Miehle V-36

  • juliemackenzie2003
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
      Hello-

      I am contemplating purchasing this press and what to know if anyone
      has any experience with this type. I currently use a Vandercook 4 and
      C&P. The person who has it, has been printing on it for 50 years and
      besides a little exterior grime, seems to be working like a champ. (I
      think I can get him to teach me how to use as well) I am looking to
      purchase something like this or a heidelberg. This happens to be in
      the same town as I and already on a pallet and dont see any problems
      moving. I would like to know, what people think about the ease of
      running, learning curve, make ready and clean up of this press. I
      will be using a boxcar base and plates with it. Any advice would be
      greatly appreciated. I would like to larger runs of notecards and
      such on it.

      Thanks,
      Julie MacKenzie
      www.mackenziepress.com
    • speedgray@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
        Julie:

        A V-36 is a fine press. It is more basic than the V-45 or the V-50, yet does
        a fine job of printing. There are many differences between this machine and
        the ones you are used to. The biggest difference is the automatic feeder and
        delivery. The press will only run as good as the feeder is set-up, but once
        you master the feeder you will really enjoy running the press. Make sure that
        the voltage requirements of the motor are proper for where you will move it.
        The press can be moved easily with a pallet jack.

        I have run hundreds of thousands of impressions on a V-36, and it did a fine
        job. I was running mostly 60# coated one side label stock, but it seldom
        missed a sheet. I currently own a V-50. It is a bit "bigger, and more heavy
        duty" than the V-36. But, for your type of printing, it will do fine. You will
        also have to learn how to operate a "real" ink fountain, but that also will come
        with experience.

        You might want to check out MiehleVerticalWorld on Yahoo groups; that;s
        another place to get some answers to all the questions you will have.

        Go luck to you! I am sure you will find running the V-36 a pleasant
        experience.

        Speed Gray, APA 736
        Letterpress Green Sheet
        Ada, MI

      • juliemackenzie2003
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
          Thanks Speed.

          He has the ink fountain but doesnt use it, so I am sure I will need to
          figure that out. I need to go back and take a look. It seemed to me
          that it seemed a bit cumbersome to get in and clean the ink off. But
          maybe I just didnt look close enough. I will be printing on mostly
          soft 140 lb paper like somerset or magnani pescia. Do you foresee any
          problems feeding that type of paper

          It is set up with a 220, so that sould be no problem for me.

          Thanks again

          Julie
        • speedgray@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
            Julie:

            The ink fountain on all the various Miehle Vertical models is, in my
            opinion, the weak part of the press. Oh, the ink fountains work fine, but they have
            a few strange quirks. First, when the feeder is closed and in operating
            position, the ink fountain keys are somewhat difficult to get at. You'll get used
            to it. Second, when the press is idling over, but the fountain roller is
            activated, it continues to feed ink into the ink train via the ductor roller
            regardless if the press is feeding sheets and on impression or not. Therefore,
            very quickly you will learn to flip off the feed mechanism anytime you are not
            feeding sheets so as to not over ink the form.

            The fountain roller is powered via a long arm with a cam follower on the
            end, which is driven by a cam on the main drive shaft of the press. This
            arrangement works very well, just make sure that since the fountain has been
            removed, all the pieces are there to put everything back together.

            Many Miehle Vertical owners remove the ink fountain if they are just
            die-cutting, numbering, or scoring. If your forms do not have heavy coverage, you
            can just "dab on a little ink" and that will work too, like you do on your C&P.

            Because the V-36 is a true cylinder press, the paper must "wrap around" the
            cylinder to feed properly. Usually, when you buy your stock, you will want to
            lay out the form with the grain of the paper running parallel to the cylinder
            and gripper (long grain). However, is the paper is not "too" heavy, then
            running the grain short (snap grain) is okay too. There are some wheels under
            the transfer board to hold the sheet against the cylinder as the press is
            running to keep from marking the tail end of the sheet.

