Re: [PPLetterpress] August issue of Galley Gab published

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 12:23 PM
      Mike
      Looks great in the new format!
      Thanks also for the plug on Parsons. I really do need to get those extended 'scenders done ;-)

      BTW, the plaster-of-Paris lockup has been around for a long long time.
      I can't tell you exactly, but when I bought my original equipment (in 1980) from a stationer's shop in Evanston IL, there was a tied-up form in the galleys which used plaster around a couple of thin rules to set type in a nice arc around a title in the center. As the shop had been unused for at least 20 years, most of the jobs in the galley were from the late 50s or early 1960s

      The first I heard of use on the Vandercook was from Wolfgang Weingart, the (in-)famous bad boy of Swiss typography, who in those Halcyon days of the 60s literally bent and broke all the rules at the Basel Design School, setting type in diagonals, curves and all over the bed, setting it all in plaster! He would fill the entire bed of the press... I went to Basel in the mid-90s and they were still teaching typography with the flatbed press, alongside the Macintosh. I don't think there was any photo-polymer at the time however.

      I met Weingart in the late 80s when I was teaching at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
      Interesting guy ;-) In fact, he married a good friend and fine designer/calligrapher, Kate Wolff, who is still in Basel, if not with WW...

      Cheers
      PF

      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus