Re: Miehle V-36

  • nagraph1
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
      Lance--what we are missing is a Miehle serial number list. We could
      start one with known serial numbers and the date they shipped. I
      found reference to a serial number like 15,000 in an Inland Printer
      from about 1952 as Miehle sent out a press release. I should have
      noted the numbers on the machines being put together when I toured
      the Miehle plant in 1962, but that wasn't in my list of things to do
      back then. I'm sure that there are Miehles out there with original
      paper work, or manuals with the numbers and dates written in that
      could give us a clue. The bulk of production was post war up until
      the late 50s. I think with the X model, introduced because of the
      check printers, that there was another surge of production. MICR
      imprinting started in the early 1960s and the Miehle Vertical was
      the press of choice and several hundreds of them went to Deluxe,
      Harland, etc., and each of those companies had multiple plants
      around the country.

      Fritz

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
      <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

      > Hey Fritz,
      >
      > You made me go check our serial numbers to see where we stood
      in
      > line. All our presses are pre-War V-50's. Serial numbers 11694,
      > 11748, 12117 and 12318, respectively. All the presses were bought
      > new directly from Miehle.
      >
      > We also have one post-war V-50 we picked up from the NYS
      School
      > for the Deaf in Rome back in the early 80's when they sold off all
      > their letterpress equipment (We got the V-50 and an Intertype for
      > $500).
      >
      > - Lance Williams
      > Williams Stationery Co.
      > Camden, New York
      > APA #785

    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
        Fritz,

        When we get to cooler weather here, I'll go upstairs in the storehouse
        (extremely hot up there in the summer), and I'll bet in one of the filing
        cabinets up there are the original purchase invoices of the presses we
        have... If I can find them, it will be a place to start, anyway <grin>.

        - Lance