            You should remove the packing from the cylinder and check the condition. If
            the press has been used (or abused) for diecutting without a jacket, then the
            cylinder surface will have deep cuts in it. This should cause you to
            immediately "walk away." Light marks are okay, but the cylinder should be flat, no
            deep pitted rust marks, and not caved in as if the form had pied when the
            press was running (smash-up). It is acceptable to clean up the cylinder with some
            light emery if it's not too bad. The press requires .050 packing, and that
            can cover some flaws in the cylinder.

            The V-36 has a manual lubrication system. This press is also very old. I
            believe the V-36 press was phased out in the mid-30's when the V-45s were
            introduced. Just make sure the press turns over smoothly, that the bed ways are not
            scored, and that all parts move freely. You should be able to turn the press
            over easily by hand just by grabbing the flywheel on the side. Printers are
            notorious for not following prescribed lubrication recommendations. This
            press has certainly seen some abuse just because it is as old as it is.

            A good friend had two V-36s till he retired a year or so ago. Both were nice
            a tight, well cared for, and ran like dreams. Good V-36s are great presses.
            Poor ones are trash.

            I don't mean to stick my nose in your business, but a good price for a
            "nice" V-36 would be $500 or less. Free is better. I have been "given" V-36s and
            V-50s several times in the recent past, and have turned down many more. I just
            said "no" to a V-50 for $300. So, don't pay too much! Now, if the price
            includes some "training" by the owner for you, or moving the press, that's another
            matter.

            As Miehle liked to say in the advertisements years ago, that the Miehle
            Vertical made many printers rich people. It's a wonderful job press.

            Let me know what else you need to know.

            Best,

            Speed

          • Scott Rubel
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
              I used to have a V-36 and thought it was great. I found myself doing
              a lot of work, however, that a cylinder cannot do, like tissue over a
              big form will distort, and of course if the paper is really stiff it
              won't go around a cylinder. It's a fine press, though, and should
              never break.

              --Scott

              On Jul 26, 2007, at 1:10 PM, speedgray@... wrote:

              > Julie:
              >
              > A V-36 is a fine press. It is more basic than the V-45 or the V-50,
              > yet does
              > a fine job of printing. There are many differences between this
              > machine and
              > the ones you are used to. The biggest difference is the automatic
              > feeder and
              > delivery. The press will only run as good as the feeder is set-up,
              > but once
              > you master the feeder you will really enjoy running the press.
              > Make sure that
              > the voltage requirements of the motor are proper for where you
              > will move it.
              > The press can be moved easily with a pallet jack.
              >
              > I have run hundreds of thousands of impressions on a V-36, and it
              > did a fine
              > job. I was running mostly 60# coated one side label stock, but it
              > seldom
              > missed a sheet. I currently own a V-50. It is a bit "bigger, and
              > more heavy
              > duty" than the V-36. But, for your type of printing, it will do
              > fine. You will
              > also have to learn how to operate a "real" ink fountain, but that
              > also will come
              > with experience.
              >
              > You might want to check out MiehleVerticalWorld on Yahoo groups;
              > that;s
              > another place to get some answers to all the questions you will have.
              >
              > Go luck to you! I am sure you will find running the V-36 a pleasant
              > experience.
              >

              > Speed Gray, APA 736
              > Letterpress Green Sheet
              > Ada, MI
            • nagraph1
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
                Some Miehle Vertical dates: V-36 introduced in March 1922, V-45
                introduced late 1931 with serial number 7343, the pre-war version of
                the V-50 introduced March, 1940 with serial number 11119. The post
                war model had several design changes. Serial number 15,000 was
                delivered in 1953. Then there was the X model, introduced about 1965-
                66.

                Fritz

              • speedgray@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
                  Vertical dates. There you go Julie!

                  Speed

                • bellky6030
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
                    Memories, memories....I ran a V-50 many years ago (30+) at a label shop
                    in Kalamazoo, MI. All our stock was pressure sensitive, from .003
                    chrome mylar to .010 brushed aluminum to .005 white vynil. We used
                    mostly oil based inks but also ran some vynil based stuff that would
                    dry on the rollers while the press was running and took some really hot
                    solvent to clean.

