Re: Miehle V-36

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hey Fritz,

      You made me go check our serial numbers to see where we stood in
      line. All our presses are pre-War V-50's. Serial numbers 11694,
      11748, 12117 and 12318, respectively. All the presses were bought
      new directly from Miehle.

      We also have one post-war V-50 we picked up from the NYS School
      for the Deaf in Rome back in the early 80's when they sold off all
      their letterpress equipment (We got the V-50 and an Intertype for
      $500).

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

      > Some Miehle Vertical dates: V-36 introduced in March 1922, V-45
      > introduced late 1931 with serial number 7343, the pre-war version
      of
      > the V-50 introduced March, 1940 with serial number 11119. The post
      > war model had several design changes. Serial number 15,000 was
      > delivered in 1953. Then there was the X model, introduced about
      1965-
      > 66.
      >
      > Fritz
    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
        Lance--what we are missing is a Miehle serial number list. We could
        start one with known serial numbers and the date they shipped. I
        found reference to a serial number like 15,000 in an Inland Printer
        from about 1952 as Miehle sent out a press release. I should have
        noted the numbers on the machines being put together when I toured
        the Miehle plant in 1962, but that wasn't in my list of things to do
        back then. I'm sure that there are Miehles out there with original
        paper work, or manuals with the numbers and dates written in that
        could give us a clue. The bulk of production was post war up until
        the late 50s. I think with the X model, introduced because of the
        check printers, that there was another surge of production. MICR
        imprinting started in the early 1960s and the Miehle Vertical was
        the press of choice and several hundreds of them went to Deluxe,
        Harland, etc., and each of those companies had multiple plants
        around the country.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
        <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

        > Hey Fritz,
        >
        > You made me go check our serial numbers to see where we stood
        in
        > line. All our presses are pre-War V-50's. Serial numbers 11694,
        > 11748, 12117 and 12318, respectively. All the presses were bought
        > new directly from Miehle.
        >
        > We also have one post-war V-50 we picked up from the NYS
        School
        > for the Deaf in Rome back in the early 80's when they sold off all
        > their letterpress equipment (We got the V-50 and an Intertype for
        > $500).
        >
        > - Lance Williams
        > Williams Stationery Co.
        > Camden, New York
        > APA #785

      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
          Fritz,

          When we get to cooler weather here, I'll go upstairs in the storehouse
          (extremely hot up there in the summer), and I'll bet in one of the filing
          cabinets up there are the original purchase invoices of the presses we
          have... If I can find them, it will be a place to start, anyway <grin>.

          - Lance