > gratefully accepted.
                    > > Thanks very much.
                    > > Brian Allen
                    > > bdallen@...

                    Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                    http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                    http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                  • Allison Chapman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 28, 2007
                      I love the Billings program. I am only about a month in, but I have found
                      it very helpful.

                      I have been doing the 30 day trial for Billings and the companion program,
                      Daylite. Daylite is a little bit more than I need at this point, I have
                      decided to just purchase Billings.

                      Allison

                    • Jason Wedekind
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                        There's an estimate "slip" in the software. They have expense, timed,
                        flat and one more category, and you can make your own sub categories.
                        Once you put your categories in there (platemaking, paper, film) it's
                        rather quick to put together an estimate. If the job moves forward,
                        you roll it into the working "slips" phase, then once it's done, you
                        roll to the "invoice". It saves me time personally. I used to do my
                        estimate/billing in InDesign. This is way faster/easier to track and
                        it pops out a professional looking form.

                        If I ever upgrade to a intel based mac I'll try Lance's software. It
                        sounds more printer based.

                        Hope that helps!

                        Jason Wedekind
                        303.960.5770