                    We had one job that came in every 8 weeks or so. It was for a label to
                    go on a Lochinvar water heater: six colors, embossed, face-split, and
                    die cut on chrome mylar. All that for 300 run.

                    I remember the Meihle as a solid workhorse of a press; rarely had any
                    trouble as long as I kept it oiled.
                  • juliemackenzie2003
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
                      Ahh.. Fantastic. Thats what I needed to read. I will go and take a
                      good lookover. Things I get too excited about since its so close to
                      home. As for price, no worries about sticking your nose in. Thats
                      what I wanted to hear as well. I asked him the price and he said the
                      same price for 3 different items. I dont think hes knows what to
                      charge.

                      Thanks for the serial number reference Fritz. I will take a look at
                      that as well.

                      Thanks for all the help.

                      Julie MacKenzie
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 26, 2007
                        Hi Fritz

                        This is the same press I noted a month or two ago.
                        Still no luck getting the cylinder to turn when the core 'locking key' is in place.
                        I believe you mentioned the wooden bushings in this assembly.
                        I'm just wondering if there's any hope of getting this busted open, or if it's pretty much a lost cause...

                        The cylinder does turn if I remove the locking-key, but I don't know what the possible drawbacks of this would be....

                        Also, what sort of lubricant should go into the gearbox that drives the cylinder?

                        I drained the thing, and it is about the consistency of 30W motor oil (but black as pitch, I expect it had been in there for 50 years.)

                        many thanks for pointers!
                        ciao
                        peter
                        >ARTQ: Help stop in-box bloat! Always Remember to Trim the Quote!<

                        Semiotx Inc http://typeandmeaning.com Sign up for "Type and Meaning" !
                        Creative/IT facilitation "Free Range IT" Plone CMS Typography
                        Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                        http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                      • Kevin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 28, 2007
                          Hi Julie, I purchased a V36 a little while ago and have been teaching
                          myself how to operate it (along with some very helpful tips from
                          several Vertical operators on the letterpress lists/groups). I just
                          ran my first job on the press not more than a week ago. I die-cut
                          some envelope liners for an invitation project I'm working on and
                          things went very well for my first attempt ever at die-cutting. The
                          press was honestly pretty easy to set up. The die-cutting job was
                          pretty intimidating, but once I started going through the steps to
                          setup the job everything went very well. I'm really looking forward
                          to spending more time on this press.

                          Mine came with a die-cutting jacket but no ink rollers or the
                          brackets/carriages that the hold the rollers. I had to track these
                          parts down. It did have the ink fountain which is sometimes missing
                          on these presses.

                          One of the things I upgraded on my press was adding modern Bigfoot
                          suckers. NA Graphics has them: http://tinyurl.com/3472uo

                          If you do purchase this press I highly suggest the following books:

                          Catalogue Of Parts, The Vertical Press
                          The Miehle Vertical, Presswork Lessons For Students Of Printing
                          A Handbook For The Operation Of The V-36 Miehle Vertical

                          All of these books are specific to the V-36 and have been extremely
                          helpful. You will have to search for these books as they are all out
                          of print. I was lucky enough to find some for good prices on Ebay.
                          Other good places to look would be www.abebooks.com and www.biblio.com.

                          I just checked and biblio.com has the Catalogue Of Parts: http://
                          tinyurl.com/2kj5ow

                          abebooks.com has the Catalogue Of Parts and The Miehle Vertical,
                          Presswork Lessons For Students Of Printing: http://tinyurl.com/33ls4b
                          These two books alone would be a wealth of information geared
                          specifically to that press.

