Re: Typography sort of business book: Typo

  • nagraph1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2007
      One interesting line from this book is: "The process of laying bits
      of lead together to make lines of type has passed away for all but
      the most remote Jungle Daily." So the typesetting referred to is not
      hot metal or related but electronic. One reviewer refers to the
      author as being a jackass, but it could be interesting reading as
      Brian suggests. I was blissfully unaware that most typesetting for
      book work, and who knows what else, is now done in India. Perhaps
      the proofreaders and editors are from there as well and that would
      explain some of the shoddy work seen in printed books and magazines.
      One reviewer cited a reference that as many as 40 million jobs will
      be outsourced, so maybe the American heartland will become the
      jungle of metal typesetting--ironic that we technologically trashed
      ourselves.

      Fritz

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "allenprinter"
      <allenprinter@...> wrote:

      > FYI - I saw a rather interesting new book at my local bookstore
      yesterday:
      > "Typo: The Last American Typesetter, or How I Made and Lost 4
      Million Dollars",