Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: correcting ink spread

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2002
      Hi Gerald,

      As you say there is a bit more art than science
      but the usual is: Amount
      500%, radius about 1.2 pixels and threshold about
      5. set the amount at 500
      and then play with the radius, at some point you
      will quickly see you will
      get the optimal result. I don't know if this is
      the best way, just what I
      have discovered is best for me. I would
      appreciate any feedback from others
      in this regard.

      Mark Attwood

      The Artists' Press
      Box 623
      Newtown
      2113
      South Africa

      Tel. +27 11 836 5474
      fax. +27 11 836 6858
      mark@...

      Dear Mark

      Thought I'd test this out with a something I would have found quite difficult.
      I downloaded an image of one of Tycho's Brahe's astronomical instruments,
      printed in the 16th century. This was a very colorful JPEG at 300 dpi. I
      opened it in Photoshop, re-sampled to 600 dpi and converted it to a grayscale.
      I ran your formula twice and converted the file to b/w bitmap while
      re-sampling to 1200 dpi. I printed it out at 1200 dpi. Fell out of my chair.
      Absolute clarity and as perfect a conversion of the blacks and whites as I
      have ever seen. All in about five minutes of time!!!

      You have found the Holy Grail my son. I get down on my knees to you.

      All best