                          In all I've been very happy with the press and enjoy running it. I'd
                          be happy to offer any help/advise, just let me know.
                          Kevin.
                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 28, 2007
                            The links I supplied in my post got messed up. Let me try them again:

                            http://tinyurl.com/3472uo

                            http://tinyurl.com/2kj5ow

                            http://tinyurl.com/33ls4b

                            I hope these don't break this time. If so, you'll just have to copy/
                            paste I guess.

                            Kevin.
                          • nagraph1
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
                              Here's a link to how the Big Foot feeder shoes are set up on a Miehle
                              Vertical, in this case the V-50. I feel they work much better with
                              less hassle than the original feeder shoes.

                              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1282/936553051_4d48a85a4c_o.jpg

                              Fritz

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kevin <kevin@...> wrote:

                              > The links I supplied in my post got messed up. Let me try them again:
                              >
                              > http://tinyurl.com/3472uo
                              >
                              > http://tinyurl.com/2kj5ow
                              >
                              > http://tinyurl.com/33ls4b
                              >
                              > I hope these don't break this time. If so, you'll just have to copy/
                              > paste I guess.
                              >
                              > Kevin.

                            • Lance Williams
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
                                Hey Fritz,

                                You made me go check our serial numbers to see where we stood in
                                line. All our presses are pre-War V-50's. Serial numbers 11694,
                                11748, 12117 and 12318, respectively. All the presses were bought
                                new directly from Miehle.

                                We also have one post-war V-50 we picked up from the NYS School
                                for the Deaf in Rome back in the early 80's when they sold off all
                                their letterpress equipment (We got the V-50 and an Intertype for
                                $500).

                                - Lance Williams
                                Williams Stationery Co.
                                Camden, New York
                                APA #785

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                                > Some Miehle Vertical dates: V-36 introduced in March 1922, V-45
                                > introduced late 1931 with serial number 7343, the pre-war version
                                of
                                > the V-50 introduced March, 1940 with serial number 11119. The post
                                > war model had several design changes. Serial number 15,000 was
                                > delivered in 1953. Then there was the X model, introduced about
                                1965-
                                > 66.
                                >
                                > Fritz
                              • nagraph1
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
                                  Lance--what we are missing is a Miehle serial number list. We could
                                  start one with known serial numbers and the date they shipped. I
                                  found reference to a serial number like 15,000 in an Inland Printer
                                  from about 1952 as Miehle sent out a press release. I should have
                                  noted the numbers on the machines being put together when I toured
                                  the Miehle plant in 1962, but that wasn't in my list of things to do
                                  back then. I'm sure that there are Miehles out there with original
                                  paper work, or manuals with the numbers and dates written in that
                                  could give us a clue. The bulk of production was post war up until
                                  the late 50s. I think with the X model, introduced because of the
                                  check printers, that there was another surge of production. MICR
                                  imprinting started in the early 1960s and the Miehle Vertical was
                                  the press of choice and several hundreds of them went to Deluxe,
                                  Harland, etc., and each of those companies had multiple plants
                                  around the country.

                                  Fritz

                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
                                  <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey Fritz,
                                  >
                                  > You made me go check our serial numbers to see where we stood
                                  in
                                  > line. All our presses are pre-War V-50's. Serial numbers 11694,
                                  > 11748, 12117 and 12318, respectively. All the presses were bought
                                  > new directly from Miehle.
                                  >
                                  > We also have one post-war V-50 we picked up from the NYS
                                  School
                                  > for the Deaf in Rome back in the early 80's when they sold off all
                                  > their letterpress equipment (We got the V-50 and an Intertype for
                                  > $500).
                                  >
                                  > - Lance Williams
                                  > Williams Stationery Co.
                                  > Camden, New York
                                  > APA #785

                                • Lance Williams
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 1, 2007
                                    Fritz,

                                    When we get to cooler weather here, I'll go upstairs in the storehouse
                                    (extremely hot up there in the summer), and I'll bet in one of the filing
                                    cabinets up there are the original purchase invoices of the presses we
                                    have... If I can find them, it will be a place to start, anyway <grin>.

                                    - Lance