Re: Scoring

  • leorawest
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1 5:28 PM
      Thank you for your sound advice, Fritz. Indeed, we already plan to
      purchase Heidelberg in February or so when we move into a larger
      space. However, we absolutely do not have the room to add a press at
      our current location, and absolutely cannot move before the end of our
      lease. (And yes, we are feeling lucky to be having "growing pains".)

      We would really like to find a smallish, reliable scoring machine that,
      even if only manually scores one at a time, could help us through this
      transition period of about 6 months. Are we dreaming?

      > >nagraph1 wrote:
      > >
      > >>I'm trying to get 2 + 2 to equal 4 here, but Leora needs to move
      > >>from a slow hand fed platen to a high speed, high production rate
      > >>folder so they can expand their slow hand fed press work? Will it
      > >>take 3 shifts a day on the C&P to furnish even an hour's worth of
      > > >scoring/folding a day?
    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1 6:06 PM
        Well, you're on the right track. I don't know a thing about this
        company, but check what they have:

        http://www.adss.net/index.php?cPath=24_47

        and the first non-manual machine they show is made by Rosback, a
        well known and respected US company. The other brand I see that is
        from Canada is Graphic Wizard, but these machine units equal that of
        the Heidelberg in cost, though certainly don't take up the same
        room. We used to supply Graphic Wizard with their scoring and
        perforating discs as they are standard Cowan discs we make.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "leorawest" <leorawest@...>
        wrote:

        > Thank you for your sound advice, Fritz. Indeed, we already plan
        > purchase Heidelberg in February or so when we move into a larger
        > space. However, we absolutely do not have the room to add a press
        at
        > our current location, and absolutely cannot move before the end of
        our
        > lease. (And yes, we are feeling lucky to be having "growing
        pains".)

        > We would really like to find a smallish, reliable scoring machine
        that,
        > even if only manually scores one at a time, could help us through
        this
        > transition period of about 6 months. Are we dreaming?

      • Mel
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 2 6:00 AM
          Take a look at the Fastbind C-400. There is one on Ebay right now
          (Auction 260144786204) for a very attractive price. I believe normal
          retail is about $1300. I was able to obtain one from a distributor for
          about $800 as it had been returned when the buyer returned it and the
          distributor wanted to peddle it as quickly as possible. I have been
          very happy with it, using it for cards and for book covers. You can
          see the other models they offer at http://www.maping.com/

          Mel
        • alncarter2003
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 6 4:16 PM
            Scoring paper in quantity is the sort of work that's better done by a
            trade bindery than by yourself or your shop--that's what most
            commercial printers do. You could buy a heidelberg windmill or a
            miehle vertical to do that work but how long would it take you to pay
            that equipment off with whatever you charge for scoring--years?
            Instead, you simply send it out, get it done right, quickly, and
            cheaply, you mark it up and actually (gulp!) make a profit on the work
            instead of making an investment of time and money.

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "leorawest" <leorawest@...> wrote:

            > We are currently using our C&P for scoring, but are finding that we
            > need to move this task off the press to accomodate our business. Any
            > suggestions on what type of scoring machine (or score/fold combo) to
            > get? We use minimum 80#, and up to 300# that we need to score quickly.
            > Thanks!

          • Jamison Hiner
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
              I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
              some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
              press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
              to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
              and error to get it centered?
            • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
                and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
                how to utilize it and get great results.

                I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
                it.

                Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
                Southwest Finishing, Inc.
                Ft.Worth, Texas
                APA # 800
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                  Fritz, I'll be interested in this as well.

                  Thx
                  Peter

                  At 9:38 AM -0800 20 01 08, Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:
                  >Contact Fritz at NA Graphics. He has scoring Matrix
                  >and rule. I am sure he can direct you accordingly on
                  >how to utilize it and get great results.
                  >
                  >I score using Matrix everyday. I don't score without
                  >it.

                  Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                  http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                  http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                • Scott Rubel
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                    Scoring is easier than printing, and no trial and error required.
                    Assuming you are just scoring a card in half, you just need a rule
                    from Fritz or somewhere. Lock it up, register it, and score away. If
                    the cards are thick, you might want matrix, too. A small investment
                    compared to the screwups of Kinkos, but just as easy.

                    --Scott

                    On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:09 AM, Jamison Hiner wrote:

                    > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                    > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                    > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                    > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                    > and error to get it centered?
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • nagraph1
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                      Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                      steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                      off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                      of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                      printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                      that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                      packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                      This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                      properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                      according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                      tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                      cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                      what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                      on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                      and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.

                      Fritz

                      ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                      > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                      > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                      > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                      > and error to get it centered?

                    • Jamison Hiner
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                        I will definitely be doing my own scoring from here on out. Now I need
                        help understanding which matrix I need to get. Most of my paper has
                        been the nice thick 110# lettra 100% cotton

                        Thank you all for your help
                        Jamie

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                        > Treat a scoring job just like a printing job--lockup a piece of 2 pt
                        > steel scoring rule suitable for the work at hand, take the ink rollers
                        > off the press, get position for setting gauges (take a trial impression
                        > of the rule with a touch of ink on its face so you can see the rule
                        > printed on the tympan) and then use scoring matrix for the counter die
                        > that the rule pushes the paper into, and you're set after removing some
                        > packing to allow for the thickness of the backing used on the matrix.
                        > This is good for up to thousands of impressions and if laid out
                        > properly will give perfect scores in register. Matrix is sized
                        > according to thickness of the paper (not basis weight), adheres to the
                        > tympan, and is used once, then discarded. Anyone with a platen or
                        > cylinder press who sends their simple scoring work out needs to rethink
                        > what they are doing. Difficult die cutting and related should be done
                        > on the appropriate equipment, but scoring is simple. Keep it in house
                        > and keep the money where it belongs, in your pocket.
                        >
                        > Fritz
                        >
                        > ---------PLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm sick of Kinkos messing up my jobs. Im looking for a way to score
                        > > some cards. I will either purchase a simple machine or do it on my
                        > > press. Is there some sort of template that one can lock in his press
                        > > to easily score different sized cards or is it just a matter of trial
                        > > and error to get it centered?

                      • nagraph1
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                          Knowing the paper/thickness points towards mauve that handles .020
                          to .024, or olive, in the same thickness range, the difference being
                          that mauve has a channel width of 1.7mm and olive has a channel widh
                          of 1.9mm. We stock the mauve, but any of the matrix is an easy order.
                          The backer thickness is .009", so that much packing has to be removed
                          or the scoring rule acts like a cutting rule.

                          Fritz

                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Jamison Hiner" <jamie